The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 169
    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    You would think so, but after years of chasing speed with the limited time that I have, I seem to have plateaued out. Still, I like challenges that I can later use to play songs that were once beyond my technical ability.

This might make for a nice exercise.

That fastest that I can go up and down on a single string, while still accenting the first note, is around 190 bpm although I can go to 208 without accenting and playing all four sixteenth notes with even volume.

I will get you know if I ever get there...
    Interesting, thanks. You know, I bet it would be possible for you - I think in decades to come there will be more advancements in our understanding of picking mechanics, and there's some answer to this type of figure. I mean, there are probably a lot of bluegrass guys that can do it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I can play it for a long time at about 150 as written, but I'd have to pick it up-down instead of down-up.
    I could keep it up for 20 measures or so, before starting to drop beats
    I've always found it important to be able to repeat exercises like that over and over, rather than just play it for one measure, because you can incorporate it easier into your technique, and be able to do it with little effort.

But as far as playing it down-up, I can't come anywhere near that, although I have been working on that type of thing lately. I don't do any pick slanting that I'm aware of, but maybe I should start consciously working on it.
    Thanks sgcim. Why do you think the outside version is so much easier for you than inside? Because of all the Gilbert patterns you used to practice?

I agree with you about the importance of being able to repeat an exercise. I think the "time under tension," to borrow a weightlifting term, is as much a variable in a passage's difficulty as the speed. So for some things I might play them as loops and others (at very fast tempos) I might do like...1 beat at a time, then 2 beats, then 3, working my way up to playing longer.

I think someone posted a vid of this recently, the concept being that instead of playing stuff and trying to gradually work up tempos, start at a fast tempo and gradually work up the length. I've spent a lot of time with both approaches and, deeper into my playing experience have had more success with the latter approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Thanks Jeff.

Question: if you were trying to play the passage below without slurring the second note, would you intuitively pick the G string note with a right hand finger?

Probably. I'LL grab a guitar later and let you know what happens...but my guess is probably.

User Info Menu

Thanks sgcim. Why do you think the outside version is so much easier for you than inside? Because of all the Gilbert patterns you used to practice?

I agree with you about the importance of being able to repeat an exercise. I think the "time under tension," to borrow a weightlifting term, is as much a variable in a passage's difficulty as the speed. So for some things I might play them as loops and others (at very fast tempos) I might do like...1 beat at a time, then 2 beats, then 3, working my way up to playing longer.

I think someone posted a vid of this recently, the concept being that instead of playing stuff and trying to gradually work up tempos, start at a fast tempo and gradually work up the length. I've spent a lot of time with both approaches and, deeper into my playing experience have had more success with the latter approach.
    It might have to do with the PG exercises, but I just find it very hard to pick that exercise using down-up. It feels like it's going against gravity. I'm going to investigate that pick slanting thing TG spoke about.
    One thing should be taken into account with people like PG and TG; they're playing all these things on solid body guitars with loose tension, low action and light strings. The thinness of the guitar's body also makes things easier on the right arm's position. In addition to that, they always use distortion. They can probably play it clean, but it might sound less impressive, and maybe a bit sloppier. I'd like to hear them shred with 012s on an acoustic archtop.
    I find i can shred much easier on my P-44 and Mex. Strat, especially when I use distortion, but I only practice acoustically on an archtop. If you have to lower the action on an acoustic and make it sound like rubber bands, like DiMeola, Coryell and others, it's BS, IMHO.

User Info Menu

It might have to do with the PG exercises, but I just find it very hard to pick that exercise using down-up. It feels like it's going against gravity. I'm going to investigate that pick slanting thing TG spoke about.
    One thing should be taken into account with people like PG and TG; they're playing all these things on solid body guitars with loose tension, low action and light strings. The thinness of the guitar's body also makes things easier on the right arm's position. In addition to that, they always use distortion. They can probably play it clean, but it might sound less impressive, and maybe a bit sloppier. I'd like to hear them shred with 012s on an acoustic archtop.
    I find i can shred much easier on my P-44 and Mex. Strat, especially when I use distortion, but I only practice acoustically on an archtop. If you have to lower the action on an acoustic and make it sound like rubber bands, like DiMeola, Coryell and others, it's BS, IMHO.

I use the same floating right hand technique that Troy is demonstrating here.

