The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 122

User Info Menu

I have recently (and somewhat late in life) discovered what has come to be known as the George Benson method of holding a pick (rotated by 90 degrees). I'm like a kid again, my guitar sounds so nice and clear, and my attack has improved a lot, which in turn has improve my phrasing.

Are there any others out there who use this method? Tuck Andress has a nice explanation here: Tuck & Patti: Pick & Fingerstyle Techniques

I apologise if I overlooked an existing thread on this subject.

Simon.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Coincidentaly, I just read something about this on another board. I think it was AAJ. I recall someone had some things to say about the Tuck style regarding hurting their thumb. FYI

User Info Menu

So far, I haven't had any trouble with my thumb (which is not double jointed like GB's), and so I press the tip of my thumb into the back of my index finger--with the pick sandwiched inbetween. It's weird at first, but then totally liberating. I believe Sheryl Bailey uses this method as well.

Simon.

User Info Menu

Man, I just read that Tuck Andress article the other day, but I couldn't make sense of the George Benson technique completely. I've looked at videos to try and get the shape of it, but I don't know if I got it completely. Is there any way to clarify in easier terms (I don't understand the rotating 90 degrees directions), or post an image of some sort?

User Info Menu

Theres a foto somewhere on this site. I'll have to look for it.

User Info Menu

That would be greatly appreciated

User Info Menu

Here's the picture, I wish it was clearer though... a close up on his hand from different angles is what's needed

User Info Menu

I just took some pictures (you know that as good as a 1000 words bit)

The common way to hold a pick:

The Benson way:

Last edited by fep; 02-19-2009 at 09:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Hopefully this helps. I use this method and all it is is to take the pointed part of the pick and aim it back towards your palm instead of the guitar as normally done. The method does work great.

User Info Menu

Terry,

The main point of the way Benson picks is that he bends his thumb back and rotates the plane of the pick 90 degrees. This way the plane of the pick is parallel to the picking motion (not perpendicular as it is in the common way of holding a pick.

It's not about where you aim the pointy part of the pick.

User Info Menu

So is the pick approaching the string from a downwards angle or an upwards angle, or is it still approaching the string straight on? And is the pick pointing forwards or is it angled towards the bridge or the neck? Maybe I'm over complicating this technique but I just want to get it completely correct so I don't end up practicing some half-assed version of it for months

And thanks for the pictures, that helps a lot.
    Last edited by mcohen777; 02-19-2009 at 11:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcohen777
    So is the pick approaching the string from a downwards angle or an upwards angle, or is it still approaching the string straight on? And is the pick pointing forwards or is it angled towards the bridge or the neck? Maybe I'm over complicating this technique but I just want to get it completely correct so I don't end up practicing some half-assed version of it for months

And thanks for the pictures, that helps a lot.
    This is hard to explain. But the movement of the pick is produced by a rotation of the wrist and forearm, you can see this by looking at Benson videos on youtube. That is same motion to what many players use when holding a pick in a standard fasion. So if I understand your question correctly, I believe we would refer that to the pick is 'still approaching the string straight on'.

In that picture I posted, the position of the hand and angle of the pick is similar before and after the attack. In other words, from the picture it would be hard to tell 1) whether I'm about to pick the E string or 2) whether I just picked the B string... both those photos would look pretty similar.

The difference in tone comes from attacking the string from the narrow edge of the pick in the Benson approach vs. attacking from the flat part of the pick with the standard approach.

Regarding your second question. If you hold the pick in a standard manner (my first picture) and then while still holding the pick bend your thumb (hopefully you're double jointed enought) to go from the standard grip to the benson grip. Hopefully doing this will answer your 2nd question.

I hope that helps. It's very easy to show this to someone, but hard to explain with just words.
    Last edited by fep; 02-20-2009 at 12:21 PM.

User Info Menu

It's amazing that there are so few pictures of this out on the web. I looked at a bunch of youtube videos of GB and Sheryl Bailey when I was starting to switch to this method.

For me, it works well to squeeze my thumb into the pad of my index finger (with my thumb nail approximately in the center of the pad), with the pick held in between. I try to keep the pick perpendicular to the top of the guitar (in both planes), and that gives me a very clear attack.

