The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

This question is really about the right hand. I've always modeled my fingerstyle after the classical technique. I use free stroke I-M for single note runs when I don't use a pick. It's perfect for nylon string guitar. But on heavy gauge steel strings, I find it too hard to get any volume. Rest strokes give more volume but transition from arpeggio technique and rest stroke is awkward.
    Today I tried to do scale runs with thumb and index (thump and middle as well). Even though I'd never done this before I could get a lot more conviction and articulation in the sound this way. I guess it wasn't hard to adjust because thumb and index runs are kinesthetically very similar to alternate picking.
    What are your thoughts about fingerstyle runs on steel strings. Do you use classical or another technique? Do you rely on the amp for the volume?
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-21-2018 at 09:33 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I revised the post and made the main point a bit clearer. Hopefully it'll get more attention this time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    This question is really about the right hand. I've always modeled my fingerstyle after the classical technique. I use free stroke I-M for single note runs when I don't use a pick. It's perfect for nylon string guitar. But on heavy gauge steel strings, I find it too hard to get any volume. Rest strokes give more volume but transition from arpeggio technique and rest stroke is awkward.
    Today I tried to do scale runs with thumb and index (thump and middle as well). Even though I'd never done this before I could get a lot more conviction and articulation in the sound this way. I guess it wasn't hard to adjust because thumb and index runs are kinesthetically very similar to alternate picking.
    What are your thoughts about fingerstyle runs on steel strings. Do you use classical or another technique? Do you rely on the amp for the volume?

I like TI as well, though I don’t actually use it, but it feels good. If your sound is consistent, go for it.

OT, my main gripe with me classical training was the lack of training for the pinky. I see what yamashita can do with his, then I look at mine just hanging there sad and forgotten about. I’m trying to remedy it.

User Info Menu

I traded playing nice and loud with pick to playing much softer but faster and with way more options with fingers. Hm, recently I transcribed a pop sax solo and found it's 96% doable with fingers.. impossible with pick(for my skills at least). So, so there's also that.
    It wouldn't work on big big stage at all (the eleven is missing) but whatever, it's just a hobby for me

User Info Menu

Lorne Lofsky uses thumbpick and index finger for single note runs. Lenny Breau used this technique as well as other finger combinations for his. I favor t/i or t/a over i/m although without their proficiency or speed.

User Info Menu

I find I do an organic mix of pi in the lower registers and im for most of my single line playing. Only when I am deliberately running scales do I find I stick with im. The truth is that the thumb is slower for me, but moving my hand way up on the soundboard to play im lines on the 6th or 5th is just impractical.

I should add that I've developed the annoying habit of starting most lines with a pmi triplet before continuing with im lines. I am trying to break that habit so my lines aren't so repetitive and predictable --but old habits die hard.

Speed with I-M to me requires some nail action, soft strings and responsive, light soundboard (aka nylon sting guitar). Perhaps I haven't pursued this hard enough but on a steal string guitar, speed with I-M (no nails) comes at the expense of articulation and tone in my case. By speed I don't mean anything crazy. Let's say 120 bpm 16th notes.
    Is, for example, a two octave scale run, ascend and descend on a 12 gauge archtop using I-M at that speed with a convincing articulation and tone an attainable goal? I'm curious, though, I don't doubt there are players here who can do that.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-22-2018 at 08:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass is amazing for doing these really fast bop runs in his playing, and his RH positioning looks very much straight out of Carcassi, very standard classical looking. Doesn't prop on the pinky, etc. But it's hard to distinguish between his pick paying and finger playing much of the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I find I do an organic mix of pi in the lower registers and im for most of my single line playing. Only when I am deliberately running scales do I find I stick with im. .
    My classical guitar teacher could play fastest with PI, he said if a phrase was too fast he would "cheat" by playing it PI instead of standard IM. He was a fantastic player of course

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe Pass is amazing for doing these really fast bop runs in his playing, and his RH positioning looks very much straight out of Carcassi, very standard classical looking. Doesn't prop on the pinky, etc. But it's hard to distinguish between his pick paying and finger playing much of the time.
    That's true. Although I don't like his tone in some recordings, but that probably has more to do with other elements of the recording set up than his technique.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    My classical guitar teacher could play fastest with PI, he said if a phrase was too fast he would "cheat" by playing it PI instead of standard IM. He was a fantastic player of course
    That's probably is the best approach. Do both but use I-M as the default as it's not very natural to always have to reach treble strings with the thumb.

