The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 89

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLastra
    The Mickey Baker jazz guitar book that many here still study was published back in the late 50's as well, something to say for old methods
    I have that one too.

I'll get through the JS booklet in the next few months. The Baker book? I think he describes it as a year-long program of study, but that's only with some serious commitment. Daunting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest
    Put together a quick and simple on one way to use the arpeggio stack and notes of F pattern 1 to outline a Gm7-C7-Fma7 change.

excuse the video and audio as it's just my smartphone camera

~Eddie

Thank you for going to the trouble of making a video. I'm following this thread with interest, and I've enjoyed reading about Warren Nunes. Thank you to everyone contributing here.

Returning to video (of which I wish there were more on the forum), I'd find it really helpful to have the 3nps scale and arpeggio fingerings demonstrated on video - slowly and clearly - but without a demonstration of their application within a harmonic context.

User Info Menu

It think it a little odd that nobody has mentioned one of the biggest benefits to these 3nps scale patterns; while they can feel a little awkward initially ( I know I can rip through more traditional patterns faster, if just ripping a scale or fragment) they really lend themselves extremely well to chromatic and double chromatic approaches a la Charlie Banacos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    It think it a little odd that nobody has mentioned one of the biggest benefits to these 3nps scale patterns; while they can feel a little awkward initially ( I know I can rip through more traditional patterns faster, if just ripping a scale or fragment) they really lend themselves extremely well to chromatic and double chromatic approaches a la Charlie Banacos.
    Probably because the replies thus far have been to the OP's original inquiry of "how 3NPS players visualize and play 'arpeggios' using the 3NPS approach"

No doubt to me that the 3NPS lends well to scalar approaches. I don't know anything about Charlie Banacos, but I can say I've seen Warren Nunes play some incredibly fast and clean bebop lines with this 3NPS approach. But then on the other hand, I've seen Paco de Lucia play some incredibly fast and clean flamenco lines with the CAGED approach

It would be great if you could post up an example of the Charlie Banacos chromatic approach in use with the 3NPS structure, I'd definitely be interested in seeing some of that
    Last edited by EddieLastra; 12-11-2015 at 07:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Returning to video (of which I wish there were more on the forum), I'd find it really helpful to have the 3nps scale and arpeggio fingerings demonstrated on video - slowly and clearly - but without a demonstration of their application within a harmonic context.
    hey destinytot,

I can do that, I think it is within the topic of the thread. I'll post up something over the weekend, thanks for your interest

~Eddie

User Info Menu

Tim Miller does really interesting things with 3nps! Here's an example:

He also does some great things with 212121 arpeggios. I couldn't however find a YouTube example.
    Last edited by srlank; 12-12-2015 at 09:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Playing triads/arpeggios on 2 strings is what Warren would refer to as 'splitting the triad' and yes it definitely opens the way for moving horizontally on the neck to access the neighboring patterns. What I've come to understand are that triads are the gateway to accessing good notes through the vertical, horizontal, and diagonal planes on the neck. The 4th note that turns the triad into an arpeggio is a connecting point to another note grouping, be it another triad/arpeggio or scale tones
    (my use of bold)
    Very interesting post and thread!

Lots of great suggestion here, thanks everyone! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems few people gives importance to single string horizontal studies. I found them to be quite useful. Anyway, I use a bunch of different concepts regarding the study of scales and arpeggios, most of them involve also visualizing lots of chord shapes and the various intervals in them, trying to escape from seeing things just in thirds and seconds. But when it comes to simple visualization of scales and arpeggio here's some of my work on it. Hope it can be useful. I split the fretboard in 12 groups of 5 frets. I know it's a bit redundant, but every small difference helps you invision a different place to go. At least I find it useful. But at the end of the day this is just the tip of the iceberg, and I think more horizontal shapes help move around smoother. Here's a link if you're interested! Cheers!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

completeCmaj7 - Jumpshare

Quote Originally Posted by AurelioTarallo
    completeCmaj7 - Jumpshare

This is just relative to a Cmaj7, I've done the same for each chord in the major scale