I will try and take some pictures this weekend (although as a novice at this techniqe, I'm probably not the person to follow!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Terry,

The main point of the way Benson picks is that he bends his thumb back and rotates the plane of the pick 90 degrees. This way the plane of the pick is parallel to the picking motion (not perpendicular as it is in the common way of holding a pick.

It's not about where you aim the pointy part of the pick.
    It appears to me from his picture that he's using more the rounded part of his pic as opposed to the pointy part, but ok if you say so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trtjazz
    It appears to me from his picture that he's using more the rounded part of his pic as opposed to the pointy part, but ok if you say so.
    He may be using the rounded part of the pick, from what I've read they haven't discussed that. But a lot of folks do that. What makes Bensons approach unique is the way he bends his thumb back in a double jointed manner which results in him attacking the string from the narrow edge part of the pick.

As an aside it is interesting how this compares to the way a fingernail attacks the string in the 'Pepe Romero' classical guitar approach (a very common approach for classical guitarists, I'm just using Pepe Romero as an example). During the string attack the string first touches the flesh and outside edge of the fingernail, the string then slides along the finger nail a little bit, the attack if finished at about 1/3rd of the way along the fingernail. This gives that nice rounded classical tone as opposed to a more treble clicky tone if you attack the strings perpindicularly. With the Benson approach there is also a tiny moment where the string is sliding along the edge of the pick which also results in a more rounded tone.

Check out the link in the original posters first post on this thread. Tuck Andress gives the best discussion on picking technique that I've ever seen (including Benson's technique).
    Last edited by fep; 02-20-2009 at 12:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice. Is the pick hitting the string from an angle or is the pick level with the string (meaning right above it or right below it) Based off the picture, it seems like the pointy part of the pick comes at the string from an angle, but maybe im viewing it wrong.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it is at an angle, the plane of the pick is not at 90 degrees to the string, the lower edge of the pick is a bit closer to the back of the guitar. Maybe closer to but greater than 45 degrees measured from the bridge side of the hand. This will vary some depending on how double jointed your thumb is.

I'd like to add that my understanding of this comes from 1) the Tuck Andress article linked in the first post of this thread, 2) watching George Benson videos and 3) experimenting with it myself to see how it felt and worked. So I'm no more of an authority on this than what that implies. I think your best way to understand this is to take the same steps I took, or take a lesson from Tuck Andress... he does teach.
    Last edited by fep; 02-20-2009 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Alright I think I got it now, thanks. Yeah, the Tuck Andress article is great but i just get lost at certain points when he brings in angles and degrees into play. But I think I got it now.

User Info Menu

Does the oscillation naturally occur when you play with the Benson technique, or do you need to figure that out too?

User Info Menu

Carlos Santana uses that way of picking...You use three fingers (P) Thumb (I)1 finger and index,(M) middle finger all holding the pick at the same time...I use light gauge stings I don't really need that much force when I play... A light touch as much as posible but sometimes when I dig in or play the higher register I'll use all three fingers ,also like to use fingers and pick.

User Info Menu

Strange.. I always thought holding the pick parrallel to the picking motion was the normal way to hold/use a pick. Fep's image showing the "normal" way to pick feels incredibly awkward to me and gets a much more trebly sound.

User Info Menu

I have read tuck article, great article, I tried the technique, it works really well, for articulation at high speed, but it stiffened my wrist; that is a problem in other ways, cause I think stiffness is the #1 enemy of improvising.

I think Benson might be the fastest player I have ever heard, but also, kind of boring, cause no-one (except maybe charlie parker) can think whilst playing that fast, and it descends into boring riffitude I would say. Impressive technically, uninteresting musically.

User Info Menu

When I tried the Benson style as best I could, (I think the arched thumb is the essence of it) I found that there was 0 slipping of the pick.

I was a little surprised, cause I didn't think the pick was slipping, when holding it "normally" ;

I realized after trying this arched thumb benson style, that it was imperceptably slipping when I held it normally (as shown in the pictures in this thread. And that you lose some precision cause of that.

The Benson style gives you a vice grip on the pick, and I think that's where the great articulation comes from. But as I said, for me, it caused stiffness in my wrist.

User Info Menu

Hmm.... a little bit off-topic, but all I really know of George Benson is the pop stuff and some (very amazing mind you!!) Youtube videos. Any recommendations for classic Benson LPs in bebop style?

User Info Menu

Personally, I think Art Tatum was the fastest though. (0: