The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29
    Just another stupid question then I'll stop! The answer to this seems obvious but I just want confirmation, to play louder, you need to put more plec into the string and "move" more right? I must sound like such a noob!

Actually, after a bit of experimenting, I found I can get a loud sound without having to put much pick into the string, I just need to use more force. A little issue I've come across though is that when descending a scale, because I angle the pick, I can't actually see how much pick I'm putting into the string! :/
    Last edited by Johnptk; 08-23-2016 at 07:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to see anything. It should be about consistency when picking and to develop that it's muscle memory.

JMO, I could be wrong.

edh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnptk
    Just another stupid question then I'll stop! The answer to this seems obvious but I just want confirmation, to play louder, you need to put more plec into the string and "move" more right? I must sound like such a noob!

Actually, after a bit of experimenting, I found I can get a loud sound without having to put much pick into the string, I just need to use more force. A little issue I've come across though is that when descending a scale, because I angle the pick, I can't actually see how much pick I'm putting into the string! :/
    Tie your finger-muscles to your ears. If it ain't loud enough, give the pick a little more "pop", and then work on your speed afterwards. Descending scales with even tone at shred-speed are difficult for me too, always have been -- they require more concentration.

Again, circle-picking is a big help in evening-out your tone. You'll have to learn to pick from your knuckles for that, though ... it's all about right-hand finger control. I'll confess to using more hammers and pulls descending.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll continue to work at it at ridiculously slow tempo's and see what happens...
    One thing I've noticed from some videos and a bit of experimenting, when descending scales or large arpeggios with sweep picking, the pick angle is actually more parallel than upward slanted...? It just seems to kind of appear upward slanted in comparison to ascending and if the body of the guitar is tilted it can appear more upslanted....