The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I've been transcribing lately. Trying to mimic Lages sound, not tone per say, but picking sound.

Recorded this with the IPhone. Kids in the background. Not a great recording. It's a short clip, but can you hear it? I finally feel I'm kinda getting it a little.

Lund Like.m4a - Google Drive

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm surprised that it does sound like Lage. You even managed to get that unusual tone he gets from his new Schottmueller guitar. I couldn't explain it to someone who has never heard it, but it almost sounds like two completely different guitars and one of them has a little fret buzz (or a twang). And, your playing sounds similar to his too. He slams the strings with his fret fingers. It sounds really good. Good job!

User Info Menu

The finger slamming thing I've always done so it comes natural.
    I just feel I'm finally getting there in terms of that stringy sound of his I love so much.
    im glad someone else can hear it too. Thanks for the listen.
    FYI, the funny thing is I'm just using an Eastman T386 with 12-52 round rounds. lol

User Info Menu

Very nice sound!
    I like it.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Very nice sound!
    I like it.
    Best
    Kris
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Pretty much bang on to my ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Pretty much bang on to my ears.
    wow, thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    ... his new Schottmueller guitar.
    Thanks for the Schottmueller link! Lage Lund is playing a 23.5" scale on that. Explains how he does some of those amazing stretches! I have been trying some of his chords on my 25" scale instrument and it's just not happening... I feel better now.

User Info Menu

I can definitely hear it! Sounds really good, maybe I don't need a Schottmuller (not that they would sell me one, anyway.)

Is it the combination of hammer ons and picking on ascending lines that you are doing? Funny how different picks, thumb, hammer ons, pull offs, all create such interesting variations of tone. I've always thought it interesting that the flesh of the thumb pulls out some high harmonics or overtones when playing like Wes with the tone nearly rolled off, but if you switch to a pick (theoretically a harder/sharper attack) it gets darker on the same settings. Go figger.

User Info Menu

It's quite literally in the fingers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It's quite literally in the fingers.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I can definitely hear it! Sounds really good, maybe I don't need a Schottmuller (not that they would sell me one, anyway.)

Is it the combination of hammer ons and picking on ascending lines that you are doing? Funny how different picks, thumb, hammer ons, pull offs, all create such interesting variations of tone. I've always thought it interesting that the flesh of the thumb pulls out some high harmonics or overtones when playing like Wes with the tone nearly rolled off, but if you switch to a pick (theoretically a harder/sharper attack) it gets darker on the same settings. Go figger.
    There is a lesson where Lage talks about fretting things without picking, and doing it with enough power that the notes ring out.
    When I was younger practicing Legato I would do this all the time. I would put a hair-bow right at the nut and play just using my fretting hand to build strength. This is where I think the sound comes from. I'm not a heavy handed picker, but my left hand at times slaps the fingerboard.

User Info Menu

I’ve been playing around with Lage’s way if fingering arpeggios etc with separate fingers and not with barres, and although I really like the way it allows me to control articulation a bit more, I haven’t got to the point with it where it is intuitive.

Takes a long time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    Agreed

There is a lesson where Lage talks about fretting things without picking, and doing it with enough power that the notes ring out.
    When I was younger practicing Legato I would do this all the time. I would put a hair-bow right at the nut and play just using my fretting hand to build strength. This is where I think the sound comes from. I'm not a heavy handed picker, but my left hand at times slaps the fingerboard.
    Thanks, that’s what it sounded like to me. There is a distinct tonal palette that legato/hammer-on playing offers (Holdsworth or Allen Hinds, for example) that a pick just can’t create, same with acoustic (Michael Hedges or Billy McLaughlin) or the Benson “snap” that you can really only get with a pointy medium gauge pick on heavy flat wounds.

Don’t you just love the endless universe that a guitar offers for expression?

User Info Menu

I had a Byrdland when I was young that got sold when I was a starving grad student.... wonder how that would stack up to Lage’s Schottmuller.... certainly more obtainable, but I didn’t have the hours on the instrument at the time. Don’t know if I would like it today, haven’t played a Byrdland since then, I don’t think. I don’t have huge hands, but like thick necks. I guess I could always buy ONE more guitar, darn it.

User Info Menu

Might try to seek out the Epiphone Byrdland Elite they had out a few years ago.

User Info Menu

Hey i know this is a super old thread now. But Melodic Dreamer what are somethings you have transcribed of his that has maybe helped with this sound? I have seen the video and such but im just curious if you have any more insight of how you captured this so well?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Have found when transcribing your sound starts to mimick approximate the person your transcribing. The body must subconsciously adjust as part of the process I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin1993
    Hey i know this is a super old thread now. But Melodic Dreamer what are somethings you have transcribed of his that has maybe helped with this sound? I have seen the video and such but im just curious if you have any more insight of how you captured this so well?

Thanks!

Sorry, just now seeing this.
    For me its just been various things that have caught my ear.
    I’ve never really transcribed a whole song or solo, just lines or an intro that has caught my attention.