User Info Menu

The 3NPS approach I learned is from my teacher Warren Nunes. In it are 7 patterns that are built from each note of the major scale. Within each pattern are 4 arpeggios stacked vertically, so for example Pattern 1 in F starting from the 6th string contains Am7 (iiim7), from the 5th string is Dm7 (vim7), from the 4th string is Gm7 (iim7), and from the 3rd string is C7 (V7) arpeggios. Pattern 2 contains BbMa7 (IVma7), Em7-5 (viim7-5), Am7 (iiim7), and Dm7 (vim7) arpeggios, and so on... It might be hard to visualize this without a diagram, I'll see what I can dig up and post it for better clarity. The 3NPS patterns and arpeggio stacks are flip sides of the same coin, they work hand in hand, you use one to access the other. That's it in a very small nutshell...
    Eddie, this sounds like what Steve Crowell teaches. I've heard he studied with Warren at some point. Maybe that's where he got it. Any familiarity with Steve's teaching material?

User Info Menu

As long as this excellent thread is being dusted off ...

I studied with Warren for several years. I learned his 7 patterns. And I learned a lot of triads.

But, I do not recall Warren talking about how the triads he used were embedded in the 7 patterns.

Rather, it was my impression that he based his triad approach on his chord grips.

In class, he often had a student play what he called "turnarounds", typically 2 5 3 6. And, he would use his system of type I and type II chords to juxtapose triads against chords. So, for example, he'd say "4 against 2" which in the key of C meant he'd play an F triad or maybe Fmaj7 against Dm7. He could play a different one for every chord and, afterward, tell you exactly what he'd done. I recorded the lessons and checked -- he was always right about every juxtaposition.

So, it was my impression that he played out of triads and patterns. He mentioned melodic minor, diminished and WT sounds, but, as far as I can recall, he didn't detail how he used them.

That might sound like he was harmonically limited. But, he could play a chord solo off the top of his head with incredible reharmonization. Then, when you asked him to go over it so you could learn it, he'd play a completely different one, just as good.
    So, for all the stuff about patterns and triads, he also had great ears and a well-thought out approach to playing at very high speed.

User Info Menu

I'm learning the 7 3-nps major scale fingerings. I worked with them years ago---I think it was a Frank Gambale book on 'speed picking' that introduced me to them---but I lost interest in the sound I associated with 3 nps players and went back to what I had been doing before.

3 nps major scales are easier than I then realized. There are only 3 sets of notes:

1 _ 2 _ 4
    1 2 _ 4
    1 _ 3 4

(Numbers indicate finger used; _ indicates a fret skipped)

Not only that, the patterns recur in the same order:
    1 _ 2 _ 4 may occur 3 times in a row. That's the most.
    1 2 _ 4 always follows the 1 _ 2 _ 4 and may occur twice in a row, no more.
    1 _ 3 4 always follows 1 _ 2 _ 4 and may occur twice in a row.
    Then the pattern repeats.

Ordered the Steve Crowell books "84 Jazz Guitar Equations" and "Formulas for Jazz Guitar Improvisation." When I get the 3 nps fingerings down and get used to playing them in all keys, I should know the fretboard better and have should have refined my technique. We shall see...

User Info Menu

One thing I noticed with CAGED was I tended to stay locked in position and played more vertically, whereas with 3NPS I'm able to play more horizontally because of the way the patterns and arpeggios interconnect to each other

~Eddie
    I find conflicting sources as to which of staying in one position or moving up and down the neck are properly called "vertical" or "horizontal"... maybe these have changed or become mixed up with time?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I find conflicting sources as to which of staying in one position or moving up and down the neck are properly called "vertical" or "horizontal"... maybe these have changed or become mixed up with time?

I've only ever seen horizontal referring to moving up and down the fingerboard and vertical referring to moving across the strings with little or no movement up and down the strings. Diagonal would be a combination of both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    I've only ever seen horizontal referring to moving up and down the fingerboard and vertical referring to moving across the strings with little or no movement up and down the strings. Diagonal would be a combination of both.
    That's my understanding. (Diagonal relates to horizontal---along the neck. Along means along the fretboard, as in from the 2nd to 8th fret or whatever, whereas vertical means the stack of strings at any one fret or small group of frets.