User Info Menu

Virtuoso Guitarist Vol 1. New Approach to Fast Scales.
    by Matt Palmer

Nice book takes 3 note per string scales and shows a method for using a AMI pattern to play them fast.
    This is the basic pattern used for tremolo so can be really fast if you practice -(slow and with metronome ... click click is your friend)

Big improvement is possible, I am already adapting to the method as it fuses the jazz style left hand 3 note per string scale patterns I have played for years with classical guitar fingering on right hand. BTW it works on my steel string acoustic guitar too.

There are some preview things on youtube - the book is where it's at though.

User Info Menu

I don't really do what you'd call fingerstyle, but play without a pick very often, and it's mostly about the thumb for single note lines.

User Info Menu

I've been pretty much all thumb for the last decade, getting the other fingers involved for comping and wider intervallic patterns. Letting the amp do the work is a valid approach. John Abercrombie hipped me to the strategy of using a clean boost pedal with the output cranked and starting the gig with a volume pedal at around 75% up, so you can get louder without having to dig in too much and overplay the strings. Have you checked out Kevin Eubanks right hand approach? I think he has a more consistent p-i approach to John's mostly p with occasional i thrown in...

PK

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    Have you checked out Kevin Eubanks right hand approach?
    I'll check his style out thanks. Looks like he uses P-M. I'm also interested in people who use P-I or P-M and into solo guitar arrangements. I wonder how they approach polyphony with this style.

User Info Menu

I gave up the pick for good a few years ago. It was never comfortable for me. Sounds like my right hand style is similar to the OP. Thumb and index for single note lines. Other fingers get involved when they need to.
    I try to avoid thinking about my right hand...it almost always leads to overthinking it. If you're right-handed, that RH is pretty good at things. It's gotten you through a lot of stuff in life. It will keep up surprisingly well if you just leave it alone until there's a specific problem.
    When I started taking lessons, I was worried my teacher would try to change my RH technique or get me to use a pick. He actually likes the way I do things. He says the tone is great. And when I do run into a specific issue where my right hand can't manage something, I figure out a way to solve the issue. Then that becomes part of the technique.

Can someone give me a good resource for PI or PM scale runs? I'd like to try it out but my attempts so far feel very awkward. I'm assuming it's not like the thumb-under technique that was used on lute which Rob McKillop introduced me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    Can someone give me a good resource for PI or PM scale runs? I'd like to try it out but my attempts so far feel very awkward. I'm assuming it's not like the thumb-under technique that was used on lute which Rob McKillop introduced me too.
    Well, what I do is P on downbeats and I( or M) on upbeats. You can use any resource for scale practice and apply this technique. It's a more forgiving technique I think than I-M, so I doubt there are as much material/discussion on the mechanics of release on follow through and such for this technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    Having had a few Lute lessons, it is not that different. IMHO a lot of classical players use pi for fast runs. Classical technique isn‘t set in stone, either.

On a different note, again inspired by Rob, I‘ve used the pick a lot on my Classical.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

m being the longest finger, p-m is a good scale combination. the issue has more to do with damping the ringing notes, getting speed and tone just takes a few weeks of metronome practice, but figuring out how to damp the other strings is a special study.

User Info Menu

Switching over to fingerstyle a couple of years ago, I started taking classical and some flamenco lessons and while I'm no speed demon, I have improved greatly. I spent some time watching the technique video done by Slyvain Courtney. While I attempted to emulate the PIM approach, I also use my ring finger (A) quite a bit as well. It has taken me a while to get to the point where I'm not always thinking about finger placement/usage.

User Info Menu

I had a classical guitar teacher tell me you should be able to get the same tone with a free stroke as you get with a rest stroke.

Cool, then I'll just do free strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Switching over to fingerstyle a couple of years ago, I started taking classical and some flamenco lessons and while I'm no speed demon, I have improved greatly. I spent some time watching the technique video done by Slyvain Courtney. While I attempted to emulate the PIM approach, I also use my ring finger (A) quite a bit as well. It has taken me a while to get to the point where I'm not always thinking about finger placement/usage.

Cool technique. But unfortunately it involves using nails. I'm certainly not a big fan of having and maintaining long nails. I think, though, it's very difficult to have speed without nails using I-M. That's the appeal of P-I for me. I think speed is more feasible with P-I without nails.

User Info Menu

One has to go with what works for one's self but as far as myself I can't play fast enough with just thumb and index. I also can't play well without some nail. Mind you I don't have nails anywhere near the length of Sylvain's more like the length of Joe Pass' nails (see pic below). If my nails get any longer than Joe's, my tone suffers i.e. too thin, tinny. Unfortunately I have weak nails so at one time or another I'm left with no nail at all at least on one finger.

Last edited by rob taft; 09-28-2018 at 05:03 PM.

User Info Menu

here is a short vid that shows my approach.

Tim