The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 61

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian, Sco, Bill Frisell, and I'm sure I missed a few, all used them in their solos. I love it, I think they can really add some grit and balls to your playing, not to mentioned give a distinctive blues feel...

Anybody still uses this technique? How about any modern jazz cats, I don't think I hear it, but I could be wrong!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel, Johnny Smith, Jim Hall, Lenny Breau, Ed Bickert used them a lot, so there are several more. Peter Bernstein and Julian Lage both employ double stops.

User Info Menu

Are you talking about whole solos with double-stops, or just throwing them into some phrases? Don't most guys throw in a DS every now and then? Who doesn't? Any two intervals at once, including octaves would qualify.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max chill
    Are you talking about whole solos with double-stops, or just throwing them into some phrases? Don't most guys throw in a DS every now and then? Who doesn't? Any two intervals at once, including octaves would qualify.
    Throwing them into phrases is what I mean. Who doesn't? Like I said, when I hear modern jazz guys, I don't ever notice they do. Julian Lage does probably, he's more connected to the blues than others.

Octaves, yea, technically, but I meant other intervals, thirds, fourths, tritones... You know, greasy blues style.

User Info Menu

Pat martino!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Wes!

User Info Menu

I think I'm missing what you mean by double stops, because every player I know combines single notes and dyads, in all interval varieties. Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie, Ben Monder, anyone from Jim Hall's tradition... and that's anyone including Sco, Friz, Mick, Ed Bikert, Holdsworth, even Jaco. It's a part of the language of guitar playing as far as I've known. But maybe I've misunderstood what this means.
    Who's modern that you've listened to that doesn't use double stops? Help me understand the sound you're referring to. It's like a distortion pedal, some players use it a bit, some just a little, some have that sound as an option they rarely use but it's a part of the language at some point for many.

David

User Info Menu

Modern, blues, double-stops.

Solo starts at 4:18.
    Double-stops at 6:05. Note the crowd response.

Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 11-26-2017 at 11:00 AM.

User Info Menu

George Benson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Modern, blues, double-stops.

Solo starts at 4:18.
    Double-stops at 6:05. Note the crowd response.

Yea, that's pretty much what im talking about, DS used with rhythmic accents, like jump blues players would do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I think I'm missing what you mean by double stops, because every player I know combines single notes and dyads, in all interval varieties. Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie, Ben Monder, anyone from Jim Hall's tradition... and that's anyone including Sco, Friz, Mick, Ed Bikert, Holdsworth, even Jaco. It's a part of the language of guitar playing as far as I've known. But maybe I've misunderstood what this means.
    Who's modern that you've listened to that doesn't use double stops? Help me understand the sound you're referring to. It's like a distortion pedal, some players use it a bit, some just a little, some have that sound as an option they rarely use but it's a part of the language at some point for many.

David

Modern players like all those Kriesberg, Lund, Gilad... You know, trendy guitar jazz, I dont hear it from them. But maybe Im just not aware?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Charlie Christian, Sco, Bill Frisell, and I'm sure I missed a few, all used them in their solos. I love it, I think they can really add some grit and balls to your playing, not to mentioned give a distinctive blues feel...

Anybody still uses this technique? How about any modern jazz cats, I don't think I hear it, but I could be wrong!
    Plenty of players use two notes together, dyads etc.

But you mean, bluesy greasy double stops right?

User Info Menu

Yea, that's pretty much what im talking about, DS used with rhythmic accents, like jump blues players would do.
    Yeah bringing it home. Double stops are just one aspect of that. The 80s gen - Stern, Metheny, Frisell and of course Sco they all do it to some extent, not all the time, but sometimes.

Lage Lund's a funny one because his command of language is so absolute that he kind of tweaks everything he does to be one step sidewise from what you expecting - transcribe him on standards and you really see it. Great artistry in that, but I have to be in the mood. It's ultimate in dry Scandy wit translated to guitar. He plays how he is.

Anyway.... Yeah I was having this discussion about 'where has the blues gone?' in jazz.... A lot of younger players seem embarrassed by it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

But you mean, bluesy greasy double stops right?
    Exactly!

User Info Menu

Yeah bringing it home. Double stops are just one aspect of that. The 80s gen - Stern, Metheny, Frisell and of course Sco they all do it to some extent, not all the time, but sometimes.

Lage Lund's a funny one because his command of language is so absolute that he kind of tweaks everything he does to be one step sidewise from what you expecting - transcribe him on standards and you really see it. Great artistry in that, but I have to be in the mood. It's ultimate in dry Scandy wit translated to guitar. He plays how he is.

Anyway.... Yeah I was having this discussion about 'where has the blues gone?' in jazz.... A lot of younger players seem embarrassed by it...
    I guess 'where has the blues gone in jazz' would be a better title, but then we would be discussing all aspects of it, including string bending, which is cool, but could be show offy... But there is something about DB, it's nasty, in your face statement, very bad ass, crowd loves it! As long as it's not overdone, I miss it if I dont hear it.

User Info Menu

Throwing them into phrases is what I mean. Who doesn't? Like I said, when I hear modern jazz guys, I don't ever notice they do. Julian Lage does probably, he's more connected to the blues than others.

Octaves, yea, technically, but I meant other intervals, thirds, fourths, tritones... You know, greasy blues style.
    Being a bluesier guitarist with jazz seasoning, I don't think there's any better way to add grease to the groove than a few half-step-bent double-stops.

I don't remember the song titles, but a buddy waaaaay back in the day gave me a mix-tape with a couple of Grant Green songs on it where he put that technique to good use. Far and away the highlights on that tape. Don't overdo it, though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Being a bluesier guitarist with jazz seasoning, I don't think there's any better way to add grease to the groove than a few half-step-bent double-stops.

I don't remember the song titles, but a buddy waaaaay back in the day gave me a mix-tape with a couple of Grant Green songs on it where he put that technique to good use. Far and away the highlights on that tape. Don't overdo it, though!
    Def dont over do it, it's good as a spice. Playing long endless single lines is like noodles, so you wanna add a bit of hot sauce and salt to it.

User Info Menu

For me it's all about this one

x
    x
    x

User Info Menu

Def dont over do it, it's good as a spice. Playing long endless single lines is like noodles, so you wanna add a bit of hot sauce and salt to it.
    ... and still want to avoid being cliché chili, all burn and no flavor.

User Info Menu

x
    x
    x
    So on a 5-string banjo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    So on a 5-string banjo?
    Theory nazi

User Info Menu

x
    x
    x
    That's the ultimate one, a show stopper. But yeah, upgrade to 6 string, and you're in business.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell !!!

User Info Menu

Only me, but these come with a lot of double-stops:

User Info Menu

That's the ultimate one, a show stopper. But yeah, upgrade to 6 string, and you're in business.
    He was getting so lowdown, bluesy'n'greasy he broke a string.