The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Julian Bream isn't even comparable to Julian bream in 1978

FWIW, I thought Oscar Ghiglia was the best master class I ever went to. Elliot Fisk gave a really interesting class, too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller
    Julian Bream isn't even comparable to Julian bream in 1978

FWIW, I thought Oscar Ghiglia was the best master class I ever went to. Elliot Fisk gave a really interesting class, too
    A few years ago, my teacher asked me to do a favor for Oscar. When he came into town next, I got to have dinner with them and listen to them talk about music . Apart from being a very friendly and affable and cultured person, Oscar is very big on the V- I cadence and Tetrachords.

Then I went to hear Oscar give a master class to Northwestern University classical graduate students, people already with a high level of musical functionality. His former student is the head of the guitar department in the music program there. It was incredible to me the amount of musical transformations he was able to make with his criticisms on interpretation and technique. I was completely blown away .

He just posted something this morning on FB from an Evanston restaurant, so it looks like he may be in town again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ

Then I went to hear Oscar give a master class to Northwestern University classical graduate students, people already with a high level of musical functionality. His former student is the head of the guitar department in the music program there. It was incredible to me the amount of musical transformations he was able to make with his criticisms on interpretation and technique. I was completely blown away .
    that's what I saw him do, too. I also thought that he just got more sound out of his guitar than most players. When I was just sitting there in front of him in a room and not in a concert hall, it was the fullest sound I ever heard firsthand. His sound was just tremendous. He was always one of my favorite guitarists. Him and Manuel Barrueco.

stworzenie Guest

???

im watching the bream master classes all over again. he actually started as a jazz player...watch him playing Nuages..mindblowing man what he imparts on those students..tough gig just sitting and playing for him..what he detects...and passes to them...MAGIC..

User Info Menu

It's interesting you picked up on these the same time I did! Merge threads? Mine's in Classical Guitar.

I grew up with Julian Bream's recordings. Any recommendations of classical players who have the same kind of lyricism in their playing?

I'll certainly check out Oscar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It's interesting you picked up on these the same time I did! Merge threads? Mine's in Classical Guitar.

I grew up with Julian Bream's recordings. Any recommendations of classical players who have the same kind of lyricism in their playing?

I like Marcelo Kayath, he uses a lot of colour and expressive personality, a bit like Bream. He only made about 3 recordings though before dropping out of being a pro musician, I think they are still available. Plus he has just released a new CD after years of investment banking!

im addicted to watching classical guitar now......some fabulous players im now checking out..i think Bream opened this world to me...

User Info Menu

This being jazzguitar.be all threads must feature a Pasquale Grasso video at some point:

Absurd guitarism, as always. He almost makes it sound like a zither or a harpsichord.

the Nocturnal of Brittens after John Downland..Come, heavy Sleep inspired Britten. Dowland’s song hovers in the shadows between G and B major, exploiting the ambiguity of scale patterns common in English music at this time (neither quite modal nor quite tonal). is an extended exploration of tensions and nightmares behind the song tune...hope this helps to understand the piece...

User Info Menu

Oscar was Segovia's most famous student, having studied with him for 10 years . After Segovia passed away, Oscar taught at the same chateau, essentially taking up his mantle. He has some pretty famous students himself, including Sharon Isbin.

User Info Menu

Julian Bream Masterclass 1978-image-jpeg

User Info Menu

Oscar is a badass.

Godfather of the guitar ...Segovia.He says "no" after four measures. This isnt a master class, it's "play it like me" class...lol not my comment
    Last edited by voxss; 08-18-2016 at 05:13 PM.

User Info Menu

If you haven't done so already, check out David Russell, Pirai Vaca, Roberto Aussel; all three are well represented on youtube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reventlov
    If you haven't done so already, check out David Russell, Pirai Vaca, Roberto Aussel; all three are well represented on youtube.
    David Russell is good, speaking of Scotchmen, I would highly recommend Paul Galbtaith. My teacher told me about him, saying the way he plays classical guitar may be the way it should be played. He wasn't sure if it would work for Jazz, but what he's done for classical guitar is really change the game. He plays an eight string guitar With an enpin that's attached to a sound box .

I mean, for classical guitar, this is radical stuff .

I want to see him a few years ago at this church. Sadly, half the audience was my teachers guitar students. I remember asking for instructions to the church by popping into reckless records, a hipster record store in Wicker Park. Actually, there was a hipster from Scotland working behind the counter. He had no idea who Paul Galbraith was-- I mean, it's not Belle and Sebastian, but what really is ? but man did Ream me for butchering the guys last name .

OK, it's not "Gall- breath". There is some mysterious diphthong there

User Info Menu

I highly recommend Bream's autobiographical book "A Life On The Road". It's hard to find a copy now, but if you see it, get it. It's full of intelligent insights, great anecdotes and wise philosophy about music, and life in general.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Julian-Brea.../dp/0531098141

User Info Menu

Being a long time Bream (and Bach) fan myself, this would be one recommendation, Christian....

im looking for the Glenn Gould of the classical guitar world..any recommendations....

User Info Menu

Chuck, that was nice clip, I liked that a lot. I've been playing that suite this week, and I watched that clip last night while taking a break from working on that very piece!

He did some really interesting stuff with the Allemande. I think that one stood out for me because there were a lot of places where he was playing in different positions than I play it, so I was really checking out what he was doing there. I play the Duarte transcription, and I think that is the one he was playing, too, but it may have been his own transcription, I couldn't really tell for sure.

But I've been listening to John Williams playing that one. Also Yo-Yo Ma to hear what a cello does with it, so hearing another version was a real treat.

really hit the spot