The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 122

User Info Menu

George Benson's album "Beyond the Blue Horizon", has some ridiculously fast guitar picking.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think the first 2 George Benson Quartet LPs on Columbia (It's Uptown & The George Benson Cookbook) are good places to start for his straight-ahead playing. These have been reissued on CD/are on iTunes and are pretty easy to get a hold of.

There are some really good tracks on the Verve/A&M/CTI discs, but in my opinion you have to dig through some less interesting material to find them (+1 for iTunes).

I really like his early work with the Jack McDuff Quartet, with whom he recorded several discs. His playing is much more raw and leans more towards his R&B upbringing, but it makes for some exciting music. "Live!" has long been a favorite of mine. It's very cool to hear Benson getting his thing together.

Alright, back to the topic at hand...

User Info Menu

Well, anyway this was (is?) a good thread. I hadn't even realized until now that my picking style is "normal". There are a lot of different approaches to check out. Something I hadn't really though about. Now, I just want to find that excellent damned fat, stone-type pick I had about 20 years ago but never saw again, except on line.

User Info Menu

I've used this method for a while, but recently I've run into problems with thumb soreness/tenderness that I'm trying to solve. I think the problem may stem from the fact that my thumb bends back like a "hitchhiker's thumb." This means I can bend the joint back so far that I can grip between both finger pads (thumb and index).
    Unfortunately, I'm thinking this could lead to problems if I don't modify it. Benson's thumb bends back, but mine seems to bend back even more than his. I've been wondering if that has been the source of the pain, or if this is just normal wear and tear that I need to build up a resistance to.
    Simonguitar, you said you grip the pick with a straight thumb, correct? Doesn't the thumbnail get in the way? I've tried it that way and I can't seem to get the same angle on the pick because my thumbnail makes contact with the face of the pick, making it hard to keep the pick from slipping.
    I'm set to go to a hand doctor in two weeks, and I'm really hoping I can find something out that way because I really don't want to change my style. I've been playing this way for 2 1/2 years and it works great for me.

By the way, the tenderness in my thumb only started since I've upped my playing time...yesterday it was 6 1/2 hours, and I noticed some fatigue and minor sharp pains in my thumb. It isn't serious now, but it seems like one of those things that could just get worse. I'm going to try playing for about 4 hours today (because I have to practice that much... I'm in music school). If it hurts again, I'm going to be really bummed out...

User Info Menu

In the UK (where I was born) a thumb that bends backwards like GB's is called a 'money thumb'. I don't have one (or the $$ that goes with it). I keep my thumbnail trimmed pretty short and I dont have a problem with it touching the pick and de-stabilizing my grip.

For all things related to hand and wrist pain, I swear by a simple excercise that uses a stick. Check out www.wristwand.com, you have to buy the stick to see how to perform the excersise, but it is very effective, and keeps me playing.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BluesWaltz

By the way, the tenderness in my thumb only started since I've upped my playing time...yesterday it was 6 1/2 hours, and I noticed some fatigue and minor sharp pains in my thumb. It isn't serious now, but it seems like one of those things that could just get worse. I'm going to try playing for about 4 hours today (because I have to practice that much... I'm in music school). If it hurts again, I'm going to be really bummed out...

holy crap! 6and1/2 hours

I'd be amazed if you practised for 6 and 1/2 hours, and didn't have a sore thumb, hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck, and back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    holy crap! 6and1/2 hours

I'd be amazed if you practised for 6 and 1/2 hours, and didn't have a sore thumb, hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck, and back.
    Yeah, you have a point there...but I was taking breaks on the hour, and really nothing was sore except for my picking hand! Weird, because I've had problems in the LEFT hand in the past.
    Also, I tried gripping the pick without bending the thumb and, although it comes close, it doesn't really seem to give me the stability I need. Hopefully, it turns out to be nothing serious and I can just continue playing with this style. I could see how the technique would work with a straight thumb, but since mine bends back so much, it never wants to stay straight so again it doesn't seem like there's enough stability there. I'll probably stick to my old style unless it starts hurting again...

User Info Menu

Anyone had any success with this?

To me its muchos ouchos!

But the tone produced is awesome! I seem to be getting his tone better from My Epi 335 dot!

Considering a GB200 costs nearly 2000UKP its weird that 80% of the Benson sound is in the Pick technique and not the actual guitar???

Eddie

User Info Menu

I've been doing this for a year now, and it's completely changed my playing. (I don't suck anymore! he).
    For me, a set of Thomastik-Infeld Swing 13's and picking with this method produce the ultimate guitar sound. Although, I've been playing for many years, I can't wait to get to play my guitar every day.

User Info Menu

Cheers Simon!

I am reluctant to commit 100% as I really need to be shown the technique one to one! Although people have explained it well? Without a physical demo I don't want to cock up my current technique (Normal), I am pretty much fluent at 16's at 140BPM and I use the Benson method for slower licks to get that "Snappy sound". If anyone produces a video I will certainly buy it!

User Info Menu

I have been trying to get a sense of what this technique actually looks like I can't quite see it. So, if you start with the flat plane of the pick parallel with the strings and then by bending the thumb backwards the pick left edge of the pick (towards the headstock) rotates up towards your head and you pick from that position? Ugh, it makes my thumb sore and doesn't feel comfortable at all haha

I was bored this morning, and I found that the Benson technique is probably THE most efficient way to do sweep picking there is. The pick, if you're holding it right, sounds the string by just sliding along them, instead of getting caught, which leads to a damn smooth sound.

