The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28
    I've been hybrid picking for about two years now and I never grow my nails. As a personal preference, I always felt that nails got in the way and I also felt growing my nails was too much of an uncontrollable factor as well as something that requires maintenance. I like as much contact as possible from finger to string not only for feel but for tone as well. I also grip the side of the guitar pick to keep as little of the tip sticking out as possible.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've switched to very short nails, just 1-2 mm from the nail bed at most. I find my tone much more satisfactory and finger style technique is easier with the shorter nails. And I am much, much less likely to damage them in everyday life- I have thin and rather brittle nails, unfortunately. they also hook as they grow out, so shorter is better all the way around. Plus I am not spending 20 minutes a day dressing my nails any more.

User Info Menu

I am a hybrid picker who plays without nails. I find the feel of the nails on the strings to be uncomfortable and have had a couple instances where I have pulled my nails when playing and that just hurts...bamboo under the fingernails anyone?

So I keep both right and left hand nails really short. The sound of flesh on strings is fine and you can balance it well with your other fingers if you choose the correct pick.