The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64

User Info Menu

Yeah the Dave Barton clip is more bebop. I wonder what his speed ceiling is. That's a very relaxed tempo.

It seems like it must be possible. I mean Paco can play as fast as McLaughlin and Di Meola on those guitar trio records, and he "picks" every note. I just haven't heard anyone do it, so it's hard to respond to any poster that asks about it, "Do it like this."

Even Martin Taylor, who is probably the premier finger-style bebop player right now, switches to his pick when he wants to solo.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    I just haven't heard anyone do it, so it's hard to respond to any poster that asks about it, "Do it like this.
    Right, mine is just speculation!

User Info Menu

Okay, so there's no consensus. And that's no surprise.

I appreciate the discussion. It's clear that some guys have great speed with their fingertips, more speed than I would even want since my brain could not keep up. And neither could 99% of the audience. But there is that other 1%!

User Info Menu

The Dave Barton clip was great - thanks for posting it

User Info Menu

I haven't chimed in yet.... Back when I was starting to play in the mid-70s, we were all doing folkie fingerpickint with steel fingerpicks. On steel-string acoustics.
    I realized later that the main reason all my buds were playing that way was for the volume.... A lot of house sound systems with one mic.... And you held the guitar up to the mic for those hot licks....

Anyway, I started reading Guitar Player cover-to-cover and even the classical guitar column. The guy spent a whole lot of time on "embrochure" and also nail care. He was of the opinion that a combination of flesh and nail was ideal... Just enough nail to produce a clear tone. Properly shaped and beveled much as the above illustrations show.
    That's what I do now, having started to work more seriously on fingerstyle jazz. My right-hand nails are hardly longer than my lefts, but I get a nice clear tone on both nylon-string and flatwound electric.

However.... It is hell when I break one which just happened a few days ago changing a tire.... Most annoying. No noise at all from my ring finger.....
    If I keep them at optimal length, I get very little breakage.... It's only when I let 'em get a little too long.

User Info Menu

I think to also mention Gustavo Assis-Brasil. He is an amazing guitarist who used a nicely developed method of hybrid picking. He has written several methods....

GUSTAVO ASSIS-BRASIL

Videos » Gustavo Assis-Brasil »

His books outline exercises for developing skill in adding fingers to the pick. You could however apply the exercises to thumpick and fingers.( part of my practice routine.)

User Info Menu

That's a great reference, and he's an excellent player.

I'm very tempted to buy his course on hybrid picking. But I made a pledge to myself to finish all of the other books and courses I already have. And there's a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lumena
    I think to also mention Gustavo Assis-Brasil. He is an amazing guitarist who used a nicely developed method of hybrid picking. He has written several methods....

GUSTAVO ASSIS-BRASIL

Videos » Gustavo Assis-Brasil »

His books outline exercises for developing skill in adding fingers to the pick. You could however apply the exercises to thumpick and fingers.( part of my practice routine.)

User Info Menu

How about this young man? Very personal.

User Info Menu

Nelson Veras...
    Sweet voice... wonderful stuff. I checked out the Facebook stuff. I am going to watch all these.
    Thanks a lot.

User Info Menu

So really, whatever works for you....try out some different methods, stick with what feels most natural....

User Info Menu

The thing that enables me to make single note runs fingerstyle was learning electric bass. All the sudden it was no problem. I guess playing bass is like working out with weights. When you go back to unweighted(guitar) it feels like nothin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    The thing that enables me to make single note runs fingerstyle was learning electric bass. All the sudden it was no problem. I guess playing bass is like working out with weights. When you go back to unweighted(guitar) it feels like nothin.
    I've been playing electric bass exclusively for the last two months and working through James Jamerson transcriptions. I haven't touched my guitar. I hope you're right.
    Last edited by danwaineo; 02-09-2015 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

There is a ton of great content in this thread!
    I made a close up video of my right hand a few years ago that might give some insight into my approach. maybe some will find it useful.

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

I'm self taught, always used a pick, and discovered decades later I have always used "economy picking".

I don't know if it's just me, but now days I find economy picking without a pick (using only my thumb) feels very natural. I'm not moving my arm or hand, just moving the thumb for up and down strokes, which I don't see much about in picking discussions...

I get the sense that at least 90% of the mechanics and feel of economy picking with a pick transfers to doing it just with the thumb, as does about 90% of the speed.

Sounds really nice; I like the more subtle articulation.

User Info Menu

Here is another one maybe more toward fast bebop approach.

i dont usually play this fast but someone asked me if it was possible so i tried .
    Tim

User Info Menu

In regards to Pauln's post... Years ago, I got a recording and accompanying book from French guitarist Marcel Dadi. He too used the thumb for single-note lines, playing alternate-picking with the thumb held in "flatpick" position.
    Seemed to work for him... May have been a peculiarity of his thumbs....

User Info Menu

I play fingerstyle on flattops and gave up on fingernail maintenance when I started using Fred Kelly "Freedom" fingerpicks. They are (to me) the most natural feeling fingerpicks that you can shape, change the effective length of the "nail" by sliding them up and down your finger, and they are waaaaaaaaay faster than natural nails or any other fingerpick. They make rolls and fast single lines really easy to execute...well...easier to execute, anyway.

How to do line runs fingerstyle??-dsc04352copy-300x300-jpg

Also, the finger pad is exposed allowing you to play artificial harmonics and tapping as if you weren't using fingerpicks at all.
    Last edited by FatPick; 02-13-2015 at 11:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is another vid showing my approach, no nails (short nail on the thumb but i don't use it for lines) no particular pattern (i practice many combinations and hope that the music will decide whats best).

enjoy and let me know if the vid is helpful.
    all the best
    Tim
    Last edited by TLerch; 05-27-2015 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Tim,

First things first. I love the strap lock. I use them myself.

Thanks for the very helpful video. Please let us know when your Masterclass video is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Here is another vid showing my approach, no nails (short nail on the thumb but i don't use it for lines) no particular pattern (i practice many combinations and hope that the music will decide whats best).

enjoy and let me know if the vid is helpful.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Explore these options like T I T I, T M T M, I M I M, T I T M, T M I T M I and T I M T I M. It will help you.

User Info Menu

Two other people to watch for technique in this area are Jerry Donahue (with thumb pick) and Marc Knopfler (without). I've seen Jerry also use the thumb-pick as a plectrum when he wants to dig-in, and it works to great effect. Listen to Jerry on a number like Tokyo
    ) - incredibly clean for thumb pick and fingers

In the folk world, Martin Carthy's claw-hammer style produced remarkable results; listen to him playing with Dave Swarbrick note for note on jigs and reels on their early recordings

John Williams in can be heard doing some interesting things in his Sky period with (I think) a Gibson L5-S, using a purely classical technique

Personally I use a pick 95% of the time but now and then I like to apply the Donahue or Knopfler approach - I take care of my nails because I also play quite a bit of traditional folk in alternative tunings. Nailsa areno too long, so sound is not harsh .

User Info Menu

Interesting in this whole thread, nobody has mentioned Joe Pass, who could play stunning bop lines fingerstyle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Interesting in this whole thread, nobody has mentioned Joe Pass, who could play stunning bop lines fingerstyle.
    Joe was mostly finger style player, but when he wanted to really burn especially in terms of lines and bebop, he always picked up the pick . Usually a very small teardrop pick that he cut in half

User Info Menu

As to burning single note lines played fingerstyle , google the French musician Sylvain Courtney .

User Info Menu

@Lawson - isn't most of JPs speed achieved principally by gliss and hammer on/off? Not sure, just asking... I'll dig out my videos when I get home from work and have a look.