Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 77 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ginod View Post
    I don't get really the sense of this thread. Maybe my english sucks to much.

But generally you said that you had a speed breakthrough. Then you post your Audio File to show it to us.
    And what i hear is nice tone and phrasing, and when you try to play fast its only noises and less clarity.
    I have to be true, and maybe thats hard but i really thought that the audio file is defect.
    The notes are so quiet and short. People would say simply sloppy .

You say you play better if you play fast quiet, but if nobody can hear your line, then its maybe to quiet

If you don't want true feedback, why you posting audio files in a thread and ask what people think about it.
    How have you record it? Maybe there is a problem too.
    Don't get me wrong it seems that you are a good advanced player, but maybe you loose the focus and good tone if you try to breakthrough all these speed limits.

Edit: I have found you on youtube and just listening to a live record of L- impossible and i really enjoy it. There are much more clarity in your fast lines
    Hey. That's all true. I'm a little sloppy. But I can play at that tempo. That's why I posted Mr PC. There's clarity on the notes there. I didn't say I played 320 CLEAN! Lol. It's a work in progress.

No, my issue is with the guy who said, because he went to my SoundCloud page and played one song, Donna Lee, that wasn't at 320, and said I obviously couldn't play at 320. And he was rude about it.

You know, I said I had a BREAKTHROUGH! That means the work is really just beginning. Now work, which I have been doing, is cleaning that up. But I broke through to 320 and 280, which for me is harder. BREAKTHROUGH. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 07-30-2017 at 10:56 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, and my BIGGEST issue is people who like to talk shit about other musicians without backing up their talking with their own playing. THAT'S also why I posted the clips. I was merely sharing excitement at a breakthrough I had. I wasn't trying to brag or talk shit. But whatever his name is said I couldn't do it. Fair enough. I just recorded it quickly. Bam. Then I listened and it was rough. But the ideas are there you can hear the lines, or I can, and the phrasing. It's 320 BPM fer crissakes! Then I did Mr PC which is much clearer.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 07-30-2017 at 10:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Henry,

Don't take the bait.

Don't let yourself get caught up in these hit and run posts from God-Knows-Whoever. Its the oldest trick in the book. Just turn on one of the sports channels and some of the shows where a sportscaster rips an accomplished athlete just to stir up things.

Reality shows are the same. People trying to get a rise out of somebody and rain on their parade.

I know it is hard, but I guarantee you must of us see through this stuff and don't want to see you wasting time and energy on someone that you can't even see or confirm their existence.

A lot of your fellow pros and accomplished players know this and you don't see them wasting their time on faceless commenters. I recommend that you follow their lead.

User Info Menu

Henry,

I enjoy your playing at any tempo. The clips say it all...you're a terrific player. Don't let the Joneses get you down!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Henry,

Don't take the bait.

Don't let yourself get caught up in these hit and run posts from God-Knows-Whoever. Its the oldest trick in the book. Just turn on one of the sports channels and some of the shows where a sportscaster rips an accomplished athlete just to stir up things.

Reality shows are the same. People trying to get a rise out of somebody and rain on their parade.

I know it is hard, but I guarantee you must of us see through this stuff and don't want to see you wasting time and energy on someone that you can't even see or confirm their existence.

A lot of your fellow pros and accomplished players know this and you don't see them wasting their time on faceless commenters. I recommend that you follow their lead. I .
    Thank you. To you and Unknownguitarplayer - Yeah, I've been thinking about this. The great players never get caught up in the bullshit PUBLICLY. I know many who have really gotten their feelings hurt by assholes. Frankly I don't know how they do it. I mean greats like Rollins, Coltrane, Corea, Miles, Metheny, Mingus, Dolphy, Ornette, always had loud detractors. DON'T GET ME WRONG! I'm not comparing myself to them. All I'm saying is I don't know how they managed to not get into it. But those were days long before the social media.

Whenever anyone pushes against something, or tries to excel, you will upset some people. It just happens. I think it hits against their personal failures. People who gave up at some point. Not that they couldn't, but didn't know how or the path was far more arduous than they thought.

But I DO know many of those guys DID get upset and would talk to friends and fellow musicians. A friend of mine played quite a bit with Dolphy in Europe. He was really upset at a Downbeat interview where Miles said on a Blindfold Test, Dolphy sounded like someone kept stepping on his foot.

Thank you, guys. Your comments are very much appreciated.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 07-30-2017 at 02:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Don't take the bait.
    JM as HH + bait:
    Last edited by destinytot; 07-30-2017 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    JM as HH + bait:

Wow! That Lolita was one crazy movie!

Lolita (1962 film) - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Matelski is way gignetic. Not ontic in the slightest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    Matelski/Zucker deleted his comments. Just for relevance, I'll repost. The thread has no context without the original slam. The first regarding Donna Lee. July 15 - :

After which I was challenged. So I picked up my guitar and immediately recorded Cherokee. He was silent for exactly 2 weeks. It was interminable.

matelski - After being silent for several days (7/29) he posted:

My wife and others here have told me to let this go. But I just don't understand mean people. I just don't get it.

The sad truth is most of the time people go on the attack, it is because they feel threatened and need to tear somebody down. Envy is a bitch.

Its always the really good guys and gals that get attacked. I have seen it with every advanced player that has posted their work on this forum.

That's what makes artists so special when they put themselves out there and expose themselves to the cold scrutiny of the public.

Without getting too melodramatic here, I point you to this quote from Teddy Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

The internet is a breeding ground for "cold and timid" souls that can hide behind the keyboard taking potshots.

User Info Menu

Thank you. I loved it. And Teddy too!

