The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30
    Quote Originally Posted by flugel
    High tension strings will help you, but playings chords will be harder, though.
    Yes, I've used D'addario high tension nylons on my Tak TH90 classic and although they were "crisper" for notes
    and note harmonics, and chord arpeggios, they just didn't feel "right" when strumming through a chord.
    I guess the flamenco players probably prefer them, but I just like the feel of regular tension nylon.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not real savvy on strings for this guitar. Currently Savarez 520 J (High Tension or Hard Tension, not sure which is correct) Nylon strings are on, but I want to try *D'Addario EJ44C, Extra Hard Tension too.

Also, there is a fellow on JamPlay.com that teaches Flamenco. For starters he demonstrates the "Rumba Flamenca Strum" and "Andulusian Cadence" a pretty neat rhythm. See this at Marcelo's Free Lesson. Even my no nails, have allowed me to practice this. Just another add-on to my at home repertoire.

*on package it says: Guaranteed to last 2-3 times longer. My question: Compared to ??

Regards,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyK
    I
    *on package it says: Guaranteed to last 2-3 times longer. My question: Compared to ??

That is subjective depending on how hard you pick or finger pick.
    Nylon strings do stretch and if you keep whacking away at them, they will go out of tune
    and have to be retuned..
    eventually the silver wound strings (EAD) will start to break down, when the wound metal part of the string and the nylon stretch at different
    rates.
    At that point the string or set has to be changed..so really there is no straight answer here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune
    Though, at least some kinda speed is possible to achieve with plectrum on classical guitars it seems

You certainly don't need a pick to play scale runs at speeds this performer does. Personally, having played classical for several years, I find a pick on nylon strings to sound terribly course; I can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude Moser
    You certainly don't need a pick to play scale runs at speeds this performer does. Personally, having played classical for several years, I find a pick on nylon strings to sound terribly course; I can't stand it.

He may be fast but in showing his blazing picking speed he is also sloppy with the pick. A true classical artist uses their long nails to best advantage and sometimes when doing tremolos, the fleshy side of the fingers is used to provide a different mellow tone to the notes. I find this guy BORING..although... he is definitely fast.
    Now here is the way it should be played (Sharon Isbin Asturias)
    Watch as she picks off the harmonic with finesse.
    Last edited by Daniel Kuryliak; 10-29-2013 at 09:14 AM.