The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I have dry smooth fingers, makes gripping the pick difficult at times and it really messes with my picking technique. As some of you realize, precisely where the pick is held dictates much of your technique, if it always slips inwards, it feels less secure and accuracy suffers. I feel (and play best) when the pick is held near the tips of both the thumb and finger. Are there types of picks that don't slip? How about a kind of adhesive that feels consistent from day to day? btw, Iike a 1mm turned away from the pointy end....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

take something sharp, like a dart, and gouge some heavy "X" shapes into both sides. extra grip!

i learned that technique from the great jazz guitarist dimebag darrell.

User Info Menu

I saw a guy using some strange pic the other day. It has special thumb indentations with a kind of lattice pattern on both sides which make it mould to your fingertips real well. It is also shaped with about a 45 degree shave on both sides of the tip.

It cost him about $20 though Sorry I cant remember what It was called.

I just use the Jim Dunlop X-H. I think its about 2mm thick. This particular one is made with a glossy transparent plastic and seems to grip rather well. My technique is a bit odd though so I have never really had a problem with it slipping.

Maybe you could try licking your fingers or something. A little moisture should help make it stick and stay in the one position.

User Info Menu

A number of thicker picks have a dimple in them for better grip. I use Dunlop Big Stubbies:

but many picks have this attribute.

User Info Menu

On flatpicks I've used fingernail polish, applied in
    discrete blobs, effectively. Need to let dry thoroughly
    on one side before applying to the other.

I'm using a big stubbie now too. Want to try them in
    nylon next, probably a mail-order purchase.

User Info Menu

Either gouging the picks to rough up the surface or buying already textured picks will probably work for you. Derlin picks have enough texture that I rarely drop them and I like their sound as well as acetyl picks. You can get both from Clayton.

=-) PJ

User Info Menu

what, the pic of picks? you like it that much, huh, yu?

boy, i seem to remember you here before, different numbers after your name, same avatar and bullshit non-posts.

if you're gonna sell us shit, leave the jordans, we ain't interested. maybe "heinriksen jazzamp $400" would be a good signature...

only thing worse than a spammer is a dumb as rocks spammer. dumber than a sack of booteg chinese jordans.

User Info Menu

I have the thickest Dunlop Big Stubby (that's what she said). I love it to death.

User Info Menu

I use Dunlop Jazz III but sometimes have the problem of slippage. Which Dunlop Big Stubby would best match the thickness of the Jazz IIIs? Are they the same size as the teardrops? I don't care for large picks.

User Info Menu

Dunlop has some new "grippier" Jazz III's on their website.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrSatan
    I have the thickest Dunlop Big Stubby (that's what she said). I love it to death.
    I have a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Not, really, but I have this ... Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz

User Info Menu

Big stubbys are good till you get the littlest bit of moisture on your hands then that sucker is gone.

I use those or jazz III's and drill a hole in them.

User Info Menu

The best advice I got to fix this problem was from the late but still great danny gatton...cigarette ashes(which used to be in abundant supply in clubs and bars)rub a little on your finger tips and that pick is going no where. I imagine any thing of the same consistency would work.

User Info Menu

The new Jazz III's have finger grip on them, they are great picks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicjohnny
    The new Jazz III's have finger grip on them, they are great picks!

you mean the new ultlex one's? i use those, they are great but I usually file the edge a bit and still go with the ashes, when you get the sweat pumping they still slide around like woah.

User Info Menu

A simple solution is to make a hole in the pick with a paper punch. Or if you have access to a drill, you can simply drill a 1/4" hole through it. Or you can get some Gorilla Snot. Google it.

Cut

User Info Menu

"V-Picks" a new product, really do seem to get stickier as they warm up
    from contact with your fingers. Pricey, difficult to find, but I like mine.
    Still, my favorite is large fender "Thin"s for chords.

Have not gotten to the nylon Big Stubbies as I mentioned earlier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    "V-Picks" a new product, really do seem to get stickier as they warm up
    from contact with your fingers. Pricey, difficult to find, but I like mine.
    BTW, despite their name, you can order V-picks from juststrings: V-Picks

User Info Menu

I had the same problems and worked on it very hard. First thing I discovered was, that my whole picking technique was not so effective, not enough picking motion, etc. Then I got a very good teacher. He plays Dugain Picks, has really good attack and can play very fast, too. So I decided to get those picks too and changed my technique to a closed right hand with the thumb and the index finger in the troughs of the Dugain pick. After a couple of month I can now use whatever pick I want and it will not slip. My sound has improved alot, too.

Concerning the Big Stubbies mentioned by others here, I've tried them too, but I found them to sound too bright and remove a lot of mids.

Cheers, Chris

User Info Menu

Princeplanet,try skateboard grip tape.Your pick will never move,a roll from amazon will cost about $4.00 just cut to shape and play away.

Cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    Princeplanet,try skateboard grip tape.Your pick will never move,a roll from amazon will cost about $4.00 just cut to shape and play away.

Cheers Tom
    Nice suggestion!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cutnstuf
    A simple solution is to make a hole in the pick with a paper punch. Or if you have access to a drill, you can simply drill a 1/4" hole through it. Or you can get some Gorilla Snot. Google it.
    That's on my short list of things I'm afraid to Google

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    That's on my short list of things I'm afraid to Google
    LOL!! Here ya go:
    Buy Gorilla Snot Gorilla Snot | Stick Accessories | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag

Cheers Tom
    Funny, I would have never thought of this, but my favorite picks feature a small disc of abrasive material very similar to skateboard grip tape. I refer to them as cat tongue picks, as they have the same sort of abrasiveness.

User Info Menu

You can get Red Bear picks with 6 little holes in them for grip. On mine, I don't have the holes, but they are fairly tacky anyway. Closest thing to the real shell I had in the 70's. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Red Bear Trading Co. The Best Guitar Picks Made - Your Tone Starts Right Here