The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

I don't know if there is a name for it, but I know Metheny does it, and in a interview I saw recently saw one of my favorite player does it now and then so I've been experimenting with it. I wondered if anyone else here does it or experiments with it?

I find the note definition is good, but it does slow me down. At my age I'm not going to be switching, but find it could be useful for warming up and doing some exercises in kind of a "weighted bat" type mindset.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Let me be clear about this: is one of the fingers the thumb? Or do you mean using three fingers AND the thumb to hold a pick?

Got a pic of the 3-fingered pick grip?

I believe Monk has an old book in which a player (-George Barnes?) used two fingers and his thumb to hold the pick. I'm not sure why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Let me be clear about this: is one of the fingers the thumb? Or do you mean using three fingers AND the thumb to hold a pick?

Got a pic of the 3-fingered pick grip?

I believe Monk has an old book in which a player (-George Barnes?) used two fingers and his thumb to hold the pick. I'm not sure why.
    Two fingers and thumb and the point of pick is more outward like at end of the finger tips. I know Metheny uses a pretty drastic form of this type of picking. Just curious if others had experimented with this pick grip.

User Info Menu

It's a clusterf@ck.

Metheny has stated that it"s too late to go back and fix it. Heed his words and don't make the same mistake.

some people will emulate every quirky dumb thing that their idol does/did.

User Info Menu

Here's an article on the 3 finger grip that mentions Steve Morse as one who uses it.

TrueGuitar.com Three Finger Picking Grip

From the short article (-which includes some pictures, though not of Steve Morse):

>>>>>>>Benefits:

• Increased accuracy
    • Better grip on the pick, better control
    • More solid tone
    • Stronger attack on the strings
    • Artificial harmonics with right hand index finger are a lot easier to execute
    • Easier string crossing, picking string to string
    • I have personally found a picking speed increase using this method. Some people do however believe that this method is slower.<<<<<<<

(I'm not recommending this grip. Just a curious fellow.)

User Info Menu

Here's an article on the 3 finger grip that mentions Steve Morse as one who uses it.

TrueGuitar.com Three Finger Picking Grip

From the short article (-which includes some pictures, though not of Steve Morse):

>>>>>>>Benefits:

• Increased accuracy
    • Better grip on the pick, better control
    • More solid tone
    • Stronger attack on the strings
    • Artificial harmonics with right hand index finger are a lot easier to execute
    • Easier string crossing, picking string to string
    • I have personally found a picking speed increase using this method. Some people do however believe that this method is slower.<<<<<<<

(I'm not recommending this grip. Just a curious fellow.)
    Was just practicing some more and a draw back for me is switching between rhythm and single note. Like Morse mentions is hybrid picking, I do a lot of it so for me is requiring shifting fingers and rotating the pick. Strumming is awkward too. Single line I'm finding pick angle is more critical to maintain. So looking like my original view of using it for a practice exercise will be of use for awhile. Thanks for the article.

User Info Menu

I played this way for years. It took me about a week to adjust to playing with thumb and 1st finger only.

I used to play with the thumb on my fretting hand on top of the neck. Took me about a week to get used to placing my thumb in back. Now I place my thumb where it feels comfortable or where it is required to play what I want to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    I played this way for years. It took me about a week to adjust to playing with thumb and 1st finger only.

I used to play with the thumb on my fretting hand on top of the neck. Took me about a week to get used to placing my thumb in back. Now I place my thumb where it feels comfortable or where it is required to play what I want to play.

wow. you adapt pretty quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Was just practicing some more and a draw back for me is switching between rhythm and single note. Like Morse mentions is hybrid picking, I do a lot of it so for me is requiring shifting fingers and rotating the pick. Strumming is awkward too. Single line I'm finding pick angle is more critical to maintain. So looking like my original view of using it for a practice exercise will be of use for awhile. Thanks for the article.
    Funny you should mention rhythm: James Hetfield of Metallica, who plays rhythm but not lead, is reportedly a 3-finger player. It may give him a stronger attack. (He uses mostly downstrokes for that reason.) But then, he's not switching back from that to lead.

I think anything you learn to do with a pick you can switch from. It's not like people who learn to hybrid pick forget how to strum, or can't use a pick in the conventional way for single lines. And so on. ;o)

User Info Menu

Steve Morse was already mentioned, here's a video where he says he's now trying to incorporate a more traditional pick grip into his playing. I guess it's never too late.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gingataff
    Steve Morse was already mentioned, here's a video where he says he's now trying to incorporate a more traditional pick grip into his playing. I guess it's never too late.
    Thanks for that.

I think learning never ends. (Well, we may stop learning but we never run out of useful things to learn, and I mean about playing guitar.)