User Info Menu

This is driving me nuts... I just can't be sure I am doing it right without more images. Can anyone link to a video of this in action? I can't quite find a santana/benson video that illustrates it well.

User Info Menu

A video will be cool! I will make a donation for whoever provides!
    I am so tempted to have a go!

Its taken me six months to convert from wrist picking movement to arm movement and I have to say although this was weird at first, it was well worth the work as my lines are much more fluid! I still struggle with sweep picking though! I can descend smoothly enough but ascending is a little 'bitty'!

Eddie

User Info Menu

Count me among the many who are frustrated, yet determined to get this 'Benson' style of picking down. So far, so confused.

However - Adam Rogers uses the same right hand style without bending his thumb back and i've been watching YouTube videos of him, in my effort to see exactly how the mechanics of this thing works. Incredibly fluid.
    Bobby Broom and to a certain extent Russell Malone also use this style.

Clip of Adam Rogers with M.Brecker quartet:

My prevailing problem is:
    1- Is there no anchor? Is the pinky the only anchor? Is the side (karate chop) of the hand anchored?
    2- I can't see playing this way without the right side of the pick's point going through the string for the downstroke and the left side for the upstroke -- which are both angles.
    In other words, with Benson/Rogers, is the pick just tilted in the opposite direction from the standard 'palm on the bridge' style? How can the hand be positioned this way and play with the pick 'dead on' like in bluegrass picking?

This way of picking looks and sounds SO efficient and economical and looks so effortless when they do it.

Glad this forum is discussing it.
    I know I'll eventually 'get it'....but need to know it correctly before practicing it correctly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by merseybeat
    A video will be cool! I will make a donation for whoever provides!
    I am so tempted to have a go!

Its taken me six months to convert from wrist picking movement to arm movement and I have to say although this was weird at first, it was well worth the work as my lines are much more fluid! I still struggle with sweep picking though! I can descend smoothly enough but ascending is a little 'bitty'!

Eddie
    I am pretty sure the Benson method relies on wrist motion rather than arm...

User Info Menu

someone really needs to post a video im sorry

User Info Menu

Ok try this link:
    is Sheryl Bailey (a well known player in New York) and this video shows quite well how she holds the pick with her thumb and first finger locked together. If you look closely, you can see that the pick is attacking the string with the EDGE of the pick and not the flat surface, and you can also see how economical her wrist movement is. (Oh, and that she's also just a fabulous player).

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    I had a long post written about my experience w/ this technique through Rodney Jones (prior to it even being a technique...). I decided it was too negative so I scrapped it.

I will say to be wary of 'magic elixirs'. This is simply another way of holding a pick. Nothing more, nothing less. It is no more or less efficient, fluid, liquid, blah, blah, a method than any number of other ways. If you need proof, take a look at the multitude of ways that your favorite musicians hold their picks and their ease at creating music. They found something that was comfortable/natural for them and worked hard at the actual production of music. I have heard far too many times that the right hand is just not a consideration for the guys I admire (I have asked them directly). It simply does what the left hand tells it to do.

I am not trying to disuade giving it a go, but I do want to add something to the conversation other than glowing praise.

Consider how valuable your musical time is and think hard about whether it is worth a hot second spent not furthering your musical goals. The idea of taking a second away from dealing w/ music is just not interesting. And when you toss in frustration (?), physical pain (!) and the loss of hybrid picking...forget it. Like Monk said....a genius is one most like himself.....

User Info Menu

Well-said Jeff. I think that is exactly right as far as technique is concerned. If your thumb sounds good, like Wes Montgomery, play with that. If you have only two fingers, try to think like Django. Can you play with your feet? Who knows?

User Info Menu

Great thread. This helped me a lot. My thumb bends like that, so holding the pick that way is no problem. Indeed, I *used* to hold it that way but a teacher told me it was wrong and for years I've struggled with 'conventional' grips that worked inconsistently for me. Talk about frustration! What's key to this for me is my thumb can *stay* that way. (I've always had trouble with the pick 'moving around on me' while playing. It made for terrible inconsistency, which has been the greatest single frustration of my playing life.)

User Info Menu

Ok...something screwed up the link. Here's the link to Sheryl Bailey:

About 30 seconds into the song, the camera angle moves to include her right hand.

I am late on this thread but all the talk of double jointed thumbs leads me to believe a key element is missing; namely the rotation of the elbow joint.
    Put the palm of your right hand on your stomach. Your right elbow joint is now in a similar position as traditional picking with the back of the hand and forearm parallel to the guitar strings. Now, pretend you want to create a table with your right palm on which you could place a cup of tea. This is the kind on elbow rotation I am talking about. Now your palm is facing up and the back of your hand is facing the floor. You obviously cannot pick a guitar with your arm in this position so bring it back about half way. Hold the pick (I use the rounded edge, like George, for a fatter sound) between your thumb and straightened index finger and anchor your pinky on the pick guard. Keep the angle of the pick consistent on all of the strings. That is what should determine the exact amount of elbow rotation.
    Hope that makes some sense. Good luck.

User Info Menu

i wish there was a explanation video about his picking! many great guitar player played this way.

User Info Menu

I moved over to this way of doing things a few months ago and I'm still not 100% with it but I'm not going back to the old way as for me it gives much better smoothness and better dynamics with chords. Takes all tension out of the right arm as well.