The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    I agree that Gambale often sounds bad on an acoustic. Definitely people like Kreisberg and Lage play in a different league tonewise, imho.
    Yeah I'm more into those players too. Julian Lage is where it's at for acoustic jazz tone for me, he can pretty nippy too, prehaps not a out and out ubershred meister, but I don't care...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    There's some excellent mandolin shred on this tune. Not sure about the song, but it's the sort of things the craft beer crowd like ;-) Prob not as fast as FG...

Acoustic shred is cool. Electric shred is totally passe... :-)

The song is a cover of the band The Postal Service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Whenever I put on "Saturday Night," I just find myself waiting patiently for Paco's solos.
    mr.beaumont and I finally share something in common. Now, about that Heritage headstock...

dortmundjazzguitar Guest

User Info Menu

There's some excellent mandolin shred on this tune. Not sure about the song, but it's the sort of things the craft beer crowd like ;-) Prob not as fast as FG...

Acoustic shred is cool. Electric shred is totally passe... :-)
    sounds like you would like our local Appalachian music.

aside from just the music, living in a big city you'd probably appreciate picking banjo out on the porch of a house that doesn't have electricity or going to a jam session up in a rural county in the hills that only has one traffic light, that one being the one behind the bar at the Marysville Inn

but I guess for now you'll just have to make do with London

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller
    sounds like you would like our local Appalachian music.

aside from just the music, living in a big city you'd probably appreciate picking banjo out on the porch of a house that doesn't have electricity or going to a jam session up in a rural county in the hills that only has one traffic light, that one being the one behind the bar at the Marysville Inn

but I guess for now you'll just have to make do with London
    Yeah I'm more into some 'traditional' (i.e. not really that traditional) Bluegrass and old time music. That stuff kills.

The more poppy stuff like this and the more recent Punch Brothers stuff is too poppy for me, but the guys in my Prog Gypsy Jazz band dig it.

I think there's something honest about playing acoustic music without amps. I struggle on the bluegrass flat top picking I hasten to add... There are some good players in London (a friend of mine taught a really good Banjo player and there's a couple of guys who spent some time in Nashville) but nothing like the US obviously...

User Info Menu

These two are where is it at for me when it comes to bluegrass picking, here's them playing a tune you may recognise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I heard a guitar player that played like FG only 20% faster, I would marvel at his technique but tire of listening to him as quickly as I do with FG. He's a fantastic player, but speed is just a piece of the entire package of what makes a guitarist special to me.

User Info Menu

The more poppy stuff like this and the more recent Punch Brothers stuff is too poppy for me

yea, the difference between them and Dwayne Ware is like Kenny G and Dexter

you know, I always considered flatpicking the cowboy guitar to be like weight lifting for guitar playing. You have to hold the pick tight and play hard to get volume out on an acoustic axe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller
    yea, the difference between them and Dwayne Ware is like Kenny G and Dexter

you know, I always considered flatpicking the cowboy guitar to be like weight lifting for guitar playing. You have to hold the pick tight and play hard to get volume out on an acoustic axe
    Ha! I'll be sure to use that quip next time someone makes me listen to Punch Brothers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    These two are where is it at for me when it comes to bluegrass picking, here's them playing a tune you may recognise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obviously I don't recognise it as it was written and recorded after 1964 and played by an electric trio. So I've never heard it before, or any work by either Pat Metheny or Jaco Pastorius. Whoever they are.

(Actually I really like BSL)