The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is the max speed at which you can play 16th notes *cleanly* ?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 80 bpm

44 13.84%
  • 80-100 bpm

37 11.64%
  • 100-120 bpm

63 19.81%
  • 120-140 bpm

84 26.42%
  • 140-160 bpm

34 10.69%
  • 160-180 bpm

25 7.86%
  • more than 180 bpm

31 9.75%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 318

User Info Menu

why not .. i am too on the same verge of the thinking and getting the news about the recent price cuts on the Apple Products, i will say .. Let's GO !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can play the A section to One Note Samba > 200BPM 16's
    I cannot plat the B section at > 200BPM.

Actually seems a strange question? It depends on what you are playing surely!

Eddie

User Info Menu

It does not depend if you only take the technical side into account. Which was the point of the poll : it concerns speed on a purely mechanical level.

User Info Menu

So what's the real question then? How fmany times per second can you pick a single note? In troduce another exersize and it already matter what uou play.

User Info Menu

After 9 pages and 176 votes, I think people got what the real question is.

User Info Menu

I was just giving a short precision. But you come and say "what's the real question ?" like the thread had just been posted. If you really want to know, then I'm sure you'll find the answer somewhere in the 9 pages.

User Info Menu

Whatever I asked, it still depend of what one plays.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Whatever I asked, it still depend of what one plays.
    merseybeat said that depending on the harmonic content, he can't play at the same speed. I replied that it does not depend on the harmonic content, since we are only talking about the mechanical side. Earlier in the thread, we talked about how the "test" should be done with a familiar major scale pattern. Are things clear for you now ?

merseybeat : I didn't mean to be offensive to you, so if it's how it came across I'm sorry.

User Info Menu

I sure do hope that I'll spend less time thinking about guitar in general and more time enjoying it when I have that much experience !
    Last edited by Nabil B; 03-09-2014 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

We can focus this by using an mp3 of a song like "Autumn Leaves" and say a short violin finger dexterity étude from Wolfhart's exercises and record to these two tracks.

The étude would measure pure speed and the Autumn Leaves will record "functional" speed. IE the speed and clarity of ideas while improvising over the tune.

And then we post the results.

Just a shot in the dark.

We all can decide what BPM to record to. I have software that can burn these tracks at speeds up to at least 240 BPM.
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 03-09-2014 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

How fast can I play?

Not fast enough to play many of Charlie Parker's heads at tempo.

User Info Menu

Too much importance seems to put upon how fast a guitar player is. I believe speed to be important but you can over play any technique. You need variety. That is my opinion. Thanks for listening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Why is there such an emphasis on speed as a metric of musicality? I never really understood it.
    The OP never got even close to mentioning anything about speed = musicality...you brought that notion to this thread. And nobody will ever deny that when a guy can burn at high tempos, it definitely adds to them being a complete and well rounded musician. Playing at high tempos is a subject within improv that takes dedicated practice just like scales and two-five's.

It's nice to see where others are at. I found it interesting that I happened to lie in the majority. To anybody interested in developing their speed, I highly recommend Pat Martino's 'Linear Expressions' book (Linear Expressions - Pat Martino: Pat Martino: 9781423460893: Amazon.com: Books). The extensive lines he uses to cover each part of the fingerboard boosted my speed to a much higher level very quickly. I think every serious jazz guitarist should know all 5 lines.

User Info Menu

Speed of a different tempo! Enjoy! :-)

User Info Menu

Blimey, I don't think I have ever played that fast! In Bluegrass, playing 8th notes at about 125 is considered the starting point of fast and thatvthen goes up to about 250/260 with 8ths and a few triplets. You sure you are dong 16ths at 132 - that's about 35 notes a second!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDowning
    Blimey, I don't think I have ever played that fast! In Bluegrass, playing 8th notes at about 125 is considered the starting point of fast and thatvthen goes up to about 250/260 with 8ths and a few triplets. You sure you are dong 16ths at 132 - that's about 35 notes a second!
    it's exactly 8.8 notes per second

User Info Menu

You are right! My maths was way off! It is the same as playing 8th notes at 264 which is what top bluegrass players hit. So still bloody fast. Playing cleanly atbthatvspeedvwould be the challenge.

Forget my earlier post during a 6.00 breakfast - I am rightly corrected Randalljazz!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDowning
    You are right! My maths was way off! It is the same as playing 8th notes at 264 which is what top bluegrass players hit. So still bloody fast. Playing cleanly atbthatvspeedvwould be the challenge.

Forget my earlier post during a 6.00 breakfast - I am rightly corrected Randalljazz!
    There are a lot of famous bop and post-bop recordings that are well above 300 bpm. Some of them approaching 400. If you want to play with the big boys in jazz, you better be able to play your eighth note lines at 300 at the least.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    There are a lot of famous bop and post-bop recordings that are well above 300 bpm. Some of them approaching 400. If you want to play with the big boys in jazz, you better be able to play your eighth note lines at 300 at the least.
    joe hangs at about 386

ed makes a valiant effort a bit further north

User Info Menu

Playing the licks you've played for years fast is not difficult, playing new and improv stuff fast is beyond my hobbyist abilities.

User Info Menu

The title of this blog is great from a marketing standpoint.

What if it had been...

How can I learn to play Cherokee WITH GREAT MUSICIANSHIP at this tempo? (It probably wouldn't have as many responses as what this one currently has?) Actually, if I may quibble, Marsalis plays the head his own way. The first section original head is SO MAJESTIC over that tempo it, gives me shivers sometimes.

The Original melody
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 04-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: Wynton Marsalis clip, I can't remember when/ if I witnessed this level of technical competency, on any instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Re: Wynton Marsalis clip, I can't remember when/ if I witnessed this level of technical competency, on any instrument.
    Wynton’s performance,..it’s frightening. Literally.

Imagine a fireman holding a giant hose that sprays colorful fireworks towards the sky but the colors hang in the sky in slow motion.

My ears can hear the notes clearly but my fingers? When they try to recreate a sound like that?
    My attempt is like trying to take a galactic flight from planet Earth to Planet Mars. J

This is playing FAST WITH a strong sense of MUSICIANSHIP.

PS: Here is Wynton doing a piece about his long time friend and blind piano player Marcus Roberts. Inspriration for us guitarists can come from anywhere. Marcus's comments at the end of the video about virtuosity and doing what one loves says it all for us... guitarists.
    The Virtuoso: Marcus Roberts - CBS News
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 04-03-2014 at 02:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I do not play fast at all mostly quarter and 8th notes with as few 16th notes but I have no desire to go much faster than that I prefer slow smooth jazz with short bursts of speed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Conman
    I do not play fast at all mostly quarter and 8th notes with as few 16th notes but I have no desire to go much faster than that I prefer slow smooth jazz with short bursts of speed
    That's cool too! You're right there with more than a few guitar stalwarts. Jobim. Hall. Sco goes slow a lot… and more...