The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm impressed that he even attempts the upward sweep with the thumb. And he sounds like himself, not a Wes clone.

User Info Menu

I play with my thumb, and I say phooey about upstrokes.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how many upstrokes Wes was meant to have used in single note playing - he certainly used them on chords. That said, listening to the video there is a Wes vibe to how he sounds with the upstrokes, so I don't know. If anyone has any clear evidence either way I would like to know.

That said learning to do a thumb upstroke would be great. I sometimes play with my thumb on ballad solos - I particularly like the sound you can get if you play strongly with thumb on an acoustic - you get a sort of fat, but sustaining projecting sound.

Incidentally notice how the GB run in the video is configured around even numbers of notes per string - this would make it more practical for the 'always start a new string with a downstroke' approach used in strict Benson picking. In this case it would end up being alternate picking.

So if you used the same rule/pattern for thumb strokes with the occasional upstroke and the odd left hand slur, it ought to be fine, right - just like playing Django or Benson style?
    Last edited by christianm77; 11-29-2015 at 04:42 PM.

User Info Menu

I did a gig today and was thinking of this thread. I use my thumb with mainly downstrokes, and can use alternate picking unless I have to dig in too hard. Was wondering how others approach this with the thumb?

User Info Menu

Wes also did double picking with his index finger, I posted a link to a video of Wes doing it ages ago.

User Info Menu

Could you repost it again? Thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Wes also did double picking with his index finger, I posted a link to a video of Wes doing it ages ago.
    Can I see this too?

I've never seen this..

User Info Menu

how long does it take
    before your thumb stops hurting ?

seems ages

I keep having to rest my thumb
    and go back to my standard downstrokes
    with a pick technique ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    how long does it take
    before your thumb stops hurting ?

seems ages

I keep having to rest my thumb
    and go back to my standard downstrokes
    with a pick technique ....
    Hurting where? On the skin where it contacts, or the muscle/tendons controlling the thumb?

For some reason I've found it more comfortable to play with my thumb as opposed to holding a pick. The technique has to change quite a bit to get similar results between the two though..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Hurting where? On the skin where it contacts, or the muscle/tendons controlling the thumb?

For some reason I've found it more comfortable to play with my thumb as opposed to holding a pick. The technique has to change quite a bit to get similar results between the two though..
    on the skin contact area only
    need to build up a nice callus i guess

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    on the skin contact area only
    need to build up a nice callus i guess
    The size of the callus relates directly to the gauge of strings you're regularly playing

User Info Menu

Interesting thread. I play exclusively with my thumb and have never had skin contact pain. I am enduring some shoulder issues and need to switch to playing with a pick to see if that relieves the pain.

Upstrokes on single note lines are somewhat unconcious for me. I use them for chords all the time and for single notes when it happens but I don't plan them just something you do over the years. As Docbop mentioned it is much easier to use the index finger in place of upstrokes which will eventually lead you into playing with the rest of your fingers.

However it works for you to sound good works!

User Info Menu

Just to continue this, has anyone noticed the thread about guitarist Jacques Lesure? He's mainly a thumb player. He was nicknamed Grantgomery because his 2 main influences are Wes and Grant Green.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feldman
    Just to continue this, has anyone noticed the thread about guitarist Jacques Lesure? He's mainly a thumb player. He was nicknamed Grantgomery because his 2 main influences are Wes and Grant Green.
    Thank you for pointing me to that. He sounds good!

Jacques is good but I much prefer jimmy ponder

User Info Menu

Jim Mullen on his all downstroke thumb style technique:

User Info Menu

Can't resist posting some early Jim Mullen thumb playing with Brian Auger Oblivion Express. Get ready for the hair:

Can't resist posting some early Jim Mullen thumb playing with Brian Auger Oblivion Express. Get ready for the hair:

Love the fact that people used to dance to this style

User Info Menu

Haha... vids great... I use to play filmore and the other halls. I had chance to meet Brian at I think it was Winterland, didn't remember Jim... but that was a fun, peace lovin and wild ride.

Here's a vid of octaves from a tune I wrote a few years ago, posted on forum back in 2011. Funny how much better i think my octave playing is now... I use up and down strokes all the time now for effect, to help create high point both rhythmically and harmonically. I started as a thumb and 1st finger plucker, still do with finger style comping and solo work.

User Info Menu

holy sh1t batman ....the only thing I can recognise is in fact the thumb !

User Info Menu

@Reg, nice tune.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That video always amazes me. His ideas come out so musical and soulful. What a great player. Thanks for that post.

User Info Menu

That video always amazes me. His ideas come out so musical and soulful. What a great player. Thanks for that post.
    Every time I get stuck for ideas over RC I watch this video.