The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Pick slanting: Do you? Which way(s)?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Downward pick slanting

11 44.00%
  • Upward pick slanting

2 8.00%
  • I combine both approaches

7 28.00%
  • I don't know from pick slanting

5 20.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

This is actually something I would like to discuss.
    1. I use Benson grip (something like). This is the base of my picking. Now, with this grip I have both fingers streched (Benson streches the thumb).
    2. With pickup slanting the point is to have the pick above the next string. Example on 2nps with dwps you get DU with U above strong so you can move down to next string (Eric Johnson). Uwps is oposite. Combination of dwps, Uwps, different numbers of strokes per string and huge (at least for me) amount of practice and internalization a great speed is possible (Michael Angelo Batio), but articulation and phrasing seems to be the problem.
    3. Pick slanting toward bridge - this changes the angle of pick relative to strings direction. I use angles from say 30-90 degree. Reducing the angle allows speed and rotation of the pick.
    4. Now back to Benson grip - now, Benson grip, at least the way I use it actually, by it self uses outcomes of dwps and uwps - the pick get above string in both direction. In Troy's video on youtube you can see that outcome. But, articulation is great because I use stifer grip (and thicker pick. Btw. I play telecaster with 10 or 11 and ultex jazz 3 - Will try gravity picks), although, not like with normal grip.
    Very important thing for me is that both fingers are streched. This way pick slanting is almost as natural by it self, no efort is necessary. This is because of the axis of pick/hand moving.
    Pick slanting toward bridge allows me rotation and tad more speed.
    5. Notes per string - 2nps, 3nps, 2&3nps etc - this is also part of my practice because they require different hand position. I think that practicing different nps and different picking techniques, although exhostin actually gets in muscle memory very fast. I combine this with above.

Now, my biggest problem is that I'm every note picker...😳

Will continue...
    Last edited by mikostep; 08-11-2016 at 01:55 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Downward pick slanting with trailing edge. I'm a die hard benson picker.

I love the Troy Grady videos and have found them all fascinating. I love his analytical mind when it comes to the mechanics of picking and respect the time and effort he's put into his videos. Building such a thorough examination of styles is like doing a doctoral thesis. Kudos to him. I appreciate that terms like inside picking, downward pick slanting, leading edge etc are becoming part of our vernacular on this site.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikostep
    Uwps - look for Michael Angelo Batio.

User Info Menu

Hey all, new here.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    I agree. Troy Grady provides (amidst and sometimes almost obscured by all kinds of show elements) a detailed, rational analysis that is really helpful for developing an awareness of the issues involved and that is really helpful for developping ones own picking strategy.
    I totally agree, but am wondering whether there is much additional info available in the paid content that he hasn't already (excellently, in my opinion) explained in the ton of free videos on his site? There is so much free content there.

I assume he couldn't really describe additional insights via teasers without revealing what those insights are, but I just wonder whether there is any more "there" to be had there.