The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and from my initial browsing, I expect to learn a lot here.

I play both classical and jazz guitar fingerstyle, using my nylon string (nonelectric) and my Stratocaster. The steel strings are really rough on my nails, which even on the classical guitar are very prone to splitting or flaking. I tried a bunch of fingerpicks, but none feel comfortable and secure enough to play with. I also tried some of the "Hard as Nails" nail polish that my wife and daughters suggested, but that didn't help much. Do any of you have suggestions for maintaining reasonable nails for steel-string playing?

Thanks for any suggestions

George

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey George
    I use nails on my telecaster. I use flat wound strings instead of normal round wound strings. They sound really good, to me anyway, and are very soft on the nails. They kind of feel like a round wound string that is coated with nylon if that makes any sense.

I use D'Addario Chromes, so maybe try out a pack and see what you think.

MW

Thanks, I may try that. Right now I'm using D'Addario XLs (Nickel .011's), which sound pretty good to me, but next pack, I'm open to experimenting. Might cut down on some of the string noise in changing positions as well...

George

User Info Menu

Yeah I find my flat wounds are much quieter than the rounds I used to use. And D'Addario makes a .11 flat wound, some other makers only make .12 and higher, so it shouldn't be much of an adjustment if you decide to try them.

Let me know how the experiment goes!
    MW

User Info Menu

Many top players use acrylics ... and they get them put on at the nail salon.

User Info Menu

Hi Amigos

Nails can be a bit of a problem if you have weak ones. Over the years I have played a lot of Flamenco on nylon strung guitars. Although rasqueos are fairly punishing, in jazz there should not be a problem even on steel strings.
    Because of my various genres of playing style I keep my RIGHT hand nails fairly short, a MAX 0f 2 1/2 mm beyond the fingerer tip. This means there is less leverage on the nail and also a much better tone is produced from nylon and steel strung guitars. Hope this helps.

The old flamencos used animal glue and brown paper to reinforce the nails. There is a product available called 'Mavala' if you have really weak nails. If your nails are reasonably strong then just keep them short and rub in a spot of virgin olive oil before playing. Juan Martine does this!

User Info Menu

I apologize for noticing this thread late in the game, but I have used various nail hardeners/polishes etc. and had little luck with them.

I do have a good recommendation though. Polymethylmethacrylate is the acrylic used by dentists to make temporary crowns, and it is also used by nail stylists to fill in acrylic nail gaps. This material will actually bond to the nails if applied correctly.

The technique is as follows:

1. wash the fingernails to remove any oil/debris
    2. paint on a coat of the monomer (liquid)
    3. paint on a mixture of the powder/monomer to desired thickness

The material can be purchased in various shades, but for men clear is the manly choice. All that is left to do is file it down to the desired smoothness, and the nails will be thicker and only people who look really closely will notice that.

**There is definitely no reason to get fake nail tips put on, as this material is used as the bonding agent to hold nail tips in place and it is very durable. The trick is to only put it on as thick as you need it --- about a 0.5 - 1mm thickness.

*** The stuff takes about 3 - 5 minutes to set, and stinks REALLY bad; so you may want to use it outside. I would also recommend practicing with it on something else first. It's really easy, but for those who have never used the material it can be technique sensitive.
    Last edited by gravyTrain; 06-03-2008 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

but for men clear is the manly choice.
    Now there's a bold statement! I thought jazz was all about improvising and taking risks, not being stuck with stereotypes. I would suggest that clear is possibly the wimp's choice.

User Info Menu

Have been getting the nails on my right hand done for over a year now. I don't have fake nails put on, but the acrylic resin to provide a thicker nail much like Gravy described.

This, after years of struggling with chipped and broken nails. I will never go back, best thing I have done besides practice. Some guys are fine with the flesh sound, but I prefer the attack I get with the nails.

The fun part is walking into one of these places to get a fill done. I am 6'6" and 250lbs. You should see the looks I get. It costs me about $12 every 2-3 weeks.

User Info Menu

what colour are yours, derek?

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried this product? "Flexinail"--- The internet ad makes it sound like it might work pretty well for the fingernails on the right hand for fingerstyle playing. The URL for info on Flexinail is below.

http://flexinail.com/zen/
    wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 06-04-2008 at 03:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicalbodger
    what colour are yours, derek?
    Au natural baby!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Au natural baby!
    oh, I'm disappointed in you derek!

seriously, I formed a band with a vocalist/frontman a few years back who was about your size and as hetero as they come, he just enjoyed wearing women's clothes, extreme coloured nail varnish on fingers and toes and piles of glitter everywhere. Never wore make up which made the whole effect totally bizarre, but I never saw anyone challenge him on it, they all realised it wouldn't be a safe thing to do.

