The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Available today, ahead of their official launch on Monday.

No affiliation here - just a big fan of both Grasso and MMC's output.

https://www.mymusicmasterclass.com/p...itar-lesson-1/

Topics Covered: Guitar, Jazz, Daily Routine Exercises, The Left Hand, The Right Hand, Fingerings, Picking Technique, Octave Warm-Up, Playing Scales, Voicings, Chord Inversions, Drop 2, Open Voicing, Harmonizing Melodies, Chord Types, Improvisation, Spread Voicing, Drop 3, Applying Inversions to Standards, Etc.

https://www.mymusicmasterclass.com/p...itar-lesson-2/

Topics Covered: Guitar, Jazz, Voicings, Inversions, Barry Harris Concepts, Harmonizing Melodies, The Left Hand, The Right Hand, Fingerings, Voicings, Arpeggios, Chord Inversions, Drop 2 & 4, Split Voicing, Posture, Position, 6th Diminished Scale, Improvisation, Applying Inversions to Standards, Etc.
    Last edited by David B; 04-27-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Embedded YouTube preview clips.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

WOW thanks so much!!! definitely purchasing

User Info Menu

David, thanks for posting about Pasquale's videos. You're a super cool cat . If anyone has questions, let me know. I'll do my best to monitor this thread. This forum rocks (or swings)!

User Info Menu

Just downloaded. TBH I knew all this stuff already, but watching Pasquale apply it in such an advanced way on the guitar is somewhat inspiring.

User Info Menu

What Christian said. Barry's concept seems incredibly simple but for whatever reason it's difficult to put in to practice. Pasquale does such a good job with it and it's very inspiring to hear how much harmony the concept is capable of. I dig it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Small
    David, thanks for posting about Pasquale's videos. You're a super cool cat . If anyone has questions, let me know. I'll do my best to monitor this thread. This forum rocks (or swings)!
    How long does it take you to put these videos together? Seems like someone suggested talking to Pasquale a month ago, and now they're already out. Pretty impressive turnaround.

User Info Menu

Hi Adam,
    If you should see this, I'd be very interested to know the details of your portable video and audio recording setup - whatever it is, you're getting great results. I saw your blog post about your microphone, which was used in the video with PQ.
    Last edited by David B; 04-27-2016 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

The warm-up excercises Grasso shares in the first video are a serious workout for the fingers (and brain)!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    How long does it take you to put these videos together? Seems like someone suggested talking to Pasquale a month ago, and now they're already out. Pretty impressive turnaround.
    Thanks. Yeah, it typically takes between 1 to 3 months to produce/release the videos depending on the queue and artists we have in the pipeline. Since we release videos on a weekly schedule, we always have a bunch of stuff ready to go. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Small
    Thanks. Yeah, it typically takes between 1 to 3 months to produce/release the videos depending on the queue and artists we have in the pipeline. Since we release videos on a weekly schedule, we always have a bunch of stuff ready to go. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it .

You have definitely found the perfect balance of excellent video/audio, artists, and timely releases. I've learned a lot from the other instrument videos as well as the guitarists. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Hi Adam,
    If you should see this, I'd be very interested to know the details of your portable video and audio recording setup - whatever it is, you're getting great results. I saw your blog post about your microphone, which was used in the video with PQ.
    Yeah, on this shoot I used the Superlux mic S502 on his guitar since there was no amp. I recorded the audio to a Zoom H6 and also used their built in stereo mic for room sound. And I used a sennheiser wireless lavalier for the talking parts. Then it was mixed in Logic and eventually synced to video. I typically use HD Canon Camcorders for the main shots and a GoPro for overhead angles (drums, piano, etc.). Again, it's a lot of work, but it pays off

User Info Menu

Too early to request another one with Pasquale grasso?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Too early to request another one with Pasquale grasso?
    Ha, it's never too early, but it will probably take me a little while to get it together since we have a bunch of stuff in the queue right now. Just curious...what would you like him to discuss in a follow-up?

