The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 154 of 154

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    ***Speed does not automatically make you play better- IMO...that's the big surprise when you get it.
    His post need more likes just for this bit of wisdom. Fast and good are not the same thing. Land the right note at the right time, and let the Devil work out the details.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    His post need more likes just for this bit of wisdom. Fast and good are not the same thing. Land the right note at the right time, and let the Devil work out the details.
    Absolutely true. It's all in content and context. Taste has everything to do with what is appropriate and relevant to the music. The issue is having speed in your tool box for the tasteful and appropriate application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Absolutely true. It's all in content and context. Taste has everything to do with what is appropriate and relevant to the music. The issue is having speed in your tool box for the tasteful and appropriate application.

Of course -- and I work on my speed just like most other guitarists, because when it fits the emotional moment, I need to have it on, er, tap.

Sometimes playing fast is tasteful.

User Info Menu

It sometimes becomes apparent that I haven't played fast. Someone recently here made a disparaging comment about my inability to play fast. Pissed be off for a minute until I realized I hadn't recorded anything of me actually playing fast. I'm not going to to make a recording just show off speed. That's antithetical to how I like to do things. It's about the music, always, and what is appropriate for it. So I thought, fair enough. For once or twice I'll record something just to show that I actually CAN play with speed. And then a couple of weeks ago I posted some live playing where I was playing pretty fast, and I still got criticized.

I have more to say about this later. Lol. It's a weird phenomenon. You know, the old joke about how many guitarists it takes to change a light bulb.

Bottom line it's about what's appropriate to make the music happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk