The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 102

User Info Menu

Barnes uses a very horn like approach with subtle vibrato here on held notes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

John Abercrombie had a beautiful vibrato. Miss him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    John Abercrombie had a beautiful vibrato. Miss him.

He did some fantastic trio albums.

User Info Menu

This topic reminded me that when doing a very slight stretch when the tone starts to die, it gets a bit of energy back (tonewise) and lasts a bit longer.
    Since the frequency tends to drop anyway, this doesn't seem like a crime to me.
    Well, one less reason to use some silly electronics sometimes.

Not bend but just stretch it along the strings direction.

User Info Menu

No vibrato in jazz? Sidney would beg to differ.

User Info Menu

Was listening to Grant Green again last night (Born to be Blue)...lots of subtle vibrato...almost every held note. Vibrato doesn't have to be that over-sized nonsense, or the Angus Young "bee sting." Just like every singer doesn't have to be Celine Dion.

User Info Menu

Vibrato was the only physical technique I was able to apply to guitar from my 5 or so years playing the violin in Grade and Jr. High School.

User Info Menu

I use quite a bit of vib watching my vids. Especially on acoustic.

Django obv used it loads

Flatwound strings dampen the effect so it sounds a bit less wide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    No vibrato in jazz? Sidney would beg to differ.

funny thing....bechet's vibrato used to annoy the heck outta me....ditto for benny goodman's....

nowadays i think it's fab.

taboo schmaboo....if i wanted to be all By The Rules i'd join Der Fuehrer's Ve Must Have Uniformity Marching Band Inc, A Division Of Haliburton Precision Ultra-Rigid Engineering Ltd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think it’s something I’ve never been able to do

maybe that’s why I ended up in jazz hehe
    Same here, but I still play rock

User Info Menu

I don't understand why vibrato is so underused in jazz guitar either. It might have caught on around the time B.B. King came around, but it didn't. I guess most jazz guitarists except people like Kenny Burrell looked down on pure blues players at the time (B.B. King was a genius nonetheless). It all depends how it's done and used, but vibrato can only be a plus IMO. Maybe it's still largely absent and frowned upon because people are too lazy (one more hard thing to work on), or bound by so-called conventions, which oddly are supposed to apply to the guitar, but not the trumpet, the saxophone, the bass... But lo and behold, one of today's best players, Julian Lage uses vibrato. Horror of horrors, Lage even plays jazz guitar without an amplifier... the nerve of this guy!

User Info Menu

Well, Jim Hall absolutely loved BB King (said he'd rather listen to him than a lot of jazz guitarists), and yet I'd say he's one of the most influential in developing the even, vibrato-free modern jazz guitar sound... I think he just liked to play like that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    I don't understand why vibrato is so underused in jazz guitar either. It might have caught on around the time B.B. King came around, but it didn't. I guess most jazz guitarists except people like Kenny Burrell looked down on pure blues players at the time (B.B. King was a genius nonetheless). It all depends how it's done and used, but vibrato can only be a plus IMO. Maybe it's still largely absent and frowned upon because people are too lazy (one more hard thing to work on), or bound by so-called conventions, which oddly are supposed to apply to the guitar, but not the trumpet, the saxophone, the bass... But lo and behold, one of today's best players, Julian Lage uses vibrato. Horror of horrors, Lage even plays jazz guitar without an amplifier... the nerve of this guy!
    I think much of it is the tempos at which much of jazz is played. When you're churning out hemidemisemiquavers at warp speed, there is just no time for vibrato. On the other hand, a nice ballad with half notes or even whole notes seems barren without the caressing touch of a nice, slow wiggle. With the right technique, it also enhances sustain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fortune
    What does everyone think about not using one's thumb while doing vibrato? In the video below, BB King seems to not anchor at all with his thumb.

What about electric blues guitar “BBB” (Before B.B.), didn’t B.B. invent the modern wrist vibrato for blues guitar? Did T. Bone Walker, who seemed to favor jazz boxes for his blues playing, use vibrato? I don’t think so. And Walker’s jazzy blues was very expressive.

Also, B.B. said in that video that he rarely applied vibrato to a bent string, if ever. Applying vibrato to a bent string seems to be de rigeur for a blues-rock guitarist since 1966 (the year of John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers album with Eric Clapton).

The highest I can bend a string and still apply a B.B. King-like vibrato is a semitone, which kind of leaves me “out in the cold” as far as blues guitar goes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Clapton's big vibrato while releasing a bend is such a classic weeping sound

La guitarra de Clapton en Guitar While My Guitar Gently Weeps (aislada) - YouTube

Couldn't make it start at the right time. Solo at 2:00
    Yeah, that sounds fantastic, I can see why vibrato on a bent string caught on so well with players. The only way I can do that, tho, is with a whammy bar.

I lose control of the note if I try to do that with my hand.

User Info Menu

I think vibrato in jazz guitar is superb, but I wonder if it might feel "off" from time to time because many guitar players tend to do a sort of compulsive, nervous vibrato? This part of one's technique, I've only ever heard addressed by one teacher I had, a session player. I've seen some great players really flub their phrases because they do that horrible, thoughtless vibrato that should otherwise be relegated to blues jams...
    Deliberate, or slow/timed vibrato as a conscious choice, however..!

User Info Menu

Ending every lick or scale run with a self congratulatory vibrato is a taboo in jazz. Seems to be considered pretty normal in rock guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Ending every lick or scale run with a self congratulatory vibrato is a taboo in jazz. Seems to be considered pretty normal in rock guitar.
    That's funny, cos watch any video and I do exactly that haha.... Maybe that's why I get typecast as GJ player...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    That's funny, cos watch any video and I do exactly that haha.... Maybe that's why I get typecast as GJ player...
    I've never noticed you do that in your videos. I get very annoyed by it normally. May be you do it in a way that makes musical sense.

User Info Menu

If you listen carefully to horn players like Chet Baker and Lee Konitz, they often put a subtle quick vibrato on the end of a note or a phrase, even when playing quite fast. It’s possible to do this on the guitar sometimes, I think it makes a big difference and helps the note ‘sing’. It’s not something that jumps out at you like a rock vibrato however.

If you watch the videos online of Jimmy Raney, you can see him doing it.

I often forget to do it, but it’s definitely worth cultivating.

User Info Menu

This is something that always had my interest. Here I´m bending melodies over altered chords.
    For me bends in jazz is more about prebend/release bend.. I hope it brings a little to the discussion...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen
    This is something that always had my interest. Here I´m bending melodies over altered chords.
    For me bends in jazz is more about prebend/release bend.. I hope it brings a little to the discussion...
    man, everything you play just oozes taste.

User Info Menu

There's another side of this - which is that jazz study has focussed on pitch choices at the expense of tone, taste, time and touch... (Also the modern post war aesthetic favoured minimal vibrato and pitch bends in all styles of music.)

So is it any surprise that jazz guitarists sometimes leave these resources under-utilised?

Hey Uffe, sounding great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Being English , I like to end every lick or scale with self-deprecating vibrato .

User Info Menu

The beauty of jazz lies inside a perfect combination. It all about applying the semitone and tone in a sweet way. thats what i believe. Technique is like extra sauce