User Info Menu

To Henry and others,

I would like to offer a simple but sincere apology. I do not stand by my recent behaviour or the insult it has caused. We all inhabit the same ark, and I am sorry for the lack of wisdom that I have shown here

Peace be with you,
    JM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matelski View Post
    To Henry and others,

I would like to offer a simple but sincere apology. I do not stand by my recent behaviour or the insult it has caused. We all inhabit the same ark, and I am sorry for the lack of wisdom that I have shown here

Peace be with you,
    JM
    Apology accepted. Thank you.

User Info Menu

To Henry and others,

Peace be with you,
    JM

User Info Menu

To Henry and others,

Peace be with you,
    JM
    Nice one! :-)

User Info Menu

i don't get the reference.. am i 'the dude' ???? i've had some people tell me before, emphatically, that i should watch 'the big lebowski' but i've never quite gotten around to it
    There's The Dude that 'is', then there's The Dude who abides. I think that's the Meta-dude. And I don't think he'd seek to humiliate, either.

User Info Menu

Henry you are one cool dude and I dig your playing. Through the copper of the internet you come across as a lovely guy.

“When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Thank you.

User Info Menu

What fantastic playing, Mr. Robinett. This level of velocity is something we all can aspire to. Just beautiful.

I wish to suggest, however, that those who, like me, cannot play notes this quickly should not give in to despair. Despite our lack of speed, we too can make meaningful and intelligent improvised music, worth hearing, and enjoyable to others.

I was consumed with negativity about my lack of bebop speed for way too many years, before I realized that I had other musical attributes to offer.

Just to be clear, i have not posted on this thread prior to this posting. Please leave me out of these types of discussions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    Just to be clear, i have not posted on this thread prior to this posting. Please leave me out of these types of discussions.
    But I thought you liked these types of discussions.

User Info Menu

With 52,303 members it seems more that a person isn't left out of a discussion but chooses not to join it. If I choose to not participate in a Joe Blow vs. Kokomo thread that's my choice. The forum doesn't willfully need to exclude me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee View Post
    With 52,303 members it seems more that a person isn't left out of a discussion but chooses not to join it. If I choose to not participate in a Joe Blow vs. Kokomo thread that's my choice. The forum doesn't willfully need to exclude me.
    I was accused of being a contributor to this thread under a fake name. that's what I was replying to.

User Info Menu

Oh. OK. I get it. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    But I thought you liked these types of discussions.

User Info Menu

I posted this in the showcase section, but I realized it belongs in this thread. Updated version of Cherokee. Explanation. I'm trying to use dynamics and be relaxed. It's hard to relax and play music at this tempo. It's a little fast to use the kind of articulation and phrasing I've been working on. A lot of folks are annoyed that the technique is "rough" or inconsistent. Yeah, well you try playing that fast. But actually, I'm trying to use dynamics. Playing soft gives me room. I don't expect to hear every single note. Sometimes you hear a sax player rip. No notes are distinguishable. That's not the point. That's right. But today guitar players are used to this mechanical thing. All alternate or economical, or legato. This is too fast. I'm using more alternate strokes than I would like. So I have a certain amount of pick control with dynamics, since I'm picking most of the notes. I'd like to use more legato, but it's not coming out that way. I can't think this fast, so I just play. Whatever comes out is right, or wrong. It is what it is. Improv.

But I like the note choices and overall phraseology. I lose it a little about 3:00. That's proof it's a live performance. It is what it is. If you want perfection, do it yourself. LOL! I hear more horn player when I listen. That's what I hear when I play. I don't have a guitar player in my mind I mimic. I don't know. I think that annoys people. They want to hear what they know already. Martino, Metheny, Sco, Pass. Whomever. I'm not terrifically original at all. But I don't hear a lot of those guys in my playing. But I'm certainly not as good as ANY of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtfree View Post
    What fantastic playing, Mr. Robinett. This level of velocity is something we all can aspire to. Just beautiful.

I wish to suggest, however, that those who, like me, cannot play notes this quickly should not give in to despair. Despite our lack of speed, we too can make meaningful and intelligent improvised music, worth hearing, and enjoyable to others.

I was consumed with negativity about my lack of bebop speed for way too many years, before I realized that I had other musical attributes to offer.
    I haven't revisited this thread till now. I wish we could all listen and remove ourselves from it. THANK YOU BTW! I suffer from this too. It gets me in trouble. Listening to Joe Blow playing, I tend to place myself there and judge ME against him. But what also happens is I tend to criticize Joe Blow for doing what he does. I've seen this so much. Who needs to play THAT FAST! Or he uses too many XYZ. As if his very existence invalidates ones own. It DOESN'T. Each of us plays our own of sense of beauty from where we are. We have our plan, or vision, and we put them to good use.

If I'm always judging someone by some personal scale, I'll never be able to HEAR anyone.

User Info Menu

Henry, you've not had the advantage I have, which was to put down the guitar for several years and pursue other areas of the Music biz. When I came back to playing and performing, I was free of external criticism and competitive nonsense, I played what I liked, saw that audiences liked it, and cared not a whit what any other musician had to say. Turns out a lot more musicians enjoyed what I was doing, since I had lost the need to impress, and was left only with the need to "move" the listener. This relates to your previous post in this way: I get to listen now, without analyzing everything. This has expanded my world quite a bit, and I can now listen to, for instance, young masters like Tim Miller, or Gilad Hekselman, etc., and enjoy thoroughly their MUSICALITY, while appreciating the hard work they have put in. I don't post my music here because I literally don't care what anybody else thinks, especially other guitarists! the ramous Berklee guitar joke: How many guitar-players does it take to change a light bulb? All of them: one to do it, the rest to say how much better they could do it! All the best, you are a pro, and that's good enough for me.