Personally I don't see action/string gauge as a strong determinant of difficulty with picking. I think it's just what you are used to. The mechanics are the same.

Personally I find it much harder to play fast with drive and light strings, because I'm not used to muting, and I am not used to the gentleness with which you hit the strings. But the basic mechanical elements of the technique (dwps in this case) are the same.

User Info Menu

I think that for these passages TG would advocate 'cross picking' but I don't really get how to do it!
    Not sure that statement is true. Cross picking is one way to go off course, but two way pick slanting is also a valid option.

Pick slanting relies on a side to side motion of the wrist. You need to go with two way pick slanting so that the pick clears the strings. I just tried again. I played it down up. I started with upwards pick slanting which allows the pick to clear the second string as well after which I go to downwards pick slanting which allows the up stroke to clear the first string. I could get it up to 140'ish. Pretty sure I'd be able to get it up to speed with some practice. So basically side to side movement with some rotating in order to change pick slant.

Cross picking relies on up down movement (like when you knock on a door). I don't remember which segment that features this, maybe the Carl Miner one. But downstroke is simply the up movement of the wrist. Upstrokes are the down movement with some rotational movement as well.

Finally there is the ugly option! TG calls it the Swipe (first discovered in Angelo Batios playing, but also seen in Al Di Meolas). If you stick to downwards pick slanting then you can simply use your fretting finger to mute the second string and just let your pick go true both string on the down stroke.
    Last edited by Lobomov; 10-31-2016 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

It seems my idea of what cross picking is does not corelate with current trends.
    I'd really to see two notes on adjacent strings being cross picked in regard to tis definition:

Crosspicking*is a technique for playing the mandolin or guitar using a*plectrum*or flatpick in a rolling,*syncopated*style across three strings. This style is probably best known as one element of the*flatpicking*style in*bluegrass music, and it closely resembles abanjo*roll, the main difference being that the banjo roll is fingerpicked rather than flatpicked.

A typical element of the technique is the use of three pitches played repeatedly within a four-pulse rhythm.*
    Regardless of cross picking and regarding the OP, would the posters who have found their way around it be so kind to post some video examples?
    I can come to certain speeds in certain ways, but I have no idea if the way I do it is half good in a sense of how strong and clean I pick. I'd like to compare my effort against those of true masters inhabitating this forum.

BTW, for the sake of clarity, Mr. Beaumont's hybrid picking @ 120 bpm is not of my interest.

VladanMovies BlogSpot
    Last edited by Vladan; 10-31-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Not sure that statement is true. Cross picking is one way to go off course, but two way pick slanting is also a valid option.

Pick slanting relies on a side to side motion of the wrist. You need to go with two way pick slanting so that the pick clears the strings. I just tried again. I played it down up. I started with upwards pick slanting which allows the pick to clear the second string as well after which I go to downwards pick slanting which allows the up stroke to clear the first string. I could get it up to 140'ish. Pretty sure I'd be able to get it up to speed with some practice. So basically side to side movement with some rotating in order to change pick slant.

Cross picking relies on up down movement (like when you knock on a door). I don't remember which segment that features this, maybe the Carl Miner one. But downstroke is simply the up movement of the wrist. Upstrokes are the down movement with some rotational movement as well.

Finally there is the ugly option! TG calls it the Swipe (first discovered in Angelo Batios playing, but also seen in Al Di Meolas). If you stick to downwards pick slanting then you can simply use your fretting finger to mute the second string and just let your pick go true both string on the down stroke.
    Thanks Lobomov
    re 2WPS - just not sure if changes in slant at that tempo is possible. Every third note, sure, but every note? I will experiment.

A weakness for me is the changing slants...I can do DWPS stuff well and UWPS stuff pretty well, and have started getting the hang of switching slants in the middle of a line, but it's still awkward. For what it's worth to the critics, I've spent a lot of time practicing picking with the more traditional methods, so this is just something new I've been exploring.

Regarding the swiping, it isn't always so ugly, for sure. benson and wes swipe a lot, sometimes it's even a nicer sound depending on what you're goin for. the original figure I posted in this thread, I can do a 'swipe' version ok if it's up-down (outside) but harder going inside, and either way takes some coordination and practice with the left hand. I'll continue with that as well.

Swiping is pretty valuable, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it and some strategic use of it might be a big part of my solution to this passage.

