The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 130 of 130

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MatsP
    The motion is a combined sideways and rotating motion. Nothing wrong with letting your forearm rotate as little as well. I don't know what you mean by bringing the elbow into it, it shouldn't move at all.
    Good question. Lo these many years later, I still have to tighten up bicep and upper forearm, and allow slight movement at the elbow for shorter bursts of speed. I also still strive to relax because I fatigue over longer periods of playing fast.

But no worries, as I rarely play at my limits of speed anymore, except for in other genres of music. (Although with COVID ending, I will probably be jamming more with my speed freak buddies, which will require getting my stamina back up again).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Good question. Lo these many years later, I still have to tighten up bicep and upper forearm, and allow slight movement at the elbow for shorter bursts of speed. I also still strive to relax because I fatigue over longer periods of playing fast.

But no worries, as I rarely play at my limits of speed anymore, except for in other genres of music. (Although with COVID ending, I will probably be jamming more with my speed freak buddies, which will require getting my stamina back up again).
    'Although with COVID ending............................'

Did I miss something?!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Are you claiming that there are classical performers that are viewed musicians of the highest caliber that for example refuse to play Paganini cause they can't do speed and yet they're still viewed as equals to say Itzhak Perlman, Hillery Hahn, David Oistrakh or Anne-Sophie Mutter?

And when you say all the repertoire what exactly do you mean. Surely it includes the Charlie Parker stuff like antropology .. or is that not not fast playing but more a medium tempo stroll?

Hi, L,
    No. Paganini must be performed at tempo and that IS the standard for a competent Classical Musician. However, that's not the speed I'm talking about but rather . . . speed for speed's sake. . . say Stevie Vai. And, "Anthropology" by Parker should be played fast, at tempo, but again . . . where is the dividing line between competent musical speed and showmanship? So, for clarity, speed is a function of a competent musician however, speed alone DOES NOT IMPLY MUSICIANSHIP. And, this creates much confusion and angst among some musicians. Pat Martino was capable of playing very fast; Kenny Burrell not as fast. Was Burrell's musicianship diminished in any sense? I hope that's clear.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    ""Head"... been using that term since the 70s. Probably been around a lot longer than that," Fep

Hi, F,
    Never heard the term in Chicago during the 60's/70's . . . doesn't mean that it wasn't used elsewhere. And, I never shook my head, winked, or picked my nose. At most, a glance-- but even that was not really necessary. The term we used was "top" and it was never used playing . . . only in rehearsal. I wouldn't bet my mustache but I wouldn't be surprised if its popularity came from the academic teaching of Jazz that needed terms for everything and gained popularity in the 70's and beyond. And . . .I promise . . . I'll never use it again.

Play live . .. . Marinero

I stumbled on this thread again about my use of the term "top" used among Chicago Jazzers versus "head." Thought a few of you might be interested since there was so much animus and inaccurate assumptions thrown around by some people .
    Marinero

What is the origin of the phrase "take it from the top?"

English Language & Usage Stack Exchange › questions › what-is...

Aug 26, 2013 — Jazz). from the top: from the beginning of a piece of music, typically for a second or subsequent time; also in extended use.

User Info Menu

Players I know also use the term "capo" for the very beginning of the chart, consistent with D.C. al coda, for example.

The old big band charts didn't use DC that often. In fact, they were more likely to be multipage charts without repeats than to have a difficult roadmap. So, they wouldn't be thinking "capo" so often and "top" was very clear.