The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

Hey guys

I've been using the Dunlop Primetones, beautiful picks. It's about time to get some new ones now and feel like exploring a little bit, what picks do you guys use?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

clayton exotics...bone and horn

What Jazz pick do you like?-full_exotic-jpg

Steve Clayton USA - Exotic Guitar Picks

cheers

User Info Menu

Plain old Fender teardrop heavy and regular mediums.

User Info Menu

I have been lucky with finding and keeping picks...have tried many types..plastic..bone..etc..

for the past 10 yrs or so I have been using a stone pick...a tad smaller than a medium..with a rounded tip (fits inside my thumb pad !)..cost $18.00..still have it..now I have turned the house (and car) upside down several times when I think I have "lost" it..only to find it in the pocket of my jeans in the laundry bin..

there is no give with stone..and they "wear" very slowly..(I have worn down "bone" picks)..

downside..a tad bit of string noise..but easy to correct..

User Info Menu

D'Andrea Pro Plec Small Round. Big, fat, warm tone.

What Jazz pick do you like?-61mgs5dqqul-_sl1200_-jpg
    Last edited by jbucklin; 05-17-2016 at 09:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Dunlop 205
    Wegen Big city
    Dava Jazz Grip Gel Picks

User Info Menu

Attachment 31319
    I use Primetone.

User Info Menu

I like Dunlop jazz sized Ultex and Tortex as well as the small D'Andrea Plec picks. The D'Andreas are much rounder/mellower sounding. The Dunlops have more zing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    clayton exotics...bone and horn

What Jazz pick do you like?-full_exotic-jpg

Steve Clayton USA - Exotic Guitar Picks

cheers
    I can never get on with a pick that has a bevel or groove for some reason.

User Info Menu

I use Snark Mediums (.7), both Celluloid and Neo-Tortoise, an Ibanez George Benson (also a Medium) and some D'Andrea Mediums. In short, a 351 shape and a medium gauge works for me.

User Info Menu

I use Stiffo Dunlop Jazz III XLs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I can never get on with a pick that has a bevel or groove for some reason.

not sure i get ya pj..bevel or groove??

i have his bone and horn..fairly thick...kinda bright..with use, the edge/tip forms to your playing style...i like'm

i also have all the dunlops etc etc...but i enjoy havin a full arsenal! hah

always have about a dozen picks out in a session..to "pick" from..all very different..from old bakersfield thins to stubbys

cheers

User Info Menu

I like Dunlop big stubby 3mm.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Ultex, .73mm. I pick with the rounded corner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    Dunlop Ultex, .73mm. I pick with the rounded corner.

I use these too, but use the sharp edge. I find that they're perfect for "Benson" picking.

User Info Menu

I use dunlop jazztones 204. Ive had this one for about a year and its the best Ive tried so far.

User Info Menu

Been using V Pick dimension for a couple of years and don't even try others anymore.

User Info Menu

Bluechip

User Info Menu

Use to use Dunlop Jazz II and III but switched about 4 years ago to Carol Kaye's brand. Just get such a mellow es175 tone with them without having to alter amp settings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    Use to use Dunlop Jazz II and III but switched about 4 years ago to Carol Kaye's brand. Just get such a mellow es175 tone with them without having to alter amp settings.
    Carol sells 'em for 65 cents each at her site. (Cheaper if you buy a bunch.)

The Official Carol Kaye Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    not sure i get ya pj..bevel or groove??

i have his bone and horn..fairly thick...kinda bright..with use, the edge/tip forms to your playing style...i like'm

i also have all the dunlops etc etc...but i enjoy havin a full arsenal! hah

always have about a dozen picks out in a session..to "pick" from..all very different..from old bakersfield thins to stubbys

cheers
    I don't like picks with either bevels or grooves. Not sure why but they never work for me.

User Info Menu

Wegen Bic City and Bluechip. 2.2mm Wegen for warm and 1.5mm Bluechip for clear. Love the sound but don't like the shape of the Bluechip, so I butcher it with a pair of plyers to the shape of the Wegen.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried Wegen picks, but my bluechip pick is still the best i have ever tried. It's really expensive, but i play it already 3/4 year everyday and there is no scratch or something like the first day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune
    Wegen Bic City and Bluechip. 2.2mm Wegen for warm and 1.5mm Bluechip for clear. Love the sound but don't like the shape of the Bluechip, so I butcher it with a pair of plyers to the shape of the Wegen.
    Seems I've read the wegens picks are bright, not so much warm. Could you tell me a little more, maybe compare them to others you've used? I'm currently using ultex Jazz iii, pretty happy, not really used to being happy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Seems I've read the wegens picks are bright, not so much warm. Could you tell me a little more, maybe compare them to others you've used? I'm currently using ultex Jazz iii, pretty happy, not really used to being happy
    I have no idea why anyone would claim they're bright. Not my experience at all. And they have a variety of shapes and thicknesses. I'm using the 1.8mm "Big City". The Big City is both thicker and has a rounder tip than the Bluechip, so I prefer it when going for a thicker/rounder single string response, especially on acoustic.

I used Jazz III before, but as I started playing more on acoustics I found them too small, and not able to deliver power and body for leads.

Else, I find both Wegen and Bluechip to last forever. Those Jazz III's got scratchy on me in a matter of days