The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

This post arises from another thread where we were talking about pick palming. I thought it would be interesting to see how other list members "palm" their pick.
    I guess.....technically speaking I don't exactly palm my pick, I just slip it over to another finger.
    Here is a quick video I did.
    Perhaps you could share how you manage this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do it like the way you demo'd with traditional grip - except the pick is tucked in my middle finger, not the index - I might have picked that up from a Reb Beach instructional video back in the day lol

User Info Menu

I have a super weird way of doing this that works very well for me. I've never seen anyone else do it like me. Most of the players I know tuck it between the fingers like you are doing in your vid. I actually hold the pick in the crook of the second segment of my middle finger, so that I continue to keep finger independence. It's really easy to do.

I doubt I can explain it in words, so I'll put up a vid later.

User Info Menu

Hi Phil, It looks like you've changed the way you hold a pick.

I'll define the hand as having three knuckles with the third knuckle being the one closest to the tip of the finger. With the pick staying against the thumb, I slide the pick and my thumb to the second knuckle of my middle finger and then hold the pick between the index and middle finger. I can fingerpick with some independence between my index and middle finger this way.

This a is something that can be practiced away from the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    I have a super weird way of doing this that works very well for me. I've never seen anyone else do it like me. Most of the players I know tuck it between the fingers like you are doing in your vid. I actually hold the pick in the crook of the second segment of my middle finger, so that I continue to keep finger independence. It's really easy to do.

I could never "palm" my pick, friends could, I do it like ECJ does and that works for me the little that I do it. I played Country music for awhile and did a lot of pick and fingers, I even as one point worked thru the Giuliani 120 exercises book using pick and fingers so I don't need to palm a pick much.

User Info Menu

That's what I do too. It is a bit prohibitive for the movement of my second and third finger but I can do it quickly and it works well.

Hi ecj do you mean like Mr Pizzareli?

How do you palm your pick?-pizzpick-jpg

It seems to me that the "best" way to palm would be whatever way allowed most independence.
    My way certainly does not. So I'd be happy to change if someone can display a better method.......that doesn't require a thumb pick.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hi Phil, It looks like you've changed the way you hold a pick.

I'll define the hand as having three knuckles with the third knuckle being the one closest to the tip of the finger. With the pick staying against the thumb, I slide the pick and my thumb to the second knuckle of my middle finger and then hold the pick between the index and middle finger. I can fingerpick with some independence between my index and middle finger this way.

This a is something that can be practiced away from the guitar.

Hi Frank, yeah I changed my grip yet again and this is the most comfortable way for me now. I can strike the string at the Benson angle and mute like my old technique AND strum without dropping the pick. I just found a way that worked for me. Very similar to Mike Moreno except I use my index finger to push the top of the pick which gives me the angle.

I'd really like to see how you palm the pick. It sounds like a method that allows some freedom of movement.

User Info Menu

Crazy! I guess I do it just like Pizzareli. I've never seen any other guitar player do it that way in person, so I just thought I was a weirdo.

I did a quick vid to show how I can switch between them. I don't usually switch this much in a single song, but I thought it would show off how quick this technique can work to try to do it without dropping a beat or losing groove. I try to show the process of the switch close up at the end.

Hey ecj very cool! Great playing and very swift palming. I'll give that method a try!

Look how fast and how often Jesse Van Ruller palms in this vid. Fast!!
    He uses his index finger to hold it which means he can't use that finger at all. So he's using his pinky to pluck as well.
    I tried this for a while and may still employ the technique. The great thing was that it taught me to pluck with my pinky, which I've never done before!

User Info Menu

Wow, that is super weird to look at. I've always thought that Van Ruller's picking grip looked super awkward, too, kind of like Metheny's. It hurts my pinky just looking at it.

Doesn't stop him from being an absolutely incredible player, though.

User Info Menu

I put mine in my mouth. Red Jazz III's... looks like I'm wearing lipstick if the photos of the gig are blurred!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by colski
    I put mine in my mouth. Red Jazz III's... looks like I'm wearing lipstick if the photos of the gig are blurred!
    Try doing that REALLY fast, and your lips will look red because you just inadvertent broke your nose!

I put it between my middle and ring finger. That means I can pluck lines by alternating either my thumb and forefinger, or my index and middle. It's hard to alternate index and middle when the pick is in between them.

User Info Menu

I do what John Pitz is shown doing . . somewhat. I hold it between the same two knuckles, but I hold it in my index finger .. and I hold it from the sides, not from the top and the point. I feel too insecure with it the way John is holding it. I get a better grip when tucking it between those two knuckles from the side. I can't remember ever dropping the pick during transfer.

User Info Menu

Pip and dip joints.

User Info Menu

Hi.

I had to check LOL
    I do it the same way Jesse does: Just like Mr. Pizzarelli but the pick is in the middle joint of the index finger.
    This was not a consciuous decision. I guess I do it that way because I like to play with plek and fingers
    and so I am so used to plucking with finger 3,4 and 5 that I do that when I use the thumb instead of pick, too.

Whatever works, right?

User Info Menu

I meant to post this all week but I couldn't do it before tonight.

Here is Mr. Pizzarelli explaining his technique.

That's great.
    I love the DIY aspect of the guitar.
    Just make it work whatever way you can!

User Info Menu

I press down with my thumb on the plac which gives me enough control to slide it across my palm and then roll my little finger - pinky? - over it. That then gives me the thumb and first 3 fingers free.