The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 388

User Info Menu

Still hooked on the D'Andrea Pro-Plecs, though I've moved from the little "house shaped" ones and now I use the standard size, but the rounded edge.

For acoustic rhythm, I like a 2.0mm Black Dunlop pick with an alligator on it. Not sure what they're called "gator grip," I assume), I bought a bag years ago and never really used them, and then I found a handful of them in a drawer a few months ago and started really liking them. Go figure.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've used Jazz III, 204, 205, PrimteTone sculpted, etc, etc, like them all. Lately (last 6 months) I'm really liking Fender 358 H
    Jazz Guitar Pick-fender-358-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    Dunlap Jazztone 204 still does it for me.

That's what I use too.

User Info Menu

A big button from an overcoat works for me.

User Info Menu

Fender Heavy cut to the size of a penny, unless I'm playing some funky rhythm stuff.. just switch to a medium then.

User Info Menu

Still sticking with my faithful Jazz III with home made added grip

Jazz Guitar Pick-20190210_100012_resized-jpg

User Info Menu

V-Pick Tradition Ultra Light for anything with overdrive or distortion, and with my Artist Award.
    Dunlop Jazz III for jazz on all other guitars.

User Info Menu

I like and use:
    Jim Dunlap Ultex Jazz 3's
    Jim Dunlap Jazz 3's - (Green, Purple, Black)
    Various D'Andrea 1.5mm Pro Plecs
    Various V-pics
    John Pearse - weirdly shaped pick that has all 3 sides different
    Clown Vomit picks (Catalinbread Pedal Swag)
    (As long as the pick isn't too thin or too large I can deal with them.)

User Info Menu

I've been a fan of the red Jazz III's for a long time. I also sometimes switch to one of the Dunlop purple stubbies now and then.

I've got the Dunlop Jazztone in my Amazon list next time I make an order, I've wanted to try a few of those for some time one.

Thumb sometimes too. I tend to not drop it on the floor and have to search for it.

Edit: Would anyone who knows care to comment on the size of the jazz III's vs the Jazztone 204/205's? They look like they would be similar in size....true?
    Last edited by Bahnzo; 03-08-2019 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I find the jazztones to be more rounded at the corners and they tend to shift a little between your fingers because of that, no distinct angle to help set in place. I don't find their tone all that pleasing for me, much prefer Noted.

User Info Menu

This thread really made me pay attention to what I like in a pick. The D'Andrea Pro Plec material seems to clearly be my favorite.

I like a small pick- the 354 size or maybe it's the 358, whichever is smaller. Good balance of warm and cut. I also like the Jazz III shape but not the material. I have experimented with cutting the D'Andrea 651 to the size of the Jazz III and really like those, too. Darker than the 358 shape, so better to me for solo playing but not so good for ensemble playing. I've even cut down what used to be my favorite pick a decade to two back, the Dunlop 500 1.5mm Fender shape, to the Jazz III shape. I like those because the edge treatment provides excellent string release, but the tone is not as jazzy as the Pro Plec.

What I like about small picks is being able to feel the upper edge of the pick between my fingers. It make me feel I have more control over the pick. I play with a pretty loose hand and some of my picking action comes from the fingers instead of the wrist or elbow.

User Info Menu

Jazz III. Only picks I like. I've used them for over 30 years.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazz III (for playing fast lines, and jazz fusion)

Dunlop 1mm Nylon: Amazon.com: Dunlop 44P100 1.0mm Nylon Standard Guitar Picks, 12-Pack: Musical Instruments for strumming chords big band style

D'Andrea ProPlec PRO PLEC – 354 SHAPE – D'Andrea USA for playing warm tone lead lines

User Info Menu

No one yet mentioned a thumb pick ...
    Once trained to use it, it becomes a very versatile musical object.
    Three fingers are able to pick treble strings and palm muting is carried out easily.
    An heretic tilt in the wrist although ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Planet Waves Black Ice 1.5 mm

Tried lots of them, but only this one sounds so good, to let me stay by it forever. But my local music shop dealer said that this one will be discontinued, so I ordered 200 pieces of them, he said that takes a few months to complete my order, but after it I gonna have enough picks for my entire life...
    I love these picks. If you would ever want to sell a couple once you receive your stash, please let me know.

User Info Menu

Jazz Guitar Pick-3daea2d7-02b2-44fe-ad30-7e5197b4d9b6-jpeg

User Info Menu

Fender 358 medium. Forever. By the gross. (they're dispensable. musta used up a couple thousand)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Planet Waves Black Ice 1.5 mm
    I bought a packet of the 1.0 mm to see what I thought. I didn't stick with them at the time. However, recently I started using a Jazz III again, but this time holiding it by the tip and picking with a shoulder. That worked fine except the Jazz III have raised (embossed) areas on both sides and I wanted a uniformly smooth surface so nothing would catch on the strings. Going over this thread, I recalled I had some Black Ice picks and tried them. Yay! Very smooth, of course, so that solves that problem. Might try the 1.5 mm later but for now, the 1.0 seem just fine.

User Info Menu

Truth is I hardly use a pick but when I do, it's a triangle!
    Attached Images Attached Images Jazz Guitar Pick-img_1654-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand
    Truth is I hardly use a pick but when I do, it's a triangle!
    Hey! Those are my faves. They do take a little time playing to get a nice edge sculpted, but once u do they r tone city.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    These, in heavy.
    Attachment 59265

Originally I used only the "Gibson Star" pick (no longer made), but Fender and D'Andrea make the same shape. It's the shape that works best for me. For rhythm I use the round end, point for lead. I drill two holes in them so they never spin in my fingers.
    I just found an old Gibson pick I modified for playing classical mandolin- works very well for jazzguitar - very similar to yours except I put 2 drops of SuperGlue on both sides. Jazz Guitar Pick-4b28fa68-e16b-4249-92d5-84a7edc10558-jpg

User Info Menu

When I'm not using my thumb and fingers I use a D'Andrea 355 Heavy. It's the big pointy triangle pick.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Tortex 0,73 mm for acoustic guitar, Wegen GP250 for jazzguitar and nylonstring-guitar

User Info Menu

BC and recently just picked up some Primetone jazz III 1.4. These are nice, havent used my BC in a couple weeks and beats my regular Jazz IIIs

User Info Menu

After trying every shape known to man, I've come full circle to the trusty 351 shape, in Extra Heavy, using the "shoulders" - the fat sides - rather than the point. These Pyramids have a very smooth finish all the way around the edge and the best tone to my ear, better than the current Fender/D'Andrea offerings.

For archtop acoustic, I've experimented with quite a number of options, but have currently settled on Wegen 1.5mm and 2mm mandolin picks. They have a nice warmth and not much "click" on the attack. They also have a nice grippy texture - no slipping around.

Jazz Guitar Pick-img_0398-jpg

Here are some of the archtop pick contenders - you can see I don't like pointy picks. These - and a few others - get pulled out and tried every now and then for particular uses.

Jazz Guitar Pick-img_0401-jpg