Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Title says it all, really. I'm planning on starting up Howard Robert's 20 week practice method, Superchops, on January 1st. If anyone else is interested, let me know and I'll start up a group thread.

-Travis
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socraticaster View Post
    Title says it all, really. I'm planning on starting up Howard Robert's 20 week practice method, Superchops, on January 1st. If anyone else is interested, let me know and I'll start up a group thread.

-Travis
    I am super interested in Superchops. However, I tend to join more study groups than I can keep up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Ha, starting anything on Jan 1 requires superchops in itself.

User Info Menu

Didn't you start one earlier? What happened? Super stops?

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    Didn't you start one earlier? What happened? Super stops?

David
    You’re right: I did start up SuperChops back in the spring. I made it through the first 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I have epilepsy, and suffered a major seizure at that time and that laid me up for a while (among other injuries, I sprained my left wrist - it’s taken months for that to heal fully).

I'm hoping my luck will prove better this time around.

-Travis
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

User Info Menu

I have a cool red 74 HR!

I know, this has nothing to do with your thread

User Info Menu

Coincidently I actually printed off week one to start tonight.

Was it four weeks well invested?
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

I ended up starting on the 8th - January 1st was a bit of a blur, lol.

Yes - I noticed an improvement in my ability to play through the changes in different neck positions, for one.

User Info Menu

I’m in. I have wanted to check out Shoerchops for a while now and doing it with others would be good motivation for me. Will this be the thread where we check in and stuff like that? Are we considering Jan. 8-15 to be week 1?

-Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Great to have you aboard! To answer your question - I was certainly hoping that this would become a thread where people check in and share their reflections, progress, advice, etc. Now that you're on board maybe it can become that. I hadn't posted anything this week, as I sort of thought this thread might be dead. I'm glad that it isn't!

I'm actually re-starting week 1 on Monday - my practice routine was a bit chaotic this week (first week back to work after 3 weeks vacation) and I prefer to practice at the same time every day. I'm taking HR's advice to set up a consistent practice schedule - it's easier to continue doing something once it's become a habit.

Now that I know you're also tackling this, I'll keep this thread alive with updates of my progress, etc.

-Travis

User Info Menu

By the way, since SuperChops is out of print, if anyone needs information on how to get a .pdf, just send me a message.

User Info Menu

Google also shows ways to get it - I found it on the first google result. It’s
    A shame that it’s out of print.

I started last night, not a full practice session since I needed to get my normal practice routine in and hadn’t set apart the time for this specific lesson but did spend time reading up to the first lesson and some time with the chords in the first lesson. A lot of my chord practice is without roots and lower notes so I can leave that range for the bass or organ in group settings so I am looking forward to getting some chord melody voicings out
    of this. I really like his practice plan with the breaks, relaxation and visualization. I think I am going to be getting a lot out of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Stick with it everyone! I found it to be immensely beneficial.

User Info Menu

So....... bad luck abounds!

I cut my left thumb open on the inside last weekend while doing dishes. Probably should have gotten a stitch or two, but I didn't. I can finally play a bit, but the thumb is still a little sore.

I'll be starting up week 2 again on Monday. Also, I plan on writing a longer post sharing some of my thoughts and experiences with HRSC. Look for it next week.

-Travis