The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Ha..ha. I met Rodney Jones when he came to look at the apt. I was selling in Riverdale. (Technically, this is still NYC, but is, for many intents and purposes, a suburban area, though the subway was just down the hill.)

I had a guitar in a case in the living room, and we chatted. My main squeeze then was a Guild X500. It seems like every fancy archtop I mentioned, he said "Yup....got one of those." He called them "big boxes".

We chatted a bit about Peter Mazza who I'd taken some lessons from, and who had studied with Rodney.

Nice guy...told my wife I'd just met a famous musician.

(When I took lessons with Peter, it was at 250 W. 54th, next to the infamous site of "Studio 54", and around the corner from Letterman at the Ed Sullivan Theatre. I'd walk by, and people would say...."Look there's one of the musicians...." I would laugh and go on... The closest I'll ever come to greatness.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Anyway - I have personally worked a lot on upstrokes over the past year or so, mostly for rhythmic/articulation reasons. Upstrokes are not difficult in DWPS.... Consecutive raked upstrokes are impossible.

If you are a DWPS picker, DUD DUD strings 6-1 is perhaps the hardest drill, UDU is a bit easier actually because you can escape the plane of the strings.

If you are a UWPS picker (I think Peter Bernstein might be? I used to be) the opposite will hold.
    'Oooh FANCY! Coming here with your fancy motions.' ;-)

User Info Menu

Let me put it this way generally to guitar students - it should not be taking you years and years to put together a solid right hand technique. If this is the case - the fault does not lie with you.
    Yes! It's someone else's fault. I've always known it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Yes! It's someone else's fault. I've always known it.
    It's always the fault of the teacher. That's the deal.

Well I mean unless the student does NO WORK.

User Info Menu

It's always the fault of the teacher. That's the deal.

Well I mean unless the student does NO WORK.

I wonder how many teachers accept that deal. Think they should, hope they do, but I just don't know.

User Info Menu

The diligent student should certainly bear it mind.