The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

eh?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

stan tracey on piano in solemn mood...what a priveledge to play for Wes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    .......... Me too...that was Stan Tracey on piano in that clip... what an honor to play for Wes...not sure who others were...
    The bassist is Rick Laird who was a founding member of The Mahavishnu Orchestra. Can't think of anyone else who played with both Wes Montgomery and John McLaughlin! Last I heard, he moved back to New Zealand (he's Irish but lived in both NZ and here in Australia before moving to London in the early '60s) and put the bass aside, at least as a recording and touring musician to become a professional photographer.
    Last edited by PMB; 11-05-2017 at 10:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    elvin jones, ron carter.
    True enough! I wonder if Wes and Johnny Mac ever crossed paths in England...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    elvin jones, ron carter.
    Herbie Hancock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Herbie Hancock.
    All right, but apart from Elvin Jones, Ron Carter and Herbie Hancock what have the Romans ever done for us?

User Info Menu

In a World where materialism has virtually drowned human spirituality and the simple endeavour for Truth in Art WES renews energies and optimism for the future of Jazz.He always will....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    All right, but apart from Elvin Jones, Ron Carter and Herbie Hancock what have the Romans ever done for us?
    lol, as it happens I visited the Roman baths in Bath (UK) a couple of weeks ago, it's an amazing place. They are still excavating even more sections of it, which I think will be opened up to the public eventually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    The best Wes Montgomery book -- hands down, no question -- is "625 Alive: The BBC Performance Transcribed" by Tim Fitzgerald.

WesMontgomeryBook.com *

Tim took Wes' BBC video and transcribed everything with the exact fingerings.
    I ordered this last week after reading your post - I hadn’t heard of it before. It arrived today and wow, I am going to have a good time with this. It is so well put together. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Yea... I might check out that also... I made a vid back in 2011... had just picked up Band in a box.... the tune was first attempt using, so the tune and the playing are not that cool, but i did just use thumb and octaves, so might see something that might be useful.

Again... the playing is not good, but it's all octaves.

User Info Menu

Just received Tim's 625 Alive book - very well put together . I can see this being a valuable resource going forward. I have no aspirations to play in an imitative Wes style but it is a great learning tool to see how he approaches the same material within a tune in so many different ways

Will

User Info Menu

Hey, i just wanted to say that i can do upstrokes and i have a normal thumb. So it definitely works.