User Info Menu

I think anything you learn to do with a pick you can switch from. It's not like people who learn to hybrid pick forget how to strum, or can't use a pick in the conventional way for single lines. And so on. ;o)
    It's about time management and when you get to be my age it's something I think about. Is this worth the time investment to commit to for me no. I have other things more valuable to assign my time to. I gave it time to investigate, found it a interesting and will use it as a practice tool for a bit to see long term results. I went thru the same thing with Benson picking tried it for awhile, pulled out of it what was useful for me and moved on.

In another thread I said I'm one of those who can't memorize lines. I still work transcribed lines but since I know I'm not got to memorize it I focus on what can I learn from this line what do I like, what don't I like (equally important) and then work with that info to find things. I approach technique in a similar manner investigate things, decide if worth the time to change and if not then what can I learn from it. I don't feel I need to clone someone or something to benefit from them or it.

User Info Menu

I changed from playing with 2 fingers to 3 fingers, I find the tone fatter.
    Also I have better string skipping and better control overall.
    It slows me down a bit though, but using my pinky as a "post", it helps speed up a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by disco~juice
    I changed from playing with 2 fingers to 3 fingers, I find the tone fatter.
    Also I have better string skipping and better control overall.
    It slows me down a bit though, but using my pinky as a "post", it helps speed up a bit.
    That's pretty much what I'm finding. A bit slower, but solid note because the pick is now being held in firmer grip. String skipping adjacent strings works good, but I'm have some difficulty with skipping multiple strings.

User Info Menu

I've always used it, not that I'd advocate for it, but when I originally started playing the pick often would rotate slightly in position so the extra finger gave me better control/feel and a lighter strum for rhythm. I don't anchor my little finger and there's no issue transitioning to rhythm. The 3 finger gives good tip control but detracts from tremolo playing and although I don't often hybrid pick I find it very difficult 3 finger while 2 finger is doable. I didn't start out playing jazz and was self taught for too long so I've never changed as it felt most natural to me. I can play with 2 finger ( thumb pad and forefinger side ) technique but am way too heavy on strumming with this so I've never fully changed. It's all very idiosyncratic. I tend to hold it similar to the link picture above but the pick is more distal on my thumb. I think Metheny is more on the top of the pick coming into it with his fingertips with some arch at the wrist. One thing for sure is the more I think about it, the worse I play!

User Info Menu

I have held the pick with thumb and 2 fingers for years. Partly because it feels more stable, and partly because I was trying to get a fatter 'Kenny Burrell' kind of tone. I decided that by holding the pick so it was slightly angled to the strings, it would sound better.

It has evolved so now I mainly hold it between thumb and middle finger, while the index finger just sort of stabilises it without really gripping.

A bit weird really, but I'm used to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    A bit weird really, but I'm used to it.
    If you're getting the sound you want and comfortable then its good. The end result is all that matters.

User Info Menu

I use the Benson grip---or something close---which requires putting the pick between the pad of the index finger and the upper right tip of the thumb. (There are variations but that's the general idea.)

Conventionally, the second finger is not part of the grip but I notice that I often rest the lower edge of the pick against the worn spot on my second finger where a pen or pencil would be gripped.

I've found that this tends to even out my pick stroke and makes me more accurate.

(I'm not sure if this makes my grip more stable or just makes my wrist move straight up and down rather than rotating away and back from the strings)

User Info Menu

Yea... I'll always used the thumb and two fingers, how else can you control angle and back pressure from strings independently with out moving wrist, first finger or thumb. Also gives more mass on the pick which gives more choices for tone. More or less pressure, becomes natural with time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea... I've always used the thumb and two fingers.... .
    Reg, I had no idea. I've seen some of your videos and I never noticed that!

User Info Menu

This as been my default way of playing for years. It's the best way that i could ever manage to alternate between chords and single lines.

It as a beautiful and firm punchy sound, and string skipping is very very easy. The only disadvantage ( for me!) is speed. I cant seem to ever past a certain plateau. I play with the pick backwards.

Kurt Rosenwinkel also play's like this.

User Info Menu

Of course, if you're hip to all the different plectrums, they do make some that require you to use all 5 fingers...

User Info Menu

I saw a video of Jesse Van Ruller recently that zoomed in on his pick hand and he was clearly using 3 fingers. Now I can't find it and I'm starting to doubt my memory. If someone else finds it please post it.
    Jesse is a a guy who can fly around and cross strings with ease.

User Info Menu

Ok here it is…I don't know what's going on here at around 3.48……how in the world is he holding the plectrum?
    Not sure if it's 3 fingers or what……..but he sure makes it work..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Of course, if you're hip to all the different plectrums, they do make some that require you to use all 5 fingers...
    I think you put down your D'Andrea and picked up a Dorito! ;o)