The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hello,
    I just got an Ibanez Artcore AS73 and I am trying to find comfortable balance while seated playing. The main thing is getting my left wrist comfortable while chording, mainly bar chords. I am wondering about thumb position and mostly how to keep the guitar balanced in my lap when I raise the neck up. The weight of the guitar body wants to pull it backwards when I lift the neck. So I am wondering if I just need to put my hand/thumb in a better position or find a way to balance the guitar better.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I never rely on the left (fretting) hand to support the guitar. I hold the body against my left leg and the neck up at 45 degrees. At some point I found a guitar leg support made in Turkey, and I actually (egads) screwed it to the side of my guitar. It's great! Very comfortable and holds the guitar perfectly.

Guitar Balance-screen-shot-2019-01-31-7-41-30-am-png

Good luck
    David

User Info Menu

Agreed. You should never use your fretting hand to hold the position of the guitar while you are playing. It should rest naturally, so your fretting hand can play rather than holding up the guitar. That's probably where the problem is. Try to lean the guitar back and angle it at a 45. That should help a lot.

Also, you can play sitting down with a strap. That will help bring the neck up to a comfortable playing position. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to straddle this guitar since the bout is so big.

User Info Menu

I always use a strap, both sitting and standing, so it is always supported and in the same position on my body when I play.

User Info Menu

The easiest, and perhaps the most reliable support is a strap. A good strap, properly adjusted (and this can take time and lots of readjustment to get right) will keep the guitar where you want it without having to constantly wrestle with it. This is especially important for beginners, IMO.

User Info Menu

Use a small foot stool like a kid's stepstool.

Put your foot on it.

https://shared1.ad-lister.co.uk/User...stool-mini.jpg

They sell specially made foot stools for this purpose but a cheap plastic kid's stepstool works just as well and is very durable.

https://tomorrowtop.guphotos.com/i/w...-f503-sNPv.jpg

User Info Menu

I find that a larger problem is unbalanced guitarists.

User Info Menu

Well, I thought that was a requirement for playing guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Well, I thought that was a requirement for playing guitar.
    Feature, not bug?

User Info Menu

It's a bug with drummers. Unbalanced drummers have an uneven beat, especially if the stage isn't level.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dwparker
    I always use a strap, both sitting and standing, so it is always supported and in the same position on my body when I play.
    Me, too. I prefer padded suede straps because the suede helps keep it from sliding against my shirt, hence keeping it in one position.

User Info Menu

I hold a jazz guitar the same way I hold a classical guitar -- on my left knee with a guitar support that angles up the neck. The guitar is stable, the fret board is angled slightly toward me providing great visibility, and it allows for the same left hand position as I move up the neck without having to contort or strain my wrist even at the highest frets.

The only minor inconvenience is that an archtop body is bigger than a classical guitar, making it not as easy a fit between the legs. But the advantages more than offset this.

I'm not aware of any jazz guitarists who hold it like a classical. I think more guitarists, especially jazz guitarists, should give it a try. If it doesn't work for you, fine. But if you're not totally comfortable playing up and down the neck with the guitar on your right knee, it's worth a shot.

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor uses a footstool at least some of the time for a kind of 'classical' posture.

I also play fully strapped so the position is exactly the same seated or standing. Most gigs are played standing and a lot of practising is done seated, with the lower bout between my thighs.

Sometimes I bring in the footstool so the left leg takes some weight during longer practise sessions. Similar to Martin. It's very natural and comfortable for me, as it would be after decades doing it. And I started on cello as a kid, so having the instrument there has always seemed right. I whole-heatedly agree it should be tried.

The downside is I really suck if I have to put it on the right thigh due to no strap or stool. Like at a party or casual jam or something. OK for some simple strumming, but too different for anything exciting.

User Info Menu

I've been tying the strap (with a shoelace) around the head stock recently, ala Wes, and I really like it. It's in a better position for my wrist and I'm finding I fret much better now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I've been tying the strap (with a shoelace) around the head stock recently, ala Wes, and I really like it. It's in a better position for my wrist and I'm finding I fret much better now.
    Honest question here. I know folks sometimes attach a strap to the head stock, but can this put excessive strain on the instruments neck, head stock?

User Info Menu

Honest question here. I know folks sometimes attach a strap to the head stock, but can this put excessive strain on the instruments neck, head stock?
    I can't imagine it would. Someone can prove me wrong, of course.

User Info Menu

The neck/headstock already has >150 pounds of tension on it from the strings. Another 7 or 8 won't make much difference.

User Info Menu

I do this too. Minimizes variables. I have my guitar straps set up so the guitars all hang at about the same height, too.