The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 388

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Golden Gate MP-12. It's a large, heavy mandolin pick.

I think it produces a softer sound than my prior pick, the Dunlop 206.
    I'm going to try those. I was looking for large picks and have heard a few good things about these. Curiously, they're mainly used by mandolin players, right? I would have thought they would want small, thin picks, but hey, what the heck do I know about playing mandolin? Nothing!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This month I’m really into the Dunlop Flows

User Info Menu

I also picked up a pro plec recently. One of these very small tear drop shaped ones (358?). I love it. It's very fast and smooth. But it sounds a bit muffled. I don't mind it though I wonder if it's the shape and size that makes me like it so much. I'll try to file one of my jazz tone picks to that shape at some point and see if it'll feel the same but without the muffling.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 10-06-2018 at 06:48 AM.

User Info Menu

When I play with a pick it is a Dunlop Prime Tone 3.00 mm. I was a deep purple small stubby 3.0 mm for years but found the Prime Tone easier to grip and warmer.

PRIMETONE(R) GUITAR PICK

User Info Menu

I use the Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm.

User Info Menu

For cheaper picks, these are pretty good, almost as good as the Blue Chip, and much cheaper. The black Ultex makes a good pick, and the shape/thickness help it play very easily. I've been using one for the past few days, and now I recall why I liked them earlier.
    JOHN PETRUCCI SIGNATURE JAZZ III GUITAR PICK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I never tried rubber. I have a number of wooden picks, of various species, some of which I made and some of which I bought. I'm not crazy about wood, but I do like it better than bone and horn, or stone. But different people have different preferences.
    I used to cut up old credit cards to use for picks.

User Info Menu

I still have a few picks lying around that I made from CDs. I'd stack 8 or 10 together, clamp them up, and saw out the shape. Cleanup and polishing didn't take very long. They give a mellow, soft tone.

User Info Menu

I'll have to try that, I have lots of old CDs, thanks for the tip!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Fender 351 medium
    Second that. I buy by the gross, toss it out after about 2 hours big band rhythm, grab another and go.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Dunlop Primetone - I'm liking the 1.0, 1.3, or 2 depending Guitar and/or musical style. Good step up from Fender-level picks, but not off the charts pricey like BC.

User Info Menu

Just bought a pick from Eric Lopez in California, emlpicks.com

Very impressed, super comfortable to hold, nice tone too. Might be my new go to on acoustic.

User Info Menu

Planet Waves Black Ice 1.5 mm

Tried lots of them, but only this one sounds so good, to let me stay by it forever. But my local music shop dealer said that this one will be discontinued, so I ordered 200 pieces of them, he said that takes a few months to complete my order, but after it I gonna have enough picks for my entire life...

User Info Menu

Dunlap Jazztone 204 still does it for me.

User Info Menu

Black Ice 1.5mm for jazz

Fender Medium or heavy for rock/pop

User Info Menu

Dunlap jazztone 205 for jazz guitars and acoustic guitars

Eric Johnson jazz 3 for rock guitar playing.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Primetone Large Round Tip 3.0mm

Dunlop Primetone Large Round Tip 5.0mm

User Info Menu

Blue Chip Jazz 35 (Lg) for Guitar
    Blue Chip Jazz 35 for Mandolin

User Info Menu

I have a pile of picks of various thicknesses, mostly Dunlops. I choose one each day, depending on my mood.

User Info Menu

Jazz Guitar Pick-p_dl_p_0167_515p-jpg

Dunlop Primetone - this shape, but 1.5mm (which I couldn't find a pic of.)

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazz III Max-grip carbon fiber.

User Info Menu

D'Andrea Pro Plex small teardrop 1.5 mm. Sounds good on every guitar I've got, so it's the one I use most. On the occasion where I need a little more cut, I use the Jazz III Ultex. With my solid bodies I also like the red Jazz III but not with my archtops for some reason.

Odd thing though- I used to put the pick in my mouth when playing fingerstyle, but with the Pro Plec I almost immediate get a contact irritation of the inside of my lip and will have a sore for a day or two. Doesn't happen with Fender picks or any Dunlop picks I've ever tried. So now I hybrid pick or put the pick down if I want to play with my fingers.

User Info Menu

Gibson GG50 (aka teardrop, "Star") heavy [long out of production],
    and similar, currently available Jim Dunlop 485R03HV and Osiamo "Pickboy" PB322P100.

Jim Dunlop Jazztone 207 (477P207)

Jim Dunlop Tortex teardrops (413R I think), same shape (more or less) as the GG50, in various thicknesses

User Info Menu

I can do almost everything with the Fender Heavy Premium, which I really love.(and are pretty)
    For jazz and gypsy I play with the snobby Blue Chip TD 60,
    but I could do that with the Dunlop Primetone 1.3 as well, which is way more...

User Info Menu

For what it's worth and that's very little, I'd always used a fender heavy for the most part but for whatever reason (stupidity) I did buy the high-fashion, high-dollar boutique Blue Chip once and all I can say is once was twice too much to waste. When I reach for a pick/plectrum it's a fender heavy but mostly a 1.5mm v-pick.