The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

I was looking at this last night and noticed something that I had noticed before but had no one to ask about it. It's on (IIRC) pg 36. If that's not the right page, the one I mean is the one introducing studies on the diminished chord.

Fililberto mentions that one should do these "seven studies" daily. But aside from One, Two, Three, and Four, none of the studies are numbered, and there are many more than 7 of them. (Closer to 30.) I wonder if anyone knows where the number "seven" there comes from, or what it refers to. (Is it some sub-group of the complete group of studies?)

And, while we're at it, is there a difference between an exercise and a study? Sometimes one term is used, sometimes the other. Not sure there's any great difference between the two. (IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS BOOK.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like theBooks by Jody Fisher. I believe they are called "Complete Jazz Guitar Method". They are divided into 3 levels and they are also sold as a unit.

I also think that there is great value in learning actual songs and transcribed solos. Thus, I recommend a series published by Mel Bay and Warner Brothers called "Jazz Guitar Standards". These books contain Jazz Songs. Each song has a lead sheet, a chord melody solo, a comping verse and a single line improvisation.

Along those same lines the Frank Vignola Series that he did for Mel Bay is called "Play along Jazz Standard Chord Progressions". It does not contain the lead sheets, chord melodies or comping etudes but it does have great solos. I am planning on beginning a study group based on this series in the near future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Thus, I recommend a series published by Mel Bay and Warner Brothers called "Jazz Guitar Standards". These books contain Jazz Songs. Each song has a lead sheet, a chord melody solo, a comping verse and a single line improvisation.

ditto on those!

User Info Menu

Along those same lines the Frank Vignola Series that he did for Mel Bay is called "Play along Jazz Standard Chord Progressions". It does not contain the lead sheets, chord melodies or comping etudes but it does have great solos. I am planning on beginning a study group based on this series in the near future.

I think Frank's two "Jazz Solos" volumes (1 and 2) are the solos to those standards.

Mel Bay Jazz Solos Volume 1: Improvised Solos over Standard Progressions: Frank Vignola: 9780786650026: Amazon.com: Books

Mel Bay presents Jazz Solos Volume 2: Improvised Solos over Standard Progressions: Frank Vignola: 9780786650033: Amazon.com: Books

User Info Menu

Yes. That is the one (two). I think they have been repackaged and renamed a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes. That is the one (two). I think they have been repackaged and renamed a couple of times.
    Maybe, but there is a version WITHOUT the solos, with just the comping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Maybe, but there is a version WITHOUT the solos, with just the comping.
    If there is I would love to see/buy a copy.

I think that it is important to work on all the facets of your playing, not just the solo.

User Info Menu

If there is I would love to see/buy a copy.

I think that it is important to work on all the facets of your playing, not just the solo.

True dat!

(I have to remind myself sometimes to just "comp" through the changes instead of just working on improvisation...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Mark, the Filberto plan of doing a week on a study and adding to it is the very best way to really build a technique, that's the way the classical players work. Think about this: if you had done that, you'd have been finished long ago and would have a better technique, most likely. The fact is, we are never finished, our brains can learn until we are very old, and taking a week at a time to really get the moves programmed into your brain really works well.
    I replied to this good post before but want to add something else.
    One advantage of focusing on exercises like this is that there is nothting else to think about while playing except how you are playing them.

In my case---and I was a complete moron about this for half a century---the hardest lessson I've had to learn is that the mistakes I make are signals / feedback I need to learn from. (I don't mean mistakes due to interruptions, distractions, fatigue, boredom, but due to just playing it wrong and the reason one keeps screwing up a simple exercise is that SOMETHING is amiss in one's technique.) It took me decades to learn I sometimes rotate my hand away from the guitar which puts my pick at a different distance from the strings (among other things.) If (IF IF IF IF IF!) I had said to my young self, "Okay, play this ten times right, slow as you have to, and pay attention to what you're doing," I would have caught on to that mistake much sooner, and it might have been easier to correct.

But I was impatient and developed some bad habits. If I had it to do over, I would have done it right! ;o)

User Info Menu

I’m with Steven Herron. A Modern Method for Guitar by William Leavitt is THE book for taking your playing to an advanced level.

