• No, it stays behind the neck

61 36.53%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 107

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I use the thumb a lot but for muting rather than fretting
    I use it for sounding bass notes but since I switched from an archtop to a Tele and have a brighter attack overall, I use the thumb for muting too. It's a big help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good enough for Barney Kessel, good enough for me.

User Info Menu

why do we never talk about using the thumb on the high strings? My teacher Pierre Cullaz did. See Advices for guitarists, p.70

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    The thumb-over-neck question comes up from new players.

Here's the answer:

You put your thumb over the neck when it's appropriate such as when you are doing string bends or making certain chords or it is convenient.

You put your thumb behind the neck when it's appropriate such as when you make other types of chord grips or whenever it is convenient.

Anyone who tells you there is only one "right" way is full of carp.

Attachment 60224
    plus it's difficult to get your thumb over a carp
    guitar not so much .....

User Info Menu

Carpe diem
    (Catch the carp)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    Carpe diem
    (Catch the carp)
    Carpe diem
    Seize the fish !

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There are players, like Guinga, who use thumb all the way in front of the neck -- any string. You see it, but you can't hear anything unusual. Perfectly executed.

He plays chords that can't be played another way in standard tuning.

He does it on nylon. I can't recall seeing anybody do it on steel strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    ...who use thumb all the way in front of the neck -- any string.
    You mean like classical cello and double bass technique?
    The classicists may use the thumb brought under around and above onto the fingerboard like a capo, beyond which to figure lines (including "open strings" with respect to the thumb acting as "nut") when playing way up above where the neck joins the body...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    You mean like classical cello and double bass technique?
    The classicists may use the thumb brought under around and above onto the fingerboard like a capo, beyond which to figure lines (including "open strings" with respect to the thumb acting as "nut") when playing way up above where the neck joins the body...
    Yes. That's a good description of what Guinga does. Also Marcus Tardelli and Ian Faquini.

Here's a video of Sr. Tardelli. Check out :10 to :25 (meaning skip the first 10 seconds). If you check out the rest of it, you'll find an astonishing combination of musicality and technique.

Rhythms from Brazil: Guinga. Marcus Tardelli - Canal March

User Info Menu

Amazing and beautiful... curious, classical guitar and form but on the right leg rather than the left... you think maybe because it facilitates the special thumb technique?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Amazing and beautiful... curious, classical guitar and form but on the right leg rather than the left... you think maybe because it facilitates the special thumb technique?
    I don't know. I hadn't noticed it. The only thing I can offer is that I heard that he is self-taught. I also heard that his ears and fretboard knowledge are so strong that he can hear a classical piece and immediately find the chord, which is why he developed the thumb technique to begin with -- because he knew the exact notes he wanted.

One of the principles I've heard is that they say that "no chord is too hard, remember how hard it was to play a barre F major at first?" And, they just find a way.

I once called Here's that Rainy Day in a workshop with Guinga. He said he loved the tune and played an incredible chord melody version of it. Using his wild open string voicings and sounding like he wrote the tune. Then, a singer said she wanted to sing the tune and began in a different key. Whereupon Guinga played it immediately, with just as rich a harmony, including a different set of wild open string chords, and sounded, again, like he wrote the tune. Guinga doesn't read music and isn't a jazz player. His conception is, arguably, more classically influenced, but some of his tunes work well for jazz.

User Info Menu

Some chords I wouldn't know how to play sans thumb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    I put my thumb wherever seems appropriate at the moment.
    Yep, same here!

User Info Menu

To echo Christian in post #57 above; "Technique" is not a board approved numbered set of rules that defines correct from incorrect. Technique is what you need to do in order to express your interpretation of a piece of notated music or your own musical idea. No person who's opinion is of any significance cares one bit about HOW you played something well. If it sounds good that is evidence that you employed "correct" technique. Using standard Classical guitar technique and applying it while trying to emulate SRV, Pat Martino or Ritchie Havens is not something I'd want to listen to.
    I don't thumb notes with my thumb because I never developed it. When I watch Metheny play acoustic I wish I had.

User Info Menu

I was self taught up until I went to study at the Conservatorium so I developed lots of bad technique/habits. Benefits were that I had a great ear from years and years of ear training (basically learned to play from listening to recordings of the greats), but my reading was very much sub-par. I use my thumb a lot. I also don't use my 4th finger nearly as much as I should.

I'm trying to improve my technique as there are times where I think it limits my options as to what I play. This applies predominately to the 4th finger not being used enough. The thumb however I find really useful. For many years I played in guitar duo, it was really useful for walking bass while comping chords.

I'm also interested to make my technique more efficient and hopefully ensure I can keep playing with minimal issues when as I get older. I'm only 27 now, but I know many players are struggling with age related issues (some are only in the 50s) that have affected their guitar playing. I hope to be out there gigging still when I'm in my 90s if all goes to plan!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I only use thumb as needed... once per solo guitar arrangment or so
    ditto for me.
    It's not an ideal technique, but in some cases necesarry to play 5 notes. if i can avoid the thumb, i do.

User Info Menu

For me it is an absolutely integral "technique" when comping - I quickly adapted this when I realized that it's a very good method to save sheer muscle strength on a long night.
    No hand-position, left or right etc. is less acceptable, not "less ideal" or whatever if it makes one play better, saves energy and brings the music forward. Dogmas of any kind are always questionable. What would Hendrix say to this ? .....

User Info Menu

People often learn their technique as beginners without understanding the why and the trade offs. This leads to people being dogmatic about technique because they don’t actually understand it.

classical guitar technique has trade offs appropriate to the music classical guitarists are expected to play. It is by no means the ideal technique for all music although it can be surprisingly versatile.

Furthermore the exact design and dimensions of the classical instrument are designed in sympathy with that technique.

User Info Menu

I'm not much of a player but if there's a moment when thumb over the neck makes sense (and that includes not hindering what comes immediately before or after) then I'll employ it. But I don't generally court that as an approach and if in the future I learn why and how to avoid it then I'm cool with that too.

User Info Menu

The thumb is huge for me, I use it all the time.

The pinky...I was lazy coming up...I don't use it much in single note lines.

But oddly enough, a lot of my favorite players don't either.

User Info Menu

I voted for thumb over neck. But I have problems doing it. For instance, this A7 chord.

I can play the 6th string with my thumb, but depending on the guitar, the 5th string will ring out. It's easier for me to rearrange, and play the 6th string with my first finger. Even easier is to mute the 1st and 2nd strings, and play the C# on the 4th fret, 5th string. Same shape as a 5th string based 7#9 chord, just on the 6th string.

User Info Menu

Heindrix is alive

User Info Menu

I used to, but after years of serious classical study it just doesn't feel right. I see the use for it (Metheny comes to mind) and have no problem with it. Just uncomfortable for me.

User Info Menu

There is no "wrong" way when it comes to finger technique. Anything that gets the job done is fair game.