Posts 276 to 300 of 388

User Info Menu

Hi,

They are really good !

Jazz Guitar Pick-198-0351-900-large-jpg

Fender 351 medium or heavy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mine's green. I love it. It loves me. It used to be a Dunlop, now it's just green.

Jazz Guitar Pick-dscn0003a-jpg

User Info Menu

Big Stubby 3.0 for me.

Jazz Guitar Pick-stubby_1-5-jpg

User Info Menu

Clayton rounded triangle 1.26 and 1.52 mm. It has that equal weight distribution. May take a little while playing on to get it down to a nice edge, but the articulation is great imo.

User Info Menu

My most favoritest flat pick is the medium "Dill Pick-L"

User Info Menu

Dunlop Ultex Standard picks .73 to 1.0, depending on which guitar and strings I’m using.

I often use one of the rounded corners to get some flesh of my thumb onto the picking—especially when hybrid picking (plectrum & fingers).

User Info Menu

For straight jazz: D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 Standard 351 - beautiful round tone that eliminates harshness even when using a crappy amp (e.g. at a jam).

For Gypsy swing: John Pearse Medium Gauge Fast Turtle Pick made of... milk caisen protein. It is suppose to mimic the sound of tortoise but I haven't heard a tortoise pick.

John Pearse Medium Gauge Fast Turtle Pick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Dunlop Ultex Standard picks .73 to 1.0, depending on which guitar and strings I’m using.

I often use one of the rounded corners to get some flesh of my thumb onto the picking—especially when hybrid picking (plectrum & fingers).

I like the 1.14 and also use rounded corner on acoustic guitar, electric, guitar and mandolin. A great pick that wears well and has a good grip. And I like the tone it produces. I've had and lost my share of Blue Chips.

User Info Menu

Big Stubby 3.0 for me.

A long time ago I send away for an agate pick, when they first came out. Not useful for comping and make a *click* sound unless you held it just so, but it grew on me. It was beautiful, too, and even when I didn't use it, I carried it around like a good luck charm. Of course, I lost it and didn't realize it for months, because I thought it was in another pair of jeans or in a pile of picks. Indestructible, so it must be somewhere even today. I wonder...

User Info Menu

1.50 mm gator grip.. they feel too soft to 'work' but they do ...great for recording cause:

Very low pick noise.. warm tone but articulate when picked medium to hard.

Picked softly ( very shallow depth ) can be almost or legato even picking every note.

They are typical teardrop shape and size developed in ..what 1940s or 1950s (?) and are slightly too short like most picks ...

Nothing exotic- just Dunlop Gator Grip...

Sometimes 2.0 mm sometimes 1.5 -

Must be an angle thing that causes low noise for me..also the picks feel kind of soft- it is odd that they are articulate ..

I also like the Gator Grip 2.0mm but these picks take a bit of time to 'break in '.

Planet Waves makes some nice picks called Duragrip [ 1.2mm and 1.5mm] which are Delrin and have a super grip texture- and sound good...
    But a lot depends on your hands obviously

400 or 600 grit sandpaper is made for smoothing pick edges when they get worn . .

......Later it was discovered that the sandpaper could also be used in wood finishing..
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 12-14-2018 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

I found the "gator " picks to have a rough surface and hence a rather scratchy sound.

User Info Menu

I love the Blue Chip material. Sounds glorious on acoustic guitar. There's nothing as smooth, and it stays smooth for so long. However, none of their shapes really suits me so I've settled on Wegen Bluegrass 1.4mm for now.

Besides...add shipping, tax and customs fee to that bluechip, and a single one costs me $78

User Info Menu

$78. for a pick- holy %#*@÷×>× !

But- IF it sounds better and helps you play what you hear...I get it.

I hope they at least last a few months.

If someone really wanted to they could probably engineer some graded hardness/stiffness and 'glide' characteristics into some kind of Carbon Fiber/Graphite picks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    $78. for a pick- holy %#*@÷×>× !

But- IF it sounds better and helps you play what you hear...I get it.

I hope they at least last a few months.

If someone really wanted to they could probably engineer some graded hardness/stiffness and 'glide' characteristics into some kind of Carbon Fiber/Graphite picks.
    That bluechip material is very dense and strong, but at the same time "soft". I had to cut the ones I tried to get them into a more suitable shape, and it was kinda like cutting caramel. I've had nothing that lasts as long as them.

But, if I polish those Wegen's often enough they're not too far off, and I can get a load of them for 78 bucks

User Info Menu

Blue Chip picks will last for years. I've never tried to cut them, but mine show no wear after a couple of years.

User Info Menu

Have always used these:

User Info Menu

Fender 351 heavy or extra heavy when I can get them. I also use the pick on the side. That is i use the rounded end! not the pointy end.

User Info Menu

These, in heavy.
    Jazz Guitar Pick-20190118_182614_resized-jpg
    I have a rather idiosyncratic and dynamic rhythm style and can't really use anything else and play as well.

Originally I used only the "Gibson Star" pick (no longer made), but Fender and D'Andrea make the same shape. It's the shape that works best for me. For rhythm I use the round end, point for lead. I drill two holes in them so they never spin in my fingers.

User Info Menu

Not my favorite, but an old friend of mine who collects arcane musical stuff gifted me with two very old, actual tortoise shell picks. I don't use them all that much, because they're more like collectable antiques, but they have a very different sound to anything else I've ever used. They are both quite heavy; one is maybe 1mm and the other probably 1.5mm and definitely brighter and crisper sounding than a comparable modern synthetic pick. If you rattle them around in your hand, they sound almost like glass.

User Info Menu

I shape the edges of my picks using extra fine wet-dry sand paper and buffing compound. It's very easy, takes only a few minutes to get smooth, glidy edge. Initial rough shaping is done with a file and rough sand paper.
    I'm looking to get a block of Vespel sp1 (material blue-chips are made out of) and cut my own picks. They are hard to find in small chunks though. I like one blue chip I tried but I want to experiment with different sizes.
    Does anyone have experience with Vespel's?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I shape the edges of my picks using extra fine wet-dry sand paper and buffing compound.
    I love the 3M polishing papers for this (and for fret polishing etc.). Flexible as cloth, and can be used wet or dry.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Primetone Sculpted 1.5

User Info Menu

I use Dunlop 1.5mm picks exclusively. Nothing better.

User Info Menu

Currently, this one: Blue Chip IBJ55

But I prefer this one for rhythm playing: Got both for Christmas. Score!