The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I've been trying to find some examples of this, and I am aware to an extent why I'm having difficulty finding any at all. That said...

I'm trying to find examples of straight jazz guitar, but played with rock guitar techniques, i.e. bends with sustain, long slides.

Not thinking of jazz fusion Allan Holdsworth, or stuff like Mike Stern, John Scofield type stuff.

This is really the only thing I could find...

Considering all these years, somebody must have come up with something.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Carlton is a master..its his tone (the strat helps of course) that gives it the "rock" feel but its hardly rock-hard swing perhaps.

Larry was in a group call FourPlay and replaced by Chuck Loeb (who passed not long ago) check some of his playing rock influences in a "jazz setting"

the "soft jazz" stations have many versions of rock flavored players doing "jazz" ..its not fusion to me..will not be confused with any AC/DC tracks

but if your wanting to hear just "standards" -Gershwin/porter etc with rock guitar licks and tricks..you may be looking long and hard..and hopefully will stay that way.."its just one of those things"

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

there may a recording of him doing Seven Come Eleven as well.

User Info Menu

Vladan's quite good at that sort of thing :-)

User Info Menu

Lettuce does a funk version of Four on Six by Wes Montgomery (at 0:33:04 on video).

User Info Menu

- Paul Butterfield -- Work Song
    - Clapton/BB King -- Come Rain or Come Shine
    - Santana -- Europa (not a standard, but basically a contrafact of Autumn Leaves)
    - Danny Gatton -- Georgia, Poinciana, Broadway, Deep Purple, One for Lenny (not a standard per se, but in the style of one); for whole albums, Relentless and the NY Stories soundtrack.
    - Larry Carlton has a live album called Last Nite where he plays So What and All Blues. His main thing is adding a blues-rock/jazz blend to original music, though, and he hasn't recorded a whole lot of standards. But if you see him live, his sets usually have at least one.
    - Robben Ford -- Ain't Nobody's Business (with Jimmy Witherspoon), I Ain't Got Nothing But the Blues. (Like Larry Carlton, basically everything he does is a blend of blues-rock sensibility and jazz harmony, but he also doesn't play a lot of standards).
    - A billion versions of Sunny and Summertime
    - Search for "studio jams" on youtube. There's a bunch of stuff there featuring guitar players with rock sensibilities playing standards.

John

User Info Menu

Jeff Beck - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee

Thank you. This is what I was looking for (thank you for the other posts as well, haven't listened to all yet).

I'm curious as to what people think about this kind of playing. I think it's nice. Every now and then, that sustained bend or pre-bend thrown in, I'm just like "Yea, nice." And the varying dynamics. Especially in a ballad format.

I wish there was somebody who really focused on doing a fusion of straight licks and this kind of stuff so I could hear how it sounds perfected.

User Info Menu

In the beginning first few seconds of this video I'm using lines from the master - Shawn Lane - on All The Things..
    Not like Shawn but y'know, as well as a mortal can hope to do.

User Info Menu

While perhaps not "jazz" standards, the latest Granelli album have Robben Ford and Frisell play over some standard material. Ford approach it in his usual jazzy-blues manner
    Jerry Granelli - Dance Hall (feat. Robben Ford, Bill Frisell, and J. Anthony Granelli)` - Amazon.com Music

User Info Menu

The only guy I could stomach doing this was this guy:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jobabrinks
    Thank you. This is what I was looking for (thank you for the other posts as well, haven't listened to all yet).

I'm curious as to what people think about this kind of playing. I think it's nice. Every now and then, that sustained bend or pre-bend thrown in, I'm just like "Yea, nice." And the varying dynamics. Especially in a ballad format.

I wish there was somebody who really focused on doing a fusion of straight licks and this kind of stuff so I could hear how it sounds perfected.
    I think Roy's playing is fine. Mundell Lowe seems to dig it. The piano player is good but it sounds like he's pretending to play Jazz.

User Info Menu

Roy was an absolute master at that approach...and his intonation on bends was among the best.

Unfortunately, unless it's your name on the marquee, you'll probably not be keeping the spaghetti house gig playing like that.

User Info Menu

buddy fite!!!!!!!! i love him

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asafasadi
    buddy fite!!!!!!!! i love him
    In the you tube clip I posted of Buddy, a scientist from Stanford said he studied with Fite, and diagnosed him as being on the autism spectrum, but still functional. He described his incredible talent as being of the savant type, which sounds believable to me. he thought that that had something to do with BF joining the HAs.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Bop 'n' BLues by Cornell Dupree--the whole album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    I consider eric johnson to be one of the best on earth...but oz noy is from another planet..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    I consider eric johnson to be one of the best on earth...but oz noy is from another planet..
    Although I must say that wasn't a good example of Oz using rock-blues vocabulary in a jazz context (something btw he does much less often than using (mainly) jazz and blues-rock vocabulary in non-jazz-sounding tunes or over not-swinging grooves).

User Info Menu

Here's EJ Rocking a Trane Tune...his 'time feel '
    does not particularly emulate Coltrane but I think that may be intentional ...

'Rock Technique ' is kind of a misnomer .

IF you want to hear Rock and Fusion type stuff played with ' Jazz Time ' but note bending listen to Eric Gales ....when he plays cleaner ...you will hear that he has more of a 'swing feel ' than Rockers usually have [ Benson /Hendrix time feel you might say ] and his timing is very tight for a Rocker- just like a good Jazzer].

So far including 'time feel' Eric gales is Fusion of Jazz Rock R&B at a more basic level .

Carlton is great but doesn't normally 'swing'.
    He says in interviews that he would need to get his chops up to do Bebop/Jazz phrasing.

Carlton nearly invented the vibrato/melodic Rock ....refined Clapton thing which is common everywhere now..way back in early 70s .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 08-05-2018 at 09:37 AM.