Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I ran across him last night looking for versions of "The Chicken" and noticed his peculiar right hand techniques. Look and listen to about the minute starting at 1:20...

Sometimes he is playing like a bass player with his thumb resting above the pickup, using his first two fingers, sometimes he shifts his thumb to rest on a wound string, sometimes he rotates is hand forward and looks like he is just floating on the two fingers, sometimes he uses the two fingers with the thumb to play, sometimes includes the third finger with the togther two and the thumb....

Using these same techniques, listen specifically to the tone of his play Donna Lee... looks and sounds effortless.

Who else plays like this? Anyone know what these techniques are called, or is this his own home brew method?
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Impossible to guess how Matteo Mancuso came by this technique.

African kora is played with each hand using thumb and 1st finger.
    Richard Bona and numerous other West African bassists integrate a variant on this technique with the right hand,
    sometimes also using the 2nd and 3rd fingers. I like to play this way doing some fingerstyle things on cello.
    Matteo (in these videos anyway) uses this technique to cover fast and wide string crossings.
    He does make it look effortless.

User Info Menu

Mancuso seems to have a unique right hand style that sure works for him. Very much like advanced electric bass technique.

Sylvain Courtney plays with no thumb, but floats over the strings more.

YIKES! That's incredible!

I'm guessing he started out playing bass and switched to guitar. That being the case, he made the right choice. Makes me want to quit now.
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

He might have been classically trained as it seems he is mostly using Rest Strokes (Apoyando) with a couple of free strokes thrown in there for good measure. I'm classically trained and I do the same thing he does though I would like to get as good as him someday!

User Info Menu

Matteo is using mainly rest strokes with some free strokes off and on which are classical guitar techniques.

He is also for the most part directly alternating his index and middle fingers but sometimes he will slide one of those fingers from string to string when he is playing descending lines.

At one point he switched to using his ring, middle, and index fingers free stroke when he was playing arpeggio related lines on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings respectively.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

User Info Menu

Randy Napoleon uses this sort of technique. He often anchors his thumb above the bass E string and picks with two, sometimes three, fingers. He also plays with his thumb at times. He's a very fine jazz guitarist, tours with Freddie Cole and has a university jazz chair. Here he plays a tribute to Wes, Grant Green, and Kenny Burrell. His thumb creates a mellower, darker tone than his fingers. I've tried, briefly, playing that way and can't do it effectively. I'm limited to a pick, and life is too short to try to change.

User Info Menu

This video might give a better view of Randy's picking technique. His solo starts at 2:36. And hang around for Peter Bernstein's solo immediately following.

User Info Menu

Actually, I just recalled that guitar giant Mick Goodrick uses that index/middle two finger technique for his soloing.

User Info Menu

There's another Video of him playing Cherokee even better.

To add to what Steve Herron said - it's kind of a stabilized rest stroke technique also used by Yamandu Costa where thumb rests on top of fingerboard ( you will not see it always on Costa' s lines but sometimes on difficult single lines-
    because Costa is from the Guitar Planet where it's very easy to play Guitar apparently lol...) .

This - his timing is getting better -

He can really pick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    This video might give a better view of Randy's picking technique. His solo starts at 2:36. And hang around for Peter Bernstein's solo immediately following.
    Screech can play!

All joking aside, that guy is amazing! They all are.

Zac
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon View Post
    He might have been classically trained as it seems he is mostly using Rest Strokes (Apoyando) with a couple of free strokes thrown in there for good measure. I'm classically trained and I do the same thing he does though I would like to get as good as him someday!
    I seem to recall from one of his video comments that he is NOT classically trained and that this is just how he learned to play.

User Info Menu

Interesting. I take back what I said then lol

User Info Menu

Mancuso demos the Yamaha THR30II Wireless. I'm definitely going to work on his picking technique for guitar as I have been practicing my bass playing modeled after bassist Hadrien Feraud's picking style. Lots of work!

User Info Menu

That type of picking is done far better by Randy Napoleon. Better technique, better playing, better in every way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ovader View Post
    Mancuso demos the Yamaha THR30II Wireless. I'm definitely going to work on his picking technique for guitar as I have been practicing my bass playing modeled after bassist Hadrien Feraud's picking style. Lots of work!
    Amazing technique, he's a monster.

User Info Menu

I checked out the playing of Randy Napoleon mentioned above and I didn't find anything impressive compared to Mancuso's technique. Back in February Matteo Mancuso Trio (Riccardo Oliva - Bass, Stefano Volpe - Drums) appeared after the 1:03:00 or -55:00 minute mark once they sort themselves out onstage before performing some impressive Jazz Fusion music from the 2019 Young Guitar Festival in Bangkok. bit.ly/2GiwDqd

User Info Menu

I read Mancuso performed The Chicken at NAMM 2019 and luckily came across this unlisted video via the Line 6 YT account.

User Info Menu

I think this technique is called "Something I will never do in my wildest dreams". Just as I was getting over Pasquale's impossible feats, this guy comes along and just blows my mind.

User Info Menu

cool... seems or sounds like new Gyspy technique.... hope it goes somewhere.

User Info Menu

Blows my mind from a speed and chops standpoint but I would never listen to it again. That guy has worked hard developing his chops. kudos to him. But is he saying anything? Meh... no soul to it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo View Post
    Blows my mind from a speed and chops standpoint but I would never listen to it again. That guy has worked hard developing his chops. kudos to him. But is he saying anything? Meh... no soul to it...
    Well how about the aforementioned Donna Lee video? That's pretty damn mature straight-ahead playing, no? And he was only 20.

Now imagine listening to this solo without attribution while watching the transcription:

What do you think about this one?

I find him to be a masterful player both technique-wise and conceptually. Not Just Another Instagram Wizard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub View Post
    Well how about the aforementioned Donna Lee video? That's pretty damn mature straight-ahead playing, no? And he was only 20.

Now imagine listening to this solo without attribution while watching the transcription:

What do you think about this one?

I find him to be a masterful player both technique-wise and conceptually. Not Just Another Instagram Wizard.
    No sorry - I am not interested in this kind of playing. It is a bit of a circus act to me blowing over changes at that speed. There is (to me) no compelling emotional content and I just get bored after a short while. He has dedicated a massive amount of time to developing chops and I respect anyone that does that but if this is the future of a jazz guitar I am no interested.

User Info Menu

His father is an accomplished player, who's on the band of one of the best italian singer and composer.
    Matteo, AfAIK is classically trained and his playing is spectacular . Lots of notes, but none of these is there just to fill the gap. Just a ve ry talented guy who probably will be one of the future (present) guitar monsters. And yes, if you happen to see him live, the following week you'll ask yourself " how can he do it?"