View Poll Results: What is the max speed at which you can play 16th notes *cleanly* ?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 80 bpm

43 14.78%
  • 80-100 bpm

34 11.68%
  • 100-120 bpm

55 18.90%
  • 120-140 bpm

74 25.43%
  • 140-160 bpm

32 11.00%
  • 160-180 bpm

24 8.25%
  • more than 180 bpm

29 9.97%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 451 to 458 of 458

User Info Menu

'Liquid lunch ?'

Sure, where you at ?

It's not my habit but I have a few days off and I am too exhausted from my run last night to practice.

D.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You go take your lunch, and don't forget your medication....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    You go take your lunch, and don't forget your medication....
    I always leave a small plate aside for my medication to enjoy.

D.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall is probably say in heaven I hope...……….wow and I got to the top of heap of guitar players and I cannot get past most of what the rest can do.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

Never thought about how fast I play guitar, however, I also play Mandolin an
    can easily do 250 BPM all day tremolo picking!
    measure with micrometer... mark with chalk... cut with axe

User Info Menu

I wonder how honestly folks here would respond to a poll that asks how fast you can actually improvise? Say solid stream 8th notes against a Jazz Blues in F.... ? My bet is that it'd be a fair bit slower than piano and horn players. My guess is that an average for guitar players might be around 220 bpm, and maybe up near 300 bpm for horns and piano. What'd be your guess?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    I wonder how honestly folks here would respond to a poll that asks how fast you can actually improvise? Say solid stream 8th notes against a Jazz Blues in F.... ? My bet is that it'd be a fair bit slower than piano and horn players. My guess is that an average for guitar players might be around 220 bpm, and maybe up near 300 bpm for horns and piano. What'd be your guess?
    I agree.

I was playing along to Franky V, he just came out with a new "Trading Solos" course on Truefire.

One of the tunes is Sweet Georgia Brown, a favorite of many on JGF.

He calls it at 220bpm.

I tried it initially at 220bpm and stumbled all over.

Then I figured it out. It wasn't necessarily technique (though you have to have some facility on the guitar to play above 200bpm).

No, it was my relationship with the beat. I think we've discussed this at one point, but I think we should bring it back...

When you play fast--think slow. Hearing constant quarter note at 220bpm, for me at least, is quite stressful and un-nerving.

Let's take 224bpm, because the math works out nice and neat.

What I do, is I divide 8 into 224bpm and 16 into 224bpm.

I do this because 224/8 gives me 224 bpm with a click every 2 measures (that's 8 quarter notes). So I would set my metronome at 28bpm--you might need a special metronome for this.

If I do 224/16, that gives me 224 bpm with a click every 4 measures (that's 16 quarter notes). So I would set my metronome at 14bpm--you REALLY need a special metronome for this!

Hearing less clicks at faster tempos "de-stresses" the tempo. I find it meditative. Plus, you hear in a more "musical" manner because you are hearing time subdivided into common phrase lengths.

I spoke about this on my Journal of Performance Ear Training a while back. Lