The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Long ago sometime in the late 60's I decided that all leather straps (without any buckles or adjusters) kept my git from being scratched and was most comfortable. I also do not like strap locks.

Leather also helps correct a neck or body heavy problem.

But, the two issues I have had with them is they are VERY stiff and abrasive when new and the openings for the strap button eventually stretch making it possible to slip off the button.

Hand twisting and folding the strap for a couple of hours when new softens them up and an elliptical / diamond shaped button and or sewing the strap with catgut onto the button will keep them from coming off.

A problem with sewing them on is I need a strap for every git but the Perri's straps are inexpensive and the big box stores sometimes have a sale bin with leather straps.

It pains me to see a used git with a destroyed top from a strap bouncing on it in the case. So I guess I'm a bit overly protective of my gits but I feel it's worth it.

Are you folks ambivalent about straps or do you go through some length selecting them?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play every guitar I have strapped up. I consider the strap just as important as the right strings, the right cable, and the right amp(s). I prefer leather for guitars I own, but carry a couple of wide, soft cloth straps for trying guitars in stores or testing/setting up instruments for friends. I also use various strap-locks on the neck end and just use the strap as is on the bottom end. I like the guitar to be in a stable position and always keep one hand firmly on the instrument. Also, with the exception of a couple of close friends and my techs, nobody touches my guitars but me.

So, yeah, I'm very particular about straps. I've got a hand-tooled Gibson strap for my ES-175, a bunch of Levys, a Fender or three, and numerous others. Sometimes it takes awhile to get just the right strap for a given instrument, but it's worth the effort, at least to me.

User Info Menu

Every guitar I have has it's own strap (~30); I'm a bit particular I guess, so I want them to match and look like they belong on the guitar. Most all of them are all leather with no buckles or metal parts -except for the straploks.

I use Schaller-style straploks on most all of my guitars. Many of them will fit in the case with the strap attached (so no worries about metal/wood disagreements). I wipe down my guitars every time I play, so there's a microfiber rag that goes in the case too. The straps that can't stay on the guitar because of a tight case fit get wrapped up in the rag so wood and metal don't meet each other knocking around on the case.

I have nylon/foam straps for a couple of really heavy guitars because they really help with shoulder comfort, and I think I have one woven one, but most are leather.

I'm pretty particular about straps...

User Info Menu

I have two straps. One has Schaller locks on it, and I use it for almost all my guitars. I replace the strap buttons with Schallers, and switch the strap from guitar to guitar. It takes a couple of seconds to remove the strap, and not much more to put it on another guitar. While the strap is on, it can't come off unless you make a very conscious effort to remove it. When the guitars go in the case, the strap comes off. I do have one guitar with leather straplocks, and my experience is different. The leather was soft when I bought them, 3 sets or so many years ago, and I don't find that they stretch or loosen at all. Perhaps my model is different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    Every guitar I have has it's own strap (~30); I'm a bit particular I guess, so I want them to match and look like they belong on the guitar. Most all of them are all leather with no buckles or metal parts -except for the straploks.
    >>SNIP<< I'm pretty particular about straps...
    Actually, I didn't want admit it but I like the straps to match too. I guess it's a good thing I'm not like that with clothes though I bet my gf wishes I were. We look like the lady and the tramp.
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 01-21-2019 at 12:44 AM.

User Info Menu

As far as I'm concerned, a black strap matches anything. Basic black is stylish enough for me.

User Info Menu

every guitar i own has its own specific strap..based on pure aesthetics and/or function, i.e. weight of guitar, angle of buttons that determine how it sits, etc etc...buckles look cool and can be very handy..but yes care must be taken not to chip your finish...

as for keeping it on the guitar...i like strap rubbers..whether old grolsch beer gaskets or guitar company packaged versions...

cheers

User Info Menu

What's the most comfortable strap tho

I need one !

I prefer leather and have never used locks. Each of my guitars have their own strap, which I also like to have match.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Long ago sometime in the late 60's I decided that all leather straps (without any buckles or adjusters) kept my git from being scratched and was most comfortable. I also do not like strap locks.

Leather also helps correct a neck or body heavy problem.

But, the two issues I have had with them is they are VERY stiff and abrasive when new and the openings for the strap button eventually stretch making it possible to slip off the button.

Hand twisting and folding the strap for a couple of hours when new softens them up and an elliptical / diamond shaped button and or sewing the strap with catgut onto the button will keep them from coming off.

A problem with sewing them on is I need a strap for every git but the Perri's straps are inexpensive and the big box stores sometimes have a sale bin with leather straps.

It pains me to see a used git with a destroyed top from a strap bouncing on it in the case. So I guess I'm a bit overly protective of my gits but I feel it's worth it.

Are you folks ambivalent about straps or do you go through some length selecting them?
    I only use a mandolin straps... Why?

- nice soft leather
    - no buckles, rivets, etc.
    - perfect length
    - they hold to my shirt for stability, yet are easy to re-position
    - at just slightly less than 3/4" wide, they work for me because I run the strap out over the corner of my shoulder rather than close to my neck
    - I use them backwards from the way they are meant to be used on a mandolin; I put the end with the longitudinal slot on the upper bout of the guitar and put the reinforced end with the lateral slot on the butt end of the guitar

User Info Menu

I prefer suede, or leather with one side sueded. I use robber gaskets rather than strap locks. I've used both the Grolsch rings and the Fender guitar-specific ones. On my Godin, I had to change the strap buttons because their shape didn't quite work with the gasket, but the gaskets work fine with my Fender and my D'Angelico stock buttons. On my flattop, I have a fabric strap, but I generally play that sitting down without a strap, so haven't really explored options with it.

I also prefer straps with slides for length adjustment, rather than the two-piece-kind, but no one seems to make those anymore.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    every guitar i own has its own specific strap..based on pure aesthetics and/or function, i.e. weight of guitar, angle of buttons that determine how it sits, etc etc...buckles look cool and can be very handy..but yes care must be taken not to chip your finish...

as for keeping it on the guitar...i like strap rubbers..whether old grolsch beer gaskets or guitar company packaged versions...

cheers
    I use a 5 cent metal washer in the same way.

Straps, comfort, and security-crown-bolt-flat-washers-807230-64_1000-jpg

User Info Menu

I don't like straps that constantly remind me that they are wrapped around my body. I like the ones that I forget that they are there. I tried several. Including some expensive leather ones. I find leather ones to be either too stiff and heavy (and hot) or too delicate to last long. May be I haven't found the good ones. But what works the best for me are the soft woven cotton straps with no padding or lining. Quality ones are around 20-30 dollars. They are very light and gentle.

User Info Menu

Also I prefer straps with no metal parts that bang against the guitar (and add weight).

User Info Menu

I bought a MONO strap five years ago ,and it is the only one I use, light and comfortable and black

User Info Menu

I have these Ernie Ball straps on just about all my guitars,

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ro-strap-black

User Info Menu

[There's another recent "strap" post in the "Everything Else" section! I posted there, too.]

I've used the same Moody strap for about 15 years or so -- wonderfully soft and comfortable!