The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Eb chord-eb-chord-pngHow do other people play this chord? Although my second, third and fourth fingers are too thick to play as shown. They are not thick enough to have any two of them to cover the three places.

My normal technique is to play it as a double barre and play only 5 strings or alternatively just play it as Eb6.

But I am playing an arrangement of Cavatina and need to hear the Bb note. So what I am attempting is to finger it as Bb6, strum the first five strings and then lift the second finger clear before striking the last note Bb.

This technique is proving a bit difficult to master so I'm looking for an alternative method.

Deigh

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play it as a double barre with 3rd finger playing the 3 notes on the 8th fret .. or just as shown. Either way I can make the note on the high e-string ring, but I have small fingers

User Info Menu

The short answer is I wouldn't! I rarely play six string chords outside of arps.

Gun-to-my head I'd see if x6888x or 66888x (two barres) was enough. If the top note is required, x6x886. Close enough for jazz: x65566, or the thumb-barre-especial, 665566.

A lot of variations on that one. I've always played it with the third finger bar. Always thought of the other one as being more of a classical fingering. Works better with a classical width fretboard.

You probably want the middle four strings. The second string is the most important note, because it's the third. I usually mute the sixth string with the tip of my first finger. I can get the first string to ring, but it's really "extra credit", in terms of priorities and what I look for from students. Again, that second string note is the one. Don't compromise and lose anything with that. If you mute the first string with the third finger, it's fine as well.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-27-2017 at 09:00 PM.

User Info Menu

What are your previous and subsequent voicings in Cavatina?

Default voicing for Eb/Bb for me:

Bb X G Bb Eb X

but context matters.

Wow. I missed the tune-specific comments. Sorry...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Ok. That helps. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deigh
    This technique is proving a bit difficult to master so I'm looking for an alternative method.
    Are you playing this on a classical with traditional but width?

User Info Menu

Deigh,

Are you playing from the same score as John Williams?

User Info Menu

Thanks for sending that stuff but I'm not sure I dare play it again after watching and listening to John Williams!.

Deigh

User Info Menu

No, I have my own rather poor technique and am just reading the music from a Band in Box printout. I am using my Ibanez GB20 with flatwound strings. I don't claim to be particularily skillful but enjoy my music and havn't played before an audience for ten years now so my only critics are my wife and neighbours.
    Deigh

User Info Menu

Here are a couple of options putting the Bb on top:

Eb6
    X
    X

Eb6
    X
    X

Mike

User Info Menu

Cavatina is in E. Why do you need an Eb?

User Info Menu

Band in Box version came out Eb. Don't think the key is important!
    Deigh

User Info Menu

With classical guitar especially, yes, the key is important.

sidestory: I remember a Tommy Tedesco article in GP magazine where he told of a full orchestra ($$$) session, there were a couple of "classical" guitarist present and neither could play a particular chord in the score. Much time and$ was being pissed away so they let TT take a shot. The chord written was impossible to play, so he dropped the doubled root note and the fifth which added little to nothing to the arrangement. He the received a standing ovation from the entire orchestra.
    I am all about respecting a composers work but you have to do it sometimes with the knowledge that many composers do not play guitar and are unaware that some things that are the simplest things to play on a keyboard are impossible to play on guitar.

User Info Menu

Absolutely. It's not supposed to be torture. If something's awkward and getting in the way, change it. There's always more than one way to skin the cat and, in the end, who cares? No one - and when TT did it see what happened.

User Info Menu

Whiskey02. Your remark about Tommy Tesesco brought back memories. He had a column, I thought it was in B.M.G. but you mentioned G.P.. I used to read him regularly, I thought it must have been 40 years ago he was around. In those days I'd read a mag cover to cover and try out all the ideas offered. Now I skip through mags because most of the information is about styles of play I've never experienced and most of the names discussed mean nothing to me.
    My son complained about the 'old stuff' I played and suggested I got up to date. I took his comments seriously, listened to modern playing and bought some new music. After a week I threw it all away and went back to what I liked. I'm a dinosaur and expect to remain one till I die!
    Deigh

User Info Menu

Well it's good to try to keep up with younger, newer players, at least give a fair listen to what is current. You may not love it, but you should be open to hearing what they've got to offer. There are several "newer" guys that get a lot of praise that while I respect their talents, I just don't dig what they're going after. If you haven't checked out Julian Lage, do it asap!

"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there". - Jim Hall