For what it's worth, here's some swiping at this clip (WARNING: NOT JAZZ) https://www.instagram.com/p/BLcmluWA...-by=jakeestner

After I'm up around the 12th fret for a few measures I wound up doing a pretty fast little crescendo pattern. You can probably hear the muted strings but in this context I don't really mind.

For what it's worth #2, the quick but quiet run at the very end was all DWPS/even-number-of-notes-per string stuff

User Info Menu

I should have mentioned that it makes it easier for the left hand, but I think that the thinness of the solid body does make the mechanics of picking easier in regard to the ease of arm position.
    Put another way: When was the last time you heard an archtop player shredding without the use of economic picking?
    You may be right, but what is your definition of shredding exactly?

I know plenty of archtop players who use alternate picking and have great techniques.

Re: shredding it's a self selecting group because most shredders will probably play solid body guitars. Archtops are expensive and quite niche. If you like archtops, the chances are that you like jazz, and 'shredding' seems pretty banal and pointless.

But you might be right, it's an interesting thought.

I've definitely heard some serious alternate pickers on archtop. I mean, Pat Martino may not be the best example because 1. his guitar is a bit smaller and 2. his tempos, while fast, are not "Gilbertian" or "Angleo-Batiaish"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

I use the same floating right hand technique that Troy is demonstrating here.

Personally I don't see action/string gauge as a strong determinant of difficulty with picking. I think it's just what you are used to. The mechanics are the same.

Personally I find it much harder to play fast with drive and light strings, because I'm not used to muting, and I am not used to the gentleness with which you hit the strings. But the basic mechanical elements of the technique (dwps in this case) are the same.
    He's fast, but his lines make no sense, IMHO. Reminds me of Linc Chamberland, another speed demon whose lines made no sense to me. It brings up the question of how technique can affect musicality.

User Info Menu

He's fast, but his lines make no sense, IMHO. Reminds me of Linc Chamberland, another speed demon whose lines made no sense to me. It brings up the question of how technique can affect musicality.
    I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at TBH. TG can play fast on acoustic guitar, which is the thing that was questioned. I never said he was a fluent jazz improvisor and neither I'm sure does he.

Speed itself is one of these terribly boring subjects that I think are a particular obsession of guitar players. Technique should be transparent, a means to an end - the ability to execute a musical phrase fluently at whatever tempo is required, with the fullest possible range of expression.

Any more than that and the whole thing turns into the guitar olympics.

it should be understood: TG will probably be the first one to tell you he is a rock/metal player and not a jazz improviser. I know he is interested in guitar technique and I’d bet composed (not improvised) this piece to experiment with his DWPS technique in a different style.

I’m confident he has not studied parker/wes etc. in depth. However, I think plenty of people can devote a lot of time both to the study of the language as well as the mechanics of ‘fast’ and fluid technique.

I applaud his efforts at composing some jazz lines (I hope that doesn’t sound condescending!) and exploring different styles to apply his technique.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lobomov
    re 2WPS - just not sure if changes in slant at that tempo is possible. Every third note, sure, but every note? I will experiment.
    As long as you don't go from upward pickslant to full Yngwie downward slant, then it should be doable. You only need enough slant to clear the strings. If you look at Angelo Batio (I think thats the vid, not 100% sure), then he goes from a slight but visible upwards slant to a downwards slant that is almost vertical.

Edit: Just tried the exercise again. I rotate while picking. So at the point of hitting the string I have no pick slant but the rotational movement makes the pick clear. I also found that the up down movement of might feel ever so slightly more natural. But either way it is doable .. I can get up to speed, but is off course sounds like sh** due to lack of consistency (Still doable imo)

Movements are very small off course either way

I pretty sure that the point of that vid isn't to impress with TG's musicallity, but to show that Yngwie picking works on an acoustic as well.
    Last edited by Lobomov; 11-01-2016 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I pretty sure that the point of that vid isn't to impress with TG's musicallity, but to show that Yngwie picking works on an acoustic as well.
    I mean to be honest what about this fella?

1:54

That's the same technique as TG. Not alternate though.

User Info Menu

As long as you don't go from upward pickslant to full Yngwie downward slant, then it should be doable. You only need enough slant to clear the strings. If you look at Angelo Batio (I think thats the vid, not 100% sure), then he goes from a slight but visible upwards slant to a downwards slant that is almost vertical.

