The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

I know this is a jazz site and slide guitar is mainly associated with the blues but you can play slide jazz. I remember seeing Jack Pearson play Well You Needn't once and it knocked me out. Anyways I was at my local guitar shop yesterday and the guy there tried to sell me on getting a 30 dollar slide. I thought about it but ultimately just bought another cheap 8 dollar Dunlop slide. Any thoughts on the difference between cheap and expensive slides or how about cheap vs expensive period for that matter heh?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Marketing. I'm a passionate acoustic and electric slide player and my favourites are either cheap or at least not overly expensive.

User Info Menu

For me the most important factors are size, fit, and material. The slide has to fit the finger snugly, but not overly so.The slide must have a certain heft, but not too much, or you wind up with damaged frets. I stopped using metal slides for years because they just get funky and are difficult to clean; however my Son recently crafted one for me from stainless steel and it is quite nice. My other slides are glass of a certain size, and a Mudslide, which is glazed ceramic. My Coricidin bottles, alas, are long gone. It takes some experimentation to find out what works best with a given instrument/string combination. Good luck in your quest.

User Info Menu

Duane Allman seemed to play ok and he only used a Coricidin bottle that was probably worth 5 cents. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Duane Allman seemed to play ok and he only used a Coricidin bottle that was probably worth 5 cents. 'Nuff said.
    That's some food for thought I've also munched on!

User Info Menu

The Dunlops are the best if you ask me. They only cost around $10. I have a bunch of them from when I used to play a lot of slide. Duane is the man. Transcribe some of his stuff from the "Anthology - Volume 1" album and from Derek & The Dominoes. I can't tell which one I have but I think it's the Dunlop 210, 215 or 218 from their site: Slides & Tonebars
    -

Accessories
    -

Products

User Info Menu

the great lowell george used a sears craftsman socket wrench!

i'm with ck74, all about the fit and the materials...just the difference between glass and metal is huge..then you can get into chrome vs brass etc etc....also how it sits, and on what finger...

like all things guitar, constant trial and error....till it doesnt really matter anymore...they're all good! haha

cheers

ps- my recent fave has been a dunlop glass 212...its thickish glass and shortish...two ring finger joints long...i use it on my ring finger....

I have the Dunlop 213 and use ring finger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Marketing. I'm a passionate acoustic and electric slide player and my favourites are either cheap or at least not overly expensive.

that's true blues my friend!!

the essence

the old blues guys cut down whiskey bottle necks for slides!!! used "snake oil" bottles! ...anything

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-16-2018 at 09:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017
    I have the Dunlop 213 and use ring finger.

213 has same thick glass as 212, but 212 is shorter length....i also used the glass 203 for a run....its same size as 213, but thin glass...needs a very light touch!

i started out with chrome slide (212 style) on pinky in g tuning...keith & ry!!!...i filled chrome slide with melted wax and stuck my pinky in for exact mold...set it for exactly where i wanted it on my finger...worked great...to this day!!...raw primal bluesy vibe

now play in standard tuning...with glass...more hari (and derek trucks) melodic...nuance...not that you can't wail with it tho!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

The lower your action is, the lighter the slide should be.

I started practicing on none dedicated guitar so I'm also considering a shorter slide (I currently use the Dunlop 212) as I mostly play single notes or double stops.

These are the main things I figured out... not sure how expenssive slides help, it's just about finding the right slide for your technique. And if you need a glass slide - I hope you can find cheap ones that fit you. Invest in a good broom and dustpan...

User Info Menu

Remember this guy, David Tronzo, a great jazz player that plays with a slide? Talk about a slide journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_L
    The lower your action is, the lighter the slide should be.

I started practicing on none dedicated guitar so I'm also considering a shorter slide (I currently use the Dunlop 212) as I mostly play single notes or double stops.

These are the main things I figured out... not sure how expenssive slides help, it's just about finding the right slide for your technique. And if you need a glass slide - I hope you can find cheap ones that fit you. Invest in a good broom and dustpan...
    Sorry for the ignorance but what is a dedicated and none dedicated guitar?

User Info Menu

Sorry for the ignorance but what is a dedicated and none dedicated guitar?
    Sorry, maybe it's just the way I define it...

Many slide players do the next two things:
    1. tune their guitar to an open major chord (usually open E, D, G or A) - it allows one to play full chords and play arpeggios in one position (it's a very common slide phrase).
    2. raise the action so they don't have to mind hitting the frets with the slide. It also allows heavier slides (it's not a must, just a matter of selection).

I decided to focus on playing slide on standard tuning guitars. It's much more limiting, although one can learn to get a few very cool sounds out of it. I might reconsider when I'll have a roadie to carry my guitar arsenal to every gig...

Sorry, maybe it's just the way I define it...

Many slide players do the next two things:
    1. tune their guitar to an open major chord (usually open E, D, G or A) - it allows one to play full chords and play arpeggios in one position (it's a very common slide phrase).
    2. raise the action so they don't have to mind hitting the frets with the slide. It also allows heavier slides (it's not a must, just a matter of selection).

I decided to focus on playing slide on standard tuning guitars. It's much more limiting, although one can learn to get a few very cool sounds out of it. I might reconsider when I'll have a roadie to carry my guitar arsenal to every gig...
    Yeah what I like about standard tuning is you can play slide and throw in some chords and changes in with it. I think that sounds good but yeah it's limiting. I was trying to play slide on my epiphone 335 semi-hollow body copy of the Gibson and the action is so low on it in standard tuning makes it tough. But my Martin and dobro resonator sound great even in standard.

User Info Menu

I took out my slide and played for 20 minutes after a few month of not touching it. It's like riding a bicycle - you never really forget... only thing I forgot is that it's a 210 and not a 212.

I took out my slide and played for 20 minutes after a few month of not touching it. It's like riding a bicycle - you never really forget... only thing I forgot is that it's a 210 and not a 212.
    Yeah honestly slide might be easier than regular guitar if you got the ear. Some equate it to stride piano. I'm not so sure on that 1 but I can see similarities.

User Info Menu

if its getting easy, it's time to take it up another level!! hah

strive ahead!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    if its getting easy, it's time to take it up another level!! hah

strive ahead!

cheers
    I didn't say easy just maybe easier than jazz and classical guitar.

User Info Menu

I use a shorter, thick-walled Dunlop Pyrex. I play in standard tuning and do not maintain any special setup; I like being able to go between slide and standard playing at will.

And if you need a glass slide - I hope you can find cheap ones that fit you. Invest in a good broom and dustpan...
    Pyrex is surprisingly resilient. I'm betting the wine-bottlenecks are, too. The Coricidin bottles, not so sure.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 06-24-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I use a shorter, think-walled Dunlop Pyrex. I play in standard tuning and do not maintain any special setup; I like being able to go between slide and standard playing at will.

Pyrex is surprisingly resilient. I'm betting the wine-bottlenecks are, too. The Coricidin bottles, not so sure.
    Going back and forth between slide and standard is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I use a shorter, think-walled Dunlop Pyrex. I play in standard tuning and do not maintain any special setup; I like being able to go between slide and standard playing at will.

People I hear used the coricidin bottle up until recently!

User Info Menu

People I hear used the coricidin bottle up until recently!

I tried a repro, oh, I don't know, maybe fifteen years ago ... just didn't gel with it. I like my slide on my pinky, that repro bottle was a bit too sloppy there. Worked great on my ring-finger, but I didn't like how it affected my chording.

Horses for courses, eh.

User Info Menu

I have an original somebody gave me decades ago. Thin wall and eats up too much string energy for me....

Anybody ever try playing any standards or jazz pieces on slide?