The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

I got a Taylor Thermex pick recently. It's become my favorite pick and I've had a lot of different picks including BlueChip and Gegen picks.

Taylor Thermex picks are similar to D'Andrea pro-plecs, they are warm and smooth but less compressed, more open than pro-plecs IMO. They come in 3 different shapes, 346, 651 and 351. If you like darker tone, highly recommended.
    Picks | Taylor Guitars
    Attached Images Attached Images What Jazz pick do you like?-tw-80770-thermexpropick-2020-jpg 
    Last edited by Tal_175; 03-02-2021 at 07:46 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the ProPlec 358 small teardrop and sometimes the 651, which gives a rounder tone. I also use the small Dunlop Ultex jazz III once in a while. I have been trying to like the Primetone picks but I haven't quite gotten there yet. The feel is nice but the sound is brighter than I care for.

I have never heard of these before, though. Are they the same size as the 651? The material in the photo looks strikingly like the D'Andrea ProPlec material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    I have been lucky with finding and keeping picks...have tried many types..plastic..bone..etc..

for the past 10 yrs or so I have been using a stone pick...a tad smaller than a medium..with a rounded tip (fits inside my thumb pad !)..cost $18.00..still have it..now I have turned the house (and car) upside down several times when I think I have "lost" it..only to find it in the pocket of my jeans in the laundry bin..

there is no give with stone..and they "wear" very slowly..(I have worn down "bone" picks)..

downside..a tad bit of string noise..but easy to correct..
    I discovered stone picks some 25 years ago and was thrilled as they made picking so much easier .. played stone picks exclusively for a year.

Then one day I noticed that stone picks produce a high pitched harmonic when you strum on top of the normal string sound. I couldn't ignore that and 2 weeks later I stopped using stone picks. Tho I still like my picks heavy, so different version of 2.0 mm dunlops are my favorites

That doesn't annoy you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I like the ProPlec 358 small teardrop and sometimes the 651, which gives a rounder tone. I also use the small Dunlop Ultex jazz III once in a while. I have been trying to like the Primetone picks but I haven't quite gotten there yet. The feel is nice but the sound is brighter than I care for.

I have never heard of these before, though. Are they the same size as the 651? The material in the photo looks strikingly like the D'Andrea ProPlec material.
    I think Taylor released them in 2019. I got a 351 because that's the only one they got where I got them. It's the same size as a 351 proplec I have. I'll order the other two shapes online. I think they are all same sizes as the proplecs. Taylor have also other picks in their "dark tone" series. I think they are originally intended for people who find Taylors to be too bright. So they work well for those who like darker jazz tones on electrics.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 03-02-2021 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Max-Grip .73, but I can get along with anything if I need to.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazz IIs in black plastic FTW. Other faves: Dunlop Primetone 205s and 206s.

User Info Menu

A local guitar shop has started stocking d’Andrea picks. I bought one in shell celluloid and two in Formula Delrex, for testing. Early results are encouraging.

Wanted to try something different, so I just ordered some of these (3.2):

3-Pack Variety set Badazz III - ChickenPicks guitar picks

Awaiting delivery.

User Info Menu

I found a nice smooth rock outside the other day, pretty nice tone

User Info Menu

As a perpetual beginner I tend to suffer from pick anxiety and am never quite feel happy with my choices. I do tend to go revert back to the red jazz iii xls most often though.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazz tone 204s.

User Info Menu

My normal pick is a 2.0 Dunlop Ultex, but in a recent Jim Campilongo interview, he talks about discovering the V-Picks Fusion pick. I tried V-picks when they first came out, and wasn't impressed. But I bought one of these Fusion picks, and I'm really liking it. On some guitars more than others. The Ultex 2.0 is still my #1.

What Jazz pick do you like?-jpg

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazz IIIs, Wegan GP350 Gypsy Jazz for guitar.
    Herco Bugablue thumbpick and .20 brass fingerpicks for lap steel.

User Info Menu

Dunlope Primetone 1,5 mm, big one
    Attached Images Attached Images What Jazz pick do you like?-61c8bixeml-_sy355_-x900-16a-jpg 

User Info Menu

Anything that gives a distinct attack. I hate muffled, undefined attack. Currently I use the tried and tested Fender 351 Heavy (celluloid).

User Info Menu

I would buy some nice picks just like my duo mate's 60€ tortoise shell pick but I lost them far too easily. I should have lost a 1000 since I started. Where have they all gone??

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have been using the Dunlop Primetone 5MM thick picks. Very close to Wegans and not as pricey. Once I got used to a really fat pick, there is no turning back for me.

User Info Menu

This week, I hev mostly been using, Dunlop 205, Pyramid 351 medium, Blue Chip Jazz 60, and John Pearse heavy picks.

User Info Menu

Ive got a couple Blue Chips that I almost never use least I lose the things. Most of the time I use garden variety Jazz III's like I have going on forever. The heavy ones. I used to use McPherson (The Pic That Bites!) but can't find them anymore and have since gotten used to the Jazz III's.

User Info Menu

Fender mediums. I like to hear the attack on the string. I have tried the thick jazz picks and they sound good, but that’s not my sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MatsP
    Anything that gives a distinct attack. I hate muffled, undefined attack. Currently I use the tried and tested Fender 351 Heavy (celluloid).

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk
    Yeah that works, Benedetto and PRS make a similar/same pick. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Fender mediums. I like to hear the attack on the string. I have tried the thick jazz picks and they sound good, but that’s not my sound.
    As i wrote in a reply, I also like the standard Fender 351 celluloid plectrums. The material gives some friction against the string, resulting in a distinct attack. I use the heavy variant, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Yeah that works, Benedetto and PRS make a similar/same pick. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    Exactly...

User Info Menu

The Ultex III XL 1.38mm is my ideal for tone, grip, and dimensions. The only thing it lacks is a sharp point, so one or two notes are lost at high tempos. I haven't tried sanding them down to a point, but might be worth a try. One thing I have noticed is if you have the habit of placing them in between your lips sores appear. I may be speaking out of turn here, but it could be they are coated with, or made from a material that causes sensitive skin to react. Horn has a great tone, but many of them are bulky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1234
    This week, I hev mostly been using, Dunlop 205, Pyramid 351 medium, Blue Chip Jazz 60, and John Pearse heavy picks.