The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017
    Anybody ever try playing any standards or jazz pieces on slide?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Not yet but I've been thinking of trying that with slow ballads although an open tuning will make it tough to fret the proper chrds....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It might be an idea to listen to some jazz trombone players, given that they also use that sliding motion when playing same as slide guitar.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Interesting interview with Warren Haynes and how he uses standard tuning. I have a cool DVD by him where he goes into all this at length. A trick he uses for single note slide is to pick the note with his RH index and mute the string above and below it with his RH thumb and middle finger, that’s how he gets such amazingly clean and fluid single note lines. I used to mess around with slide sometimes, I should pick it up again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Remember this guy, David Tronzo, a great jazz player that plays with a slide? Talk about a slide journey!

Take away all his slides, and Tronzo would still be a great player.

But give him a slide, and he's one of the best guitar players alive.

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    Take away all his slides, and Tronzo would still be a great player.

But give him a slide, and he's one of the best guitar players alive.
    So prepared and dedicated guitar are the same thing right?

User Info Menu

So prepared and dedicated guitar are the same thing right?

I wouldn’t equate them like that. Prepared usually means temporarily altering an instrument in some way, e.g. putting a paper clip on a string or an object between the strings or something. It can be applied and taken off again relatively quickly. Doesn’t necessarily relate specifically to slide guitar.

Dedicated (in the context of slide guitar) means a spare guitar completely set up for slide playing and nothing else. So it would have heavy strings and a very high action, to facilitate slide playing. You wouldn’t change it much, it would be a permanent setup.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I wouldn’t equate them like that. Prepared usually means temporarily altering an instrument in some way, e.g. putting a paper clip on a string or an object between the strings or something. It can be applied and taken off again relatively quickly. Doesn’t necessarily relate specifically to slide guitar.

Dedicated (in the context of slide guitar) means a spare guitar completely set up for slide playing and nothing else. So it would have heavy strings and a very high action, to facilitate slide playing. You wouldn’t change it much, it would be a permanent setup.
    That makes sense like John Cage's prepared piano right?!

User Info Menu

That makes sense like John Cage's prepared piano right?!

Yes that’s it.

Here's an arrangement of Blackbird I came up with. Open E capo'd up to G. Flatwounds on this teisco. Action not very high, just enough for a little rattle.

User Info Menu

Here's a guy in Australia who plays slide in standard and dropped D tuning. No jazz, but a blues player. He uses a custom brass slide on his pinky. Here's one of his videos.

Kirk Lorange! He is fantastic!