If you play each string open, you are playing vertically. If you play each note on the high E string, you are playing horizontally.

That's how I understand it.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 09-08-2019 at 10:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I'm learning the 7 3-nps major scale fingerings. I worked with them years ago---I think it was a Frank Gambale book on 'speed picking' that introduced me to them---but I lost interest in the sound I associated with 3 nps players and went back to what I had been doing before.

3 nps major scales are easier than I then realized. There are only 3 sets of notes:

1 _ 2 _ 4
    1 2 _ 4
    1 _ 3 4

(Numbers indicate finger used; _ indicates a fret skipped)

Not only that, the patterns recur in the same order:
    1 _ 2 _ 4 may occur 3 times in a row. That's the most.
    1 2 _ 4 always follows the 1 _ 2 _ 4 and may occur twice in a row, no more.
    1 _ 3 4 always follows 1 _ 2 _ 4 and may occur twice in a row.
    Then the pattern repeats.

Ordered the Steve Crowell books "84 Jazz Guitar Equations" and "Formulas for Jazz Guitar Improvisation." When I get the 3 nps fingerings down and get used to playing them in all keys, I should know the fretboard better and have should have refined my technique. We shall see...
    Interesting way of looking at it. Of course that all changes with melodic minor or harmonic minor scales. And I remember Gambale giving lessons on the 7 melodic minor modes in Guitar Player magazine way back when. I just didn't feel a need to get into that back then.

User Info Menu

The confusion of vertical/horizontal:

If you think of vertical (up and down) it could be up and down the neck. But as you look down at the neck, vertical is across the strings. When someone like George Benson talks about playing vertically, he's talking the latter (up and down the strings). So up and down the neck is horizontal.

User Info Menu

Getting one's bearings on the neck is a significant undertaking. It's understandable to stake out your territory via a 'system', whether it's 3NPS, CAGED, Leavitt, Mick Goodrick's Unitar, etc. All are valid choices, and each has the potential to get you where you need to go. I do encourage folk that have spent time working on a particular system to pick a piece of music that wasn't conceived on the guitar ( a Sonny Rollins solo, a Bach Violin sonata) and work it up to performance level. That can answer some questions on how to organize arpeggio fingerings, and how neatly a real-world piece of music does or doesn't fit into a system. Best wishes for everyone's music!

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobby d
    Interesting way of looking at it. Of course that all changes with melodic minor or harmonic minor scales.
    Yes, it would. Though there would be a pattern there too. There's a book called "The 50 String Guitar" (or something close) and its about patterns for the different kinds of scales. Don't have it handy to look at though.

User Info Menu

I still use 3 notes per string for melodic and harmonic minor scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobby d
    The confusion of vertical/horizontal:

If you think of vertical (up and down) it could be up and down the neck. But as you look down at the neck, vertical is across the strings. When someone like George Benson talks about playing vertically, he's talking the latter (up and down the strings). So up and down the neck is horizontal.

In Jazz, the vertical and horizontal terms had a non-direction meaning, more about distinguishing playing the "stack of chord tones" vertically vs playing "linear melodic" horizontally through the chords, neither meaning necessarily direction of pitch, nor mechanical direction upon the instrument, nor the orientation of the instrument with respect to the floor. It was really an abstract reference to the way a sequence of pitches moves with respect to their harmonic and melodic representation as notes within the score.

Were the terms to describe this once sophisticated musical concept reduced to a pitch gradient, or a geometric orientation relative to the instrument, or the musical irrelevance of a local Earth surface gravitation vector?

User Info Menu

Interested to see there are some jazzers who use 3nps.

I was under the impression most jazzers prefer scales starting on 2/4 finger?

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Jens plays a lot of three NPS.

Anyway, I'd imagine that you can basically start on whatever finger and still be within that "system". Most other fingerings are "almost three NPS" anyway?

It's usually one string that has two I think .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

I have no idea what ANY other jazzers prefer. I learned them from jazzer Warren Nunes. They always made infinite sense to me. To be clear these start on 1st, 2nd or 4th fingers. Not the 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk