The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 89

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Not calling you out, but why don't let us hear it and see it? I mean, if you feel like it and think you've found something to learn on the forum, maybe it's time to give something back? Seeing the way someone does it may be of help to many, in overcoming technical obstacles.

Im teaching some lessons in a minute but if I get a minute I will record it.

It's not going to help much as it really takes a little of everything (alternate, economy, sweeping, praying, etc) to play that head. Like I said, playing a head fast is not the same as improvising. At that speed what I would play would be very different from what I would play at sane tempos. At that speed you have to play guitar'y lines.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Im teaching some lessons in a minute but if I get a minute I will record it.

It's not going to help much as it really takes a little of everything (alternate, economy, sweeping, praying, etc) to play that head. Like I said, playing a head fast is not the same as improvising. At that speed what I would play would be very different from what I would play at sane tempos. .
    I think hands on approach, extracting devices from application, could prove much more effective than learning devices to be applied later.
    Also, at least sometimes, I think, improvising can be much easier at some tempo than memorizing and playing note for note some odd 32 bars of music.

No not me. I can not memorize 32 bars of music, as well as I can not play at those tempos, except burnt in pentatonic r'n'r and blues licks, if that.

At that speed you have to play guitar'y lines.
    This I don't understand? If I wanted to play non guitary lines, I would play not guitar.
    Sax players playe what they do because it's easy to do so on their instrument, from the keys that are easy to play from on those same instruments ...., why would guitar players be different and do it the hard way? If sometimes I have to play stupid extensions from stupid key, only to fit sax player, just because he can not do any better, well, then ...

User Info Menu

if you transcribe solos of different instruments that is a good idea to pracise them on guitar in similar tempos. these lines become guitar lines or jazz lines on guitar. it is easy but it take time...after few years of practising you will play faster and faster.

User Info Menu

it's usefull for bass, too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    I think hands on approach, extracting devices from application, could prove much more effective than learning devices to be applied later.
    Also, at least sometimes, I think, improvising can be much easier at some tempo than memorizing and playing note for note some odd 32 bars of music.

No not me. I can not memorize 32 bars of music, as well as I can not play at those tempos, except burnt in pentatonic r'n'r and blues licks, if that.

This I don't understand? If I wanted to play non guitary lines, I would play not guitar.
    Sax players playe what they do because it's easy to do so on their instrument, from the keys that are easy to play from on those same instruments ...., why would guitar players be different and do it the hard way? If sometimes I have to play stupid extensions from stupid key, only to fit sax player, just because he can not do any better, well, then ...

Hey I recorded a video of me playing it, I don't have a video account but I will pm you. Hit me back with your email and I will send it to you. Today is my Bday so I am going to enjoy the rest of the day (speaking of which they should really allow you to just upload a video right to the site, but maybe that is harder/more expensive that I think), if you want to post it etc, feel free. As far as what you can get out of it, the picking hand is pretty visible, you can see in this, like many bebop heads, you really need to do everything in order to pull it off. It was actually nice to "dust it off" (have not practiced it in a bit), and I never intended the fingering used to be at that speed. It may be worth me looking at the fingerings on a couple parts..... but really, it would be fine as is to double a sax with, and if I was covering the melody, I would make sure not to call it at a million bpm.

As to your second point, I agree with you. However, you hear many people talk about what is or isn't jazz. To them, if your not playing parker licks, it's not jazz. I am exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea. Like you said it is much more idiomatic to play some things on sax, and some things fit better on guitar. At high tempos, its better to play guitar well than sax badly. At sane tempo's I do try to play more horn like lines however (as that is the foundation of jazz, at least what I like).

I don't even want to think about playing it on the bass........

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, Bird's recording of Donna Lee is only about 230 bpm.

User Info Menu

Hey I recorded a video of me playing it, I don't have a video account but I will pm you. Hit me back with your email and I will send it to you.
    Vintage, I replied to PM before I read this, but again, whatever suits you better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Thats usually the area I played it at, maybe 240. Faster than that, you say a little prayer before you play it....
    Last edited by vintagelove; 05-10-2015 at 05:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    sure, but I picked that as a benchmark. Its a tricky enough at 230 (about my limit given my technique/lack of it) but I've heard fast guitar players that can do it cleanly at higher tempi. Vintagelove can do it at 280. I can't imagine any practice/technique regimen that would ever get me even halfway to that, and I'm experimented extensively with all the picking approaches I've ever heard of. At 250 I'm missing half the notes, even when I slur/hammer on/off.

Maybe I'm just copping out by blaming my physiology, but it's hard to get reliable data from an internet forum as people tend to exaggerate, and I only know about 10 other serious or semi-serious jazz guitarists in "real life", so I have no idea if I'm just at the lower end of the bell curve or whether I'm actually fast compared to your average jazz guitarist wannabe. If there were some way to accurately measure how fast forum members can play DL (and most jazz guitar players learn this early on since it has strong pedagogical value) and get some statistics, I would find it useful/interesting. I don't think it is possible, though.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say perfect at 280, perhaps if I practiced it for a week. But what's the point,. There are much more useful things to practice., for me anyway

User Info Menu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=16&v=hO4EsptrMwE

Martin Miller
    Upsetting really !
    Last edited by pingu; 05-10-2015 at 09:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu

I may steal the fingerings at the end, very well thought out. Thanks for posting!!!

User Info Menu

WAY to lay it down Vladan !!!!

User Info Menu

check this out. pretty astonishing.

User Info Menu

Shit. He keeps getting better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Shit. He keeps getting better.
    yeah, that was at 13 yrs old.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

yeah, that's ridiculous.

it just goes to show that there can be jazz prodigies as well as classical. we don't see very many though.

User Info Menu

It's not that hard to develop speed; maintaining it is the killer. As you get older, it takes more and more practice to stay on top of it (particularly if you're not pursuing a musical career and can't spend 7+ hours a day practicing).

Just make sure that you have stuff to play that demands those kinds of chops, or you're wasting your time.

User Info Menu

Speed will take longer develop as one part of the sum of the entire construction.

User Info Menu

Think everyone's different. I'm a fairly agile player but I'd trade my technique for more musicianship. Any day.

I think speed is a bad goal. One should aim for the absence of tension, a natural and flexible technique. Speed comes naturally in these cases.

User Info Menu

How about this guy at the beginning of his video (the 1st one with the orange wall behind him).

http://www.amazon.com/Damon-Ferrante...ont_pop_book_1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arpeggio
    How about this guy at the beginning of his video (the 1st one with the orange wall behind him).

http://www.amazon.com/Damon-Ferrante...ont_pop_book_1
    Ha! ha!

He looked like he was having some sort of guitar seizure! I was trying to see if he was relaxed or tensed up. He seemed pretty tensed up to me but there is not denying he was super fast with what he was playing.

User Info Menu

Nope, still striving to play faster. But... I am also striving to hear faster and chunk more into my aural memory, especially for those double time licks. There's many paths to that goal of speed. Of course, technique is there. But the ear must be riding in the driver's seat, IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Ha! ha!

He looked like he was having some sort of guitar seizure! I was trying to see if he was relaxed or tensed up. He seemed pretty tensed up to me but there is not denying he was super fast with what he was playing.
    Don't know if I'm allowed to say this here, but, my mate says he thought it sounded like a long wet fart inside a glass conservatory.