Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Yes, yes, yes, I know it has been asked before. However, opinions change and new products arrive on the market. What’s your favorite pick?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

And to make it a little more easy to view, let’s vote online on a poll:

pollly | easy polling & brainstorming

User Info Menu

I don't know about the voting online poll thing, but I'm still using the standard Fender "tortoise shell" heavy gauge picks.

Have been for over 40 years now - talk about a creature of habit!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar

User Info Menu

Dunlap Jazztone 204 still does it for me.

User Info Menu

Treasure Tones - 18 Carat Gold - 1 Pick | Timber Tones

No !

It's a joke.

I mainly use wood or bone picks I do myself
    Make a jazz noise here

User Info Menu

My thumb!! its easy to find and came pre installed

User Info Menu

Black Ice 1.5mm for jazz

Fender Medium or heavy for rock/pop

User Info Menu

Dunlap jazztone 205 for jazz guitars and acoustic guitars

Eric Johnson jazz 3 for rock guitar playing.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Primetone Large Round Tip 3.0mm

Dunlop Primetone Large Round Tip 5.0mm

User Info Menu

Blue Chip Jazz 35 (Lg) for Guitar
    Blue Chip Jazz 35 for Mandolin
    measure with micrometer... mark with chalk... cut with axe

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have a pile of picks of various thicknesses, mostly Dunlops. I choose one each day, depending on my mood.

User Info Menu

What’s your favorite pick?-p_dl_p_0167_515p-jpg

Dunlop Primetone - this shape, but 1.5mm (which I couldn't find a pic of.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

D'Andrea Pro Plex small teardrop 1.5 mm. Sounds good on every guitar I've got, so it's the one I use most. On the occasion where I need a little more cut, I use the Jazz III Ultex. With my solid bodies I also like the red Jazz III but not with my archtops for some reason.

Odd thing though- I used to put the pick in my mouth when playing fingerstyle, but with the Pro Plec I almost immediate get a contact irritation of the inside of my lip and will have a sore for a day or two. Doesn't happen with Fender picks or any Dunlop picks I've ever tried. So now I hybrid pick or put the pick down if I want to play with my fingers.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

I use Dunlop 1.5mm picks exclusively. Nothing better.

User Info Menu

Currently, this one: Blue Chip IBJ55

But I prefer this one for rhythm playing: Got both for Christmas. Score!

User Info Menu

Still hooked on the D'Andrea Pro-Plecs, though I've moved from the little "house shaped" ones and now I use the standard size, but the rounded edge.

For acoustic rhythm, I like a 2.0mm Black Dunlop pick with an alligator on it. Not sure what they're called "gator grip," I assume), I bought a bag years ago and never really used them, and then I found a handful of them in a drawer a few months ago and started really liking them. Go figure.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I've used Jazz III, 204, 205, PrimteTone sculpted, etc, etc, like them all. Lately (last 6 months) I'm really liking Fender 358 H
    What’s your favorite pick?-fender-358-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5 View Post
    Dunlap Jazztone 204 still does it for me.

That's what I use too.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

A big button from an overcoat works for me.

User Info Menu

Fender Heavy cut to the size of a penny, unless I'm playing some funky rhythm stuff.. just switch to a medium then.

User Info Menu

Still sticking with my faithful Jazz III with home made added grip

What’s your favorite pick?-20190210_100012_resized-jpg
    ...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

User Info Menu

V-Pick Tradition Ultra Light for anything with overdrive or distortion, and with my Artist Award.
    Dunlop Jazz III for jazz on all other guitars.

User Info Menu

I like and use:
    Jim Dunlap Ultex Jazz 3's
    Jim Dunlap Jazz 3's - (Green, Purple, Black)
    Various D'Andrea 1.5mm Pro Plecs
    Various V-pics
    John Pearse - weirdly shaped pick that has all 3 sides different
    Clown Vomit picks (Catalinbread Pedal Swag)
    (As long as the pick isn't too thin or too large I can deal with them.)

User Info Menu

I've been a fan of the red Jazz III's for a long time. I also sometimes switch to one of the Dunlop purple stubbies now and then.

I've got the Dunlop Jazztone in my Amazon list next time I make an order, I've wanted to try a few of those for some time one.

Thumb sometimes too. I tend to not drop it on the floor and have to search for it.

Edit: Would anyone who knows care to comment on the size of the jazz III's vs the Jazztone 204/205's? They look like they would be similar in size....true?
    Last edited by Bahnzo; 03-08-2019 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I find the jazztones to be more rounded at the corners and they tend to shift a little between your fingers because of that, no distinct angle to help set in place. I don't find their tone all that pleasing for me, much prefer Noted.
    Ignorance is agony.

User Info Menu

This thread really made me pay attention to what I like in a pick. The D'Andrea Pro Plec material seems to clearly be my favorite.

I like a small pick- the 354 size or maybe it's the 358, whichever is smaller. Good balance of warm and cut. I also like the Jazz III shape but not the material. I have experimented with cutting the D'Andrea 651 to the size of the Jazz III and really like those, too. Darker than the 358 shape, so better to me for solo playing but not so good for ensemble playing. I've even cut down what used to be my favorite pick a decade to two back, the Dunlop 500 1.5mm Fender shape, to the Jazz III shape. I like those because the edge treatment provides excellent string release, but the tone is not as jazzy as the Pro Plec.

What I like about small picks is being able to feel the upper edge of the pick between my fingers. It make me feel I have more control over the pick. I play with a pretty loose hand and some of my picking action comes from the fingers instead of the wrist or elbow.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Jazz III. Only picks I like. I've used them for over 30 years.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazz III (for playing fast lines, and jazz fusion)

Dunlop 1mm Nylon: Amazon.com: Dunlop 44P100 1.0mm Nylon Standard Guitar Picks, 12-Pack: Musical Instruments for strumming chords big band style

D'Andrea ProPlec PRO PLEC – 354 SHAPE – D'Andrea USA for playing warm tone lead lines

User Info Menu

No one yet mentioned a thumb pick ...
    Once trained to use it, it becomes a very versatile musical object.
    Three fingers are able to pick treble strings and palm muting is carried out easily.
    An heretic tilt in the wrist although ...