The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

I worked with Joe Diorios book Intervallic Designes over the years .. Creamer extends some of that kind of thinking..

while the sound of invervals may open some doors to extended improvisiation exploration..they have to be intergrated into your vocabulary and used with
    some skill..after you work with them for a bit they tend to become boring if not used in a harmonic/melodic way..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They sound to me like good "get away" lines. I've put some of them under my fingers and since they are using 12 notes I can use just whichever I want starting anywhere, I just phrase it differently accentuating different notes everytime. Like making chromatic scale sound like Major scale. If that makes sense...

User Info Menu

A belated response here. I studied with Dave Creamer on and off for four years, 1976 to 1980. In that time I collected about two books' worth of his exercises (beautifully notated by his girlfriend, I recall). The range of the material was incredible: from standard (but immaculately constructed) ii-V7-I lines, to intricate chordal studies, to melodies built on fifths, on fourths, and on seconds, to whole-tone scale and diminished-scale melody studies, to 12-tone scale lines -- not to mention various picking techniques. The time and practice required to absorb this material was extensive. I considered it my graduate school of guitar -- I had already been a good blues-rock guitarist, but study with Creamer was ear- and mind-expanding.

Just before that time he had been in a Bay Area band called Listen, with saxophonist Mel Martin and the phenomenal steel-drum player Andy Narell. They produced, I think, one album, and it's well worth checking out. Creamer penned at least one of the tunes.

I lost touch with Creamer after that, but I did catch him at the Oakland jazz club Yoshi's around, I think, 2014. It was a quartet with another guitarist, who I'm pretty sure was one of his students. Creamer sounded great that night.

True, he's not widely known. He keeps a low profile. I learned about him only through a thin grapevine of guitar players. But that discovery was fantastic for me.
    Last edited by tlathrop; 03-19-2021 at 10:19 PM. Reason: fix error

User Info Menu

Dave's website is up. I'm listening to one of his videos as I write this -- it's great. Harmonically advanced, moody, beautifully played. Can't think of anybody who sounds like him.

He's taught in the Bay Area for many years. One of my friends studied with him 30 years ago -- Dave gave him a lot of 12 tone exercises.

I recall hearing Dave at Larry Blake's on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley, also around 30 years ago. I recall it as a great set.

Sometime after that, I heard him in a trio format at a street fair in Walnut Creek. Sadly, nobody was paying him any attention. The music was not street-fair accessible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    a friend of mine is sending me an out of print dave creamer book on chromatic scales! I'll report back when I get it.
    Did you have any luck getting this book JZ?
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    This is exercise 5.11.1 from Sheets of Sound Vol. 1.

Attachment 45318

More info along with audio on my blog at Sheets of Sound for Guitar
    It will be great if u can put in brackets exactly which finger of the left hand are u using for each number of this tab, since this line can be plaid of many ways. I want to learn it the way you do it