User Info Menu

minor 6th diminished (if he uses it, which I would assume he does?), further notated examples of chord movement within chords like the "approach the bass" section for example. There was a goldmine of examples he played in a row that I wish were transcribed, I think it was when he first started talking about inversions. He says something "then you can play a bunch of different ways" then demonstrates the same thing with different inversions...I'll have to revisit the video tonight to find exactly where. General comping approaches using or not using Barry Harris methods, same for chord melody, and single note soloing. That insane double stop whole tone thing (I think?) I've seen him play a couple times. Movement in the middle voices for comping and arrangements. Does he use Barry Harris approach for single note soloing? Does he think mostly arpeggios with approach notes, or does he lump multiple chords together with scales that fit them all? But primarily, whatever he thinks are the most important points he'd like to pass on if he had another hour.

User Info Menu

A good question to Pasquale would be about making the changes a la Harris. The scale outline doesn't explain well the process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc
    What Christian said. Barry's concept seems incredibly simple but for whatever reason it's difficult to put in to practice. Pasquale does such a good job with it and it's very inspiring to hear how much harmony the concept is capable of. I dig it.
    I just watched both videos. I think the reason it's easy for him to put it into practice is that he has the fingerboard down stone cold. He doesn't have to think about it, you can just get on with creating melodies, harmonizing them, creating interesting rhythms, whatever he wants.

I think we find that "incredibly simple" is a very elusive quality that doesn't really exist until you know something so well you don't have to think about it. Note the brief but intense three-minute passage beginning around 15.42 Of the second video: I know I have already practiced all of that stuff before a lot ( harmonizing a scale in thirds, sixths, octaves, 10ths, four note chords and walking bass, contrary motion, four note chords and 10ths).

It made me realize that even though I practiced a lot already, and I kind of know it and am somewhat comfortable doing it, he just raised the bar to the nth degree.

"Somewhat" and "kind of" are not remotely good enough. He knows the shit down cold stone cold ironclad without thinking cold . And by "shit", I mean fingerboard.

So, yeah, back to the drawing board. Everything below his standard is half assed .

The other thing I learned from the video that made me feel positive is that I also use a guitar support on my left leg, like he does. That comes from the classical tradition, and it does solve all the back and shoulder problems.

You can get a foam one that is perfectly suitable for archtops, like I have and like he uses as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I just watched both videos. I think the reason it's easy for him to put it into practice is that he has the fingerboard down stone cold. He doesn't have to think about it, you can just get on with creating melodies, harmonizing them, creating interesting rhythms, whatever he wants.

I think we find that "incredibly simple" is a very elusive quality that doesn't really exist until you know something so well you don't have to think about it. Note the brief but intense three-minute passage beginning around 15.42 Of the second video: I know I have already practiced all of that stuff before a lot ( harmonizing a scale in thirds, sixths, octaves, 10ths, four note chords and walking bass, contrary motion, four note chords and 10ths).

It made me realize that even though I practiced a lot already, and I kind of know it and am somewhat comfortable doing it, he just raised the bar to the nth degree.

"Somewhat" and "kind of" are not remotely good enough. He knows the shit down cold stone cold ironclad without thinking cold . And by "shit", I mean fingerboard.

So, yeah, back to the drawing board. Everything below his standard is half assed .

The other thing I learned from the video that made me feel positive is that I also use a guitar support on my left leg, like he does. That comes from the classical tradition, and it does solve all the back and shoulder problems.

You can get a foam one that is perfectly suitable for archtops, like I have and like he uses as well.
    I too have the guitar support he uses in the video (the Dynarette), and it's great. I've been using it for a year or so. It does help my back a lot:

Dynarette Guitar Support Cushion

User Info Menu

he's got a new video , more about single note improvisation , it looks great , but has anyone baught it yet ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mooncef
    he's got a new video , more about single note improvisation , it looks great , but has anyone baught it yet ?
    Hi Moonclef,
    Yes, we have a thread about the new videos going over in the Improvisation section: New masterclass video from Pasquale Grasso - single-note soloing

They are very good. If you're familiar with Barry Harris and his teaching, some of the ideas presented will be familiar.

User Info Menu

Goodness. His LH and RH technique is hypnotizing.

User Info Menu

New videos of Grasso's Jazz Guitar Webinar 1 & 2 are now available.

User Info Menu

What a player!

User Info Menu

Okay I give up,Wow!