The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    He was getting so lowdown, bluesy'n'greasy he broke a string.
    Double-stops in jazz?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by janjakut
    Only me, but these come with a lot of double-stops:

That's very pretty, thanks, but really not what I'm talking about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    So on a 5-string banjo?
    No, Keef's five string tele...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    For me it's all about this one

x
    x
    x
    So, as a relative newbie (longtime bassist that picked up the guitar a couple of years ago), it would be cool to see some other examples of the "classics" - and I mean the greasy/bluesy double stop licks ala Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, etc. I've searched the web, but never found a good compilation of the most common examples. Maybe folks could post some of their favorites or recommend a resource that covers this?

User Info Menu

Giblet Gravy comes to mind, if I'm remembering accurately.

User Info Menu

On George Benson's instructional video there's a burst of double stops maybe 20 seconds long that he demonstrates that blew my mind. Wish I had a transcription of it or could find the video. I'd steel every one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    So on a 5-string banjo?
    Keef.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by janjakut
    Only me, but these come with a lot of double-stops:

Hey Jan, maybe this is not what Anton was after, but it's really nice stuff. I'm working on getting this kind of thing into my playing, (which I think of as holding 2 and 3-note chords under a single note line, as opposed to punching them in, a la barney kessel) I was motivated by
    a lesson I took with Steve Herbermann recently, and also careful listening to Gilad Hex, and Lage lund, and all the other guys Anton hates

but to the original topic: practicing major scales in 3rd and 6th double stops doesnt take long to incorporate and gets at that bluesy double stop thing.

Playing in 4rths and 5ths is also pretty easy on the guitar, but is bit more ambiguous sounding.

Of course you can cheat too: I remember tying to cop a Jim Hall solo in parallel 5ths, only to realize he was using a pedal!

User Info Menu

Yeah double stops (or dyads) is just two notes at the same time.... You may as well ask, which players still play blues ideas?

Who is the bluesiest of the current crop of jazzers?

User Info Menu

Yeah double stops (or dyads) is just two notes at the same time.... You may as well ask, which players still play blues ideas?

Who is the bluesiest of the current crop of jazzers?
    Mark Whitfield.

User Info Menu

Well let’s say under 40

User Info Menu

Well let’s say under 40

Me! Shit, blues is all I got. (And I'm just BARELY under 40)
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 11-30-2017 at 03:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Me! Shit, blues is all I got. (And I'm just BARELY under 40)
    I took a lesson with a guy online, and after playing a couple of lines for him he said, "You've got some good blues in your playing. Don't lose that."

'Cause yeah, for about, oh, 25 years there, blues was all I played. Well, the occasional Knopfler style dorian run, but mostly blues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    So, as a relative newbie (longtime bassist that picked up the guitar a couple of years ago), it would be cool to see some other examples of the "classics" - and I mean the greasy/bluesy double stop licks ala Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, etc. I've searched the web, but never found a good compilation of the most common examples. Maybe folks could post some of their favorites or recommend a resource that covers this?
    Grant Green's Sookie Sookie.

User Info Menu

I cannot believe no one mentioned has the late Herb Ellis who was quite fond of double stops on the 1st and 2nd strings and bluesy ones on the 3rd and second strings !

User Info Menu

Chuck Berry. Forever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Chuck Berry. Forever.
    yeah man...chuck was the king of double stops...and the guys that influenced him...like carl hogan of the immensely popular louis jordan band,oscar and johnny moore, t-bone walker...etc etc...more a west coast jump music or rhythm 'n blues thing...

modern master is the great junior watson

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah man...chuck was the king of double stops...and the guys that influenced him...like carl hogan of the immensely popular louis jordan band,oscar and johnny moore, t-bone walker...etc etc...more a west coast jump music or rhythm 'n blues thing...

cheers
    Love it - thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I was motivated by
    a lesson I took with Steve Herbermann recently, and also careful listening to Gilad Hex, and Lage lund, and all the other guys Anton hates
    hahaha, yeah, you got me! It's almost true, but hate is too simple a word, the feelings are complicated lol. It's more about the direction they take the jazz guitar that I can't get on board with. Like you said, you got motivated, and i never did, and it means I'm outta the game! There is no future for me, arghhhh! But at least i have my double stops, I'll stick to it, I did it myyyy waaay .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    That's cool! I think the guitar he's playing is the same Eddie Van Halen used on ''Little Guitars''... But I might be wrong.

While it's def cool playing, it's a blues style, not really jazz. What I wanna hear is, for example, tunes like Moonlight In Vermont, or There's No Greater Love, that has nothing to do with blues, but you can still stick some double stops in it and it's sounds heavenly... That kinda thing.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    I cannot believe no one mentioned has the late Herb Ellis who was quite fond of double stops on the 1st and 2nd strings and bluesy ones on the 3rd and second strings !
    I think Herb Ellis is not quite relevant to this discussion.

User Info Menu

I think Herb Ellis is not quite relevant to this discussion.
    I beg to differ. Herb Ellis was highly influenced by the blues and furthermore, the topic is "Double stops in Jazz." How is he irrelevant ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    I beg to differ. Herb Ellis was highly influenced by the blues and furthermore, the topic is "Double stops in Jazz." How is he irrelevant ?
    Well, because the OP was getting at the idea of are there STILL people out there doing it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, because the OP was getting at the idea of are there STILL people out there doing it...
    One never do know ...

John