The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

This is exercise 5.11.1 from Sheets of Sound Vol. 1.

Dave Creamer exercise-5-11-1-jpg

More info along with audio on my blog at Sheets of Sound for Guitar
    Last edited by jzucker; 09-17-2017 at 10:56 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I remember practicing this from your fist book, because I wanted to practice 5ths. I didn't follow the fingering because I play fingerstyle so it was easier to do it this way.

Now i practiced this with pick and fingers.

Pick -Pick Hybrid ( Down Down Finger ) or P-H-H seems the way to go.

i play it with pmam pmam etc. once I get it down a little better I'll post a video.

User Info Menu

Hey Jack. Do you have any personal contact with Dave Creamer?

User Info Menu

David Creamer is an interesting guy. He appeared on a Miles album ("On the Corner"), which wasn't very popular at the time, but has gained a cult following since then. The Miles gig launched a lot of guitar players, and all his peers have had nothing but good things to say about him. He was a teacher to some really good players (Tuck Andress, Joe Satriani, Jason Becker). But for the most part, he's kept an extremely low profile.

I did get ahold a very obscure instructional book he wrote back in the 80's or early 90's on scales, which made me curious to find more of his teaching materials.

For a long time, his website was pretty bare bones, but it looks like its been updated recently, and that he'll have a new book out sometime this year:

TheOctatonicSystem

I think he also wrote a series of columns for Guitar Player back in the early 90's that were supposedly quite good -- including one on 12 tone row improvisation that's supposed to be VERY good.

Anyone have access to back issues of Guitar Player, through a library or some other catalog? It'd be very cool to dig those up again.

Quote Originally Posted by rwmol
    Hey Jack. Do you have any personal contact with Dave Creamer?
    I do not. This lesson was from the memory of a cassette lesson I bought from him back in 1978 or so. I have attempted to contact him through the store he teaches at as well as his email address because he has a book out which I'd like to purchase but I've never been able to reach him.

User Info Menu

The reason why I ask is he and I grew up together on the same street in San Leandro, CA a block down from each other. We both took guitar lesson from Bob Richards back in the 50's and 60's.

I remember going to his house one day and was astonished at all the jazz recordings he had and how engrossed he was in his music. He was miles ahead of me.

I was told in the late 60's he was living as a recluse in a one room apartment above a store in Oakland possibly teaching. I believe he, as I did, took lessons from Warren Nunes.

I tried to reach him by email on his web site but never got a reply.

Randy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    I think he also wrote a series of columns for Guitar Player back in the early 90's that were supposedly quite good -- including one on 12 tone row improvisation that's supposed to be VERY good.

Anyone have access to back issues of Guitar Player, through a library or some other catalog? It'd be very cool to dig those up again.
    Did some digging, and the specific issue is from June 1989. If anyone has access to a library archive, or even just has the issue lying around in a box somewhere, that'd be an awesome thing to scan.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I do not. This lesson was from the memory of a cassette lesson I bought from him back in 1978 or so. I have attempted to contact him through the store he teaches at as well as his email address because he has a book out which I'd like to purchase but I've never been able to reach him.
    In every online discussion of Dave Creamer I've ever read, everyone who tries to get in touch with him can't get ahold of him. I suspect the only way to do it is to actually go to the Bay Area.

i got the dave creamer article in question from the june '89 GP mag.

User Info Menu

This is exercise 5.11.1 from Sheets of Sound Vol. 1.

Dave Creamer exercise-5-11-1-jpg

More info along with audio on my blog at Sheets of Sound for Guitar
    To quote Paul Simon (to Art Garfunkel when they reunited):

'So. You've come crawling back?'

LOL...

more like swimming. And you?

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    To quote Paul Simon (to Art Garfunkel when they reunited):

'So. You've come crawling back?'

LOL...

here's the reprint from the GP magazine article

Dave Creamer Chromatics from GP Magazine, aug 1989

User Info Menu

I've seen Dave perform twice, both many years ago.

Once in the basement at Larry Blake's and again at a street fair in Walnut Creek.

Sadly, although there were lots of people at the fair, almost nobody stopped to listen to Dave's trio.

Every guitar player around the Bay Area knows who he is, but I haven't met anybody in years who actually has gigged with him. Not clear why. His website lists him as teaching in a neighborhood music store in Oakland.

Interesting store. Sheila E got her first drum set there. Duck Bailey taught there for years.

a friend of mine is sending me an out of print dave creamer book on chromatic scales! I'll report back when I get it.

User Info Menu

Here's a picture of my band in 1966. Dave is at the bottom right. I'm standing. This band was way ahead of its time.

Dave Creamer exercise-insecurity2-jpg

wow, any recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by rwmol
    Here's a picture of my band in 1966. Dave is at the bottom right. I'm standing. This band was way ahead of its time.

Dave Creamer exercise-insecurity2-jpg

User Info Menu

wow, any recordings?
    Unfortunately, no. I played bass. The guy on the far right played rhythm. The drummer on bottom left and Dave and the guy on on the far left played guitar. The guitarists played horn parts. Mostly soul.

was creamer playing wide intervals back then?

User Info Menu

The band got shirts!

made a breakthrough with the Dave Creamer technique today. Look for a video demo this weekend!

as promised, i added a video.

User Info Menu

was creamer playing wide intervals back then?
    To be honest, I never really paid any attention.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    The band got shirts!
    Yea. Back then we actually dressed up to perform. What a novelty.

User Info Menu

@jzucker

This one is great, I like your playing. Very interesting stuff to add to vocabulary at least. Maybe, when I have more time I could investigate it deeper.
    Do you, by chance have other pages from this article. Missing ones are 99, 102, 103 and 105. I would be grateful if you could post them too.

Also, you said you got the book. Any comments about the material?