The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Anybody got any thoughts on how to perform it? I can already play reasonably fast but it isn't as effortless (or as blisteringly fast) as this guy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Two part class on Adam Rogers technical drills: Adam Rogers (Technical Studies) - Videos 1, 2 & PDF Bundle - My Music Masterclass

Preview clips:

User Info Menu

he's clearly using economy picking

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Two part class on Adam Rogers technical drills: Adam Rogers (Technical Studies) - Videos 1, 2 & PDF Bundle - My Music Masterclass

Preview clips:

Thanks for posting this!

@rpmcdermott posted some AR clips on the New Sco thread Dec 1 (thanks!) that show Adam using a variety of right-hand techniques such as sweep, hybrid picking, and other techniques.

I've always been very interested in Adam's overall sound and melodic ideas, particularly those in the vein of his playing on the Apparitions disc. Anyone know of materials that talk about how he approaches constructing a melody or improvising over changes? Or any transcriptions of his solos?

UPDATE: His site says charts are available for $5 each; I would not expect that to be a solo transcription but it would be worth $5 to find out :-) He also says he offers Skype lessons and in-person, presumably in NYC. I'm not ready to do that yet, but it's a tempting idea, alright!
    Last edited by starjasmine; 12-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thagirion

Anybody got any thoughts on how to perform it? I can already play reasonably fast but it isn't as effortless (or as blisteringly fast) as this guy.
    Not intending to state the obvious, but go slow, use a metronome, and work your way up to tempo.

His right-hand technique is clearly intended to control the position and angle of the pick, as well as to economize its movement and stabilize it. I haven't seen quite this hand position on other players but the *pick position* doesn't seem too far removed from what some might call George Benson technique. (I don't claim to know anything about GBs picking technique, or, for that matter, Adam's, it just looks to me that the position of Adam's pick borrows a bit from GB.)

User Info Menu

I picked up those Adam Rogers lessons on Mymasterclass.com a few weeks back. Good stuff.

I wouldn't think of Adam's picking as an actual true economy picker. The moves are there. But he also does a lot of alt picking. When he needs quick bursts across the string, particularly if there are single notes across the strings.

After watching and listening-I'd actually think he's kind of an alt picker that sweeps as necessary. In his case more than some. It's all very fluid and unconscious.

Really dig the tone he gets with the 335.

User Info Menu

Not my cup of tea but very impressive.

User Info Menu

I did check out AR's technique vids recently from My Music Masterclass. I haven't gone through all of the segments but so far he's not discussed pick angle and also says that he's using sweeping when appropriate and alternating when he's not sweeping, so that's not really any more info than you could glean from watching him play. Some other things he says to do are:

• Improvise in 8th notes on a particular scale without resting, and
    • Do the same thing as above except over a set of changes

The second drill is what Joe Pass suggested in his Guitar Style book and what Howard Roberts did an entire book on called Superchops. AR also has some Bach studies written out and performed.

I'm going to be completely honest here and say I'm not super impressed with these vids. To me his explanations are poorly worded, repetitive, and peppered with far too many "ums" and "sort ofs" that it's difficult to track the points he's trying to make.

User Info Menu

As many sweeps as he does I still would not describe him as an economy picker.
    He never discusses pick angle in any videos on mymasterclass like stated above.

User Info Menu

I see:
    1. anchoring on little finger,
    2. Connection of both hands (combining the picking rules with odd and even notes per string),
    3. Going down with wrist motion, going up with elbow motion,
    4. Relax.

These results in alternate picking and sweeping in both directions.

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikostep
    I see:
    1. anchoring on little finger,
    2. Connection of both hands (combining the picking rules with odd and even notes per string),
    3. Going down with wrist motion, going up with elbow motion,
    4. Relax.

These results in alternate picking and sweeping in both directions.

That would describe GB.
    The only thing GB and Adam have in common is they tilt the pick upwards. Nothing about GB's style really applies to Adam's. I'm well versed in the GB system so far. Although my technique is much different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DS71
    That would describe GB.
    The only thing GB and Adam have in common is they tilt the pick upwards. Nothing about GB's style really applies to Adam's. I'm well versed in the GB system so far. Although my technique is much different.
    It describes them both. I think the difference is in the left hand. He executed the lines differently in left hand. There were many 3 notes per string and arpeggios in both ways so that's why he plays sweeping in both ways (GB rarely do both ways).
    If you observe right hand he plays exactly as I described him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikostep
    It describes them both. I think the difference is in the left hand. He executed the lines differently in left hand. There were many 3 notes per string and arpeggios in both ways so that's why he plays sweeping in both ways (GB rarely do both ways).
    If you observe right hand he plays exactly as I described him.

I'd say the pick angle is obviously similar. But otherwise I'd say their RH technique is as different as their lines.

Adam's picking basically from his wrist and I'd think he'd say he's not putting a lot of thought into it. Any elbow movement is moving to different strings but mainly to support the wrist motions. His alternate picking is driven from the wrist.

User Info Menu

I'd say the pick angle is obviously similar. But otherwise I'd say their RH technique is as different as their lines.

Adam's picking basically from his wrist and I'd think he'd say he's not putting a lot of thought into it. Any elbow movement is moving to different strings but mainly to support the wrist motions. His alternate picking is driven from the wrist.
    Elbow motion is mostly used and better visible on up tempo. I've watched him playing up tempo songs with elbow motion when going up the strings. Sometimes he does it in these videos too.
    Even GB does not always use elbow motion, it depends on tempo.
    What is interesting is that Adam clearly demonstrates the most important thing and that is connection of hands. They can't work independently. So, the left hand lines and right hand picking must be thoroughly analyzed and adjusted to each other.

User Info Menu

He just posted a new video. You can see his picking hand very closely.

Adam Rogers - Messing around with a new groove

User Info Menu

Adam just posted another video on FB. Rockin!
    Adam Rogers - Playing my Les Paul into the Marshall...

His first five albums on Criss Cross are the gems...

User Info Menu

I picked up those Adam Rogers lessons on Mymasterclass.com a few weeks back. Good stuff.

I wouldn't think of Adam's picking as an actual true economy picker. The moves are there. But he also does a lot of alt picking. When he needs quick bursts across the string, particularly if there are single notes across the strings.

After watching and listening-I'd actually think he's kind of an alt picker that sweeps as necessary. In his case more than some. It's all very fluid and unconscious.

Really dig the tone he gets with the 335.
    adam is an economy picker. He pretty rigorously follows the rules of economy picking when changing strings. He doesn't go as far as gambale to re-finger everything. He discussed that as artist of the week on my modern jazz guitar group a while back. He also doesn't stretch his left hand so he's in a 4 fret span with everything he plays. Note that aren't available in that group, he shifts to rather than stretch to.

User Info Menu

Where have I been at? I've never seen this drills lesson before. I'm going to dig into it. Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timtheshredder
    Where have I been at? I've never seen this drills lesson before. I'm going to dig into it. Thanks for sharing!
    I didn't have any luck finding this, do you have a link? thanks!