User Info Menu

Sorry, back on topic.

If you're having problems with your nails, check your diet. Don't eat fast foods, eat as many organic, fresh foods as you can. Treat your body with respect. If you feed it highly processed foods it will suffer and weak finger nails are a sure sign your body is not in peak condition (I don't mean be a total fitness freak - just eat properly)

I agree with you Matt, D'Addario Chromes are excellent strings. I use .11s, have done for 10 years and although they appear expensive, they last and the tone stays good for a long time. And, yes, they will get rid of a lot of the noise when moving positions. They're a real pleasure to play.

As for using Polymethylmethacrylate, doesn't the smell tell you something about what it is doing to your system? Are you aware that these highly volatile chemicals can dissolve the fats in your body, including those of the brain. Tuolene is a good example, it used to be in (possibly still is) many of the polishes I used to use. It is highly aromatic and volatile. Suddenly someone discovered that if you used it regularly it rotted the structure of the brain. Worth thinking about if you're young. Interesting how there is so much dementia now in developed countries, coincides neatly with the expansion of the chemical industries since the 1950s.

Happy picking.

User Info Menu

Hi Musicalbodger
    Although I'm sure your not. Just enjoy self flagellation, don't you.

Anyway, thanks for the laugh at Derek's expense.

I appreciate enormously your comments on toulene, being a cabinet maker/designer I have been exposed to quite a lot of Toulene over the years.
    This explains why my wife thinks I'm a little odd in my thinking. Voila! I thought I was just born that way, but all has ben revealed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hanlon
    Happy to oblige, all part of the service here.

User Info Menu

Glad we're keeping you happy, O'Hanlon . Pass the birch twigs over when you've done with them.

I guessed Derek would pick it up. That said, there's never any malice in my humour, I just love surreal situations, or situations which appear surreal to me.

Hi Musicalbodger
    Although I'm sure your not
    Not what? And if I am should it matter?

I've worked with wood (joiner, furniture maker, restorer, turner, sculptor) for 35 years and now stay clear of anything non-organic if I can. Linseed oil and homemade wax polish are really all you need. All the facts are there if you do a bit of research. Anyone interested, and I know this is way off topic but it's relevant to us all, read a book called The Vitamin Murders: Who Killed Healthy Eating in Britain? by James Fergusson. It's relevant to the whole developed world.

Ow!! Bugger, I've just fallen off my soap box.

User Info Menu

Ditto mi amigo

Have also worked with wood professionally for over 35 years. Great medium, but no so good on the body, although over recent years the safety precautions have improved dramatically.
    If your working just for yourself I agree natural is best. Problem is in the modern world, commercially, the majority of people expect beautiful or bullet proof surfaces which does not make for healthy working!

Enough said, back to Jazz etc.

User Info Menu

Enough said, back to Jazz etc.
    I've been saying that for 35 years too!

User Info Menu

I am having a problem with my fingernails (probably related to my age). They always seem to crack and break easily which makes fingerpicking chord melody style difficult for me. I found an internet site that sells a product called "Flexinail" that looks like it might help with my fingernail problem. Have any of you fingerpicking chord melody guys ever tried Flexinail?

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-06-2009 at 07:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Any suggestions to help my fingnail problem would be sincerely appreciated. My favorite playing style has always been fingerpicking but for last couple of years, I have found it necessary to play mostly with a pick.

wiz

User Info Menu

I have acrylic nails. Go to the nearest beauty shop and have them put acrylics on. I play Hybrid style, so, I use a flatpick with middle and ring finger. I have been using the plastic nails for about 2 year now and I love them. Costs me about 9 dollars once a month to have the two fingers redone. A lot of players are going that way.

Good luck,
    Bill

User Info Menu

Acrylics have a great sound but are a total pain to deal with imo. It is a tradeoff.

User Info Menu

I've been maintaining classical nails for over twenty years. I think that diet, no shit, is really important. Also, I keep P-I-M-A short, just enough...

sailor

User Info Menu

I'll second that, try keeping them short. My nails are strong so cracking isn't an issue, but I keep them short as I believe I get my best tone that way. Nail and flesh in preparation, string slides across 1st third of the nail with an angled finger attack. For me longer nails (or a parallel attack) creates a less round, brittle, clicky sound that I don't like.

With my palm towards my face and looking across the fingertips I like to see only about 1/16th of an inch of fingernail.