Edit: Just tried the exercise again. I rotate while picking. So at the point of hitting the string I have no pick slant but the rotational movement makes the pick clear. I also found that the up down movement of might feel ever so slightly more natural. But either way it is doable .. I can get up to speed, but is off course sounds like sh** due to lack of consistency (Still doable imo)

Movements are very small off course either way

I just watched the Michaelangelo one with TG, and it explained the pick slanting concept so well, that even a dunce such as I could understand it, although I nodded off several times for some reason.
    One kid in the guitar class I taught in HS used to bring in Michaelangelo tabs, and wanted to learn how to play them, even though he was a complete beginner.
    He was a brilliant student in all his subjects, and I think he did the MB thing well, although i really don't remember.

Anyway, I think I'll go out and get a few tatoos on my arm like MB, buy a PRS shred machine, and forget about this jazz stuff. You can probably get a lot of sexy chicks with tatoos and nose rings if you can shred that stuff.

User Info Menu

I've definitely heard some serious alternate pickers on archtop. I mean, Pat Martino may not be the best example because 1. his guitar is a bit smaller and 2. his tempos, while fast, are not "Gilbertian" or "Angleo-Batiaish"
    Yeah, Pat's a good example of someone who's worked out alt. picking to the same level as PG and MB, yet still plays GREAT jazz. My one complaint about PM is his lack of using space in his solos.
    Someone said that Pat practiced 36 hours straight one time.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Pat's a good example of someone who's worked out alt. picking to the same level as PG and MB, yet still plays GREAT jazz. My one complaint about PM is his lack of using space in his solos.
    Someone said that Pat practiced 36 hours straight one time.
    PM has a weird kind of space - his playing kind of ebbs and flows. Even though it's continuous 8ths, there is shape within it.

User Info Menu

although I nodded off several times for some reason.
    I find TG's stuff very useful and it's opened my playing a lot, but goddammit ... Why does he have to drag every thing on for so long?

User Info Menu

I find TG's stuff very useful and it's opened my playing a lot, but goddammit ... Why does he have to drag every thing on for so long?
    Yeah, he's gotta tell us about every second of his life in Farmingdale as a kid growing up listening to Metal. Damn Lawn Guylanders...
    I can't take all 12 episodes of it. I bailed at 3 and skipped ahead to Michaelangelo, whose music I kind of like a little.

I just skipped season 1 I think, I didn't quite get all the back story. But then when he gets into playing stuff, man, super valuable. I do agree that he could truncate things, however, from a business perspective, I think he is trying to get people hooked/interested and not just be a dry presentation of theories or observations.

by the way I do pay for a masters in mechanics subscription and it is excellent. for the batio stuff specifically he has a lot of very specific 'how to,' not just fancy animation.

User Info Menu

Hey Jake... yea I can pick at that tempo. But at that tempo I have trouble not accenting, just as when I swap the pick direction, again I naturally create accent pattern. I can't remember actually playing something like that, maybe a accented trill.

On your 2nd example... I generally never finger like that unless notated with some type of ornament or articulation, grace or slur etc...

I think it cool your getting your technique together... will definitely help your creativity and feel etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Jake... yea I can pick at that tempo. But at that tempo I have trouble not accenting, just as when I swap the pick direction, again I naturally create accent pattern. I can't remember actually playing something like that, maybe a accented trill.

On your 2nd example... I generally never finger like that unless notated with some type of ornament or articulation, grace or slur etc...

I think it cool your getting your technique together... will definitely help your creativity and feel etc...

Hey thanks Reg, very cool.

The origin of these questions was trying to get some Pat Martino lines up to tempo, where he picks quite a lot of it.

Question for you - if the original figure was just two open strings would it be just as easy for you, to be picking truly one string at a time?

And again I know this isn’t the most important, life changing stuff, and there even are other technique issues that are more “important,” this is just a specific curiosity related to stuff that goes on in my own technique (And teaching.)

User Info Menu

OK, I gave this a try today. I can play it at tempo, albeit not very well, but I have trouble with the top note being heavily accented. Not sure if this is the same issue Reg was having.

Now, an observation - to do this with DWPS means that the top note is heavily accented to the point of the lower note being a bit of a ghost.

If I straighten my pick up a bit I get more of an even sound.

In either case I am getting a lot of string noise which suggest I am in fact swiping without the muting bit.