User Info Menu

The book that probably did the most for my technique was Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker, Jimmy Casale, Gary Campbell, and Jerry Greene. It's not a guitar book, but it clearly explains how to take the raw materials of basic jazz study and permutate them in various ways to gain more tools and a better understanding of how to improvise. Since I started working through that book when I was 18 I forget how much I absorbed from it, but am always reminded when I give a lesson to an otherwise talented and skilled student who has never practiced something so simple as a scale in 4ths or how to create patterns from a diminished scale.

User Info Menu

My 3 favorites:

Pumping Nylon, by Scott Tennant. Paul Bollenback recommended this book to me as a way of really getting left hand technique together. It's the *only* book I've seen that emphasizes preparation in the left and right hands, which, I'm now realizing is very common on other instruments. I now study classical bass with a very good player, and *everyone* works on preparation exercises in the left hand as well as with the bow.

Sheets Of Sound by Jack Zucker. Always great for new ideas and techniques. The sections on pentatonics are just great.

Barry Galbraith's transcriptions of the Bach two part inventions. Whenever my technique needs a tune up, I practice these with a looping pedal. These expose all sorts of weaknesses in my playing.

I haven't worked with it much yet, but Miles Okazaki's "Fundamentals of Guitar" would probably make my list in the future.

User Info Menu

Many of these recommendations aren't really "intermediate" but trend towards advanced.

I'd recommend "The Johnny Smith Approach to the Guitar," which is actually in two volumes but I'll count it as one. He was one of the most technically proficient and refined guitarists ever; his book provides an excellent foundation for moving on to advanced techniques. Indeed, one could do worse than Leavitt -> Smith -> Goodrick as a sequence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    True dat!

(I have to remind myself sometimes to just "comp" through the changes instead of just working on improvisation...
    Comping is improvisation, too.

User Info Menu

If it concerns just physical techniques... fingering, postures, efficiency of it etc.
    I think I do not know such a book.

Everything about that I learnt from teachers or figured out myself (usually thanks to direction I had from teachers).

There are classical methods that explore technique but I do not think it is possible to learn it from the book.
    There are collection of studies to excercise specific techniques but again I am not sure they will work without preliminary work with a teacher.

User Info Menu

Surprised nobody has mentioned "Sheets of Sound for Guitar" by our own Jack Zucker.
    jackzucker's Books and Publications Spotlight

User Info Menu

I don’t do technique books. videos much better if you want to see it done.

Also I don’t use etudes. I just play music.

User Info Menu

I finished Patterns For Jazz back in October, and am working my way through Connecting Chords With Linear Harmony(1/3 the way in).

When I get a good book(many, many that were not) I try to work cover to cover.

Trying to delegate 2019 to nothing but Tunes and Transcribing(and continuing with the drumming). No books.

User Info Menu

Here is another that looks promising: Complete Book of Guitar Technique, by Sal Salvador.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guit.../dp/156222557X

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    Here is another that looks promising: Complete Book of Guitar Technique, by Sal Salvador.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guit.../dp/156222557X

Sal Salvador was a great player and teacher. One of his students was Elliott Randall, perhaps best known for his killer guitar playing on Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DS71
    I finished Patterns For Jazz back in October, and am working my way through Connecting Chords With Linear Harmony(1/3 the way in).

When I get a good book(many, many that were not) I try to work cover to cover.

Trying to delegate 2019 to nothing but Tunes and Transcribing(and continuing with the drumming). No books.
    I honestly think there’s not enough time to work on anything else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I honestly think there’s not enough time to work on anything else.
    I always feel like there's a blindspot to work through, for me. So I try to find something(book/video) and dive in head first.

But now I just want to buckle down and, like I said, focus on the 2. Tunes and transcribing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DS71
    I always feel like there's a blindspot to work through, for me. So I try to find something(book/video) and dive in head first.

But now I just want to buckle down and, like I said, focus on the 2. Tunes and transcribing.
    The tunes have a way of telling you what to work on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    My 3 favorites:I haven't worked with it much yet, but Miles Okazaki's "Fundamentals of Guitar" would probably make my list in the future.
    I remember Miles doing some video promo for this when it came out, and from what I've seen online it's some pretty daunting stuff to work on. How much have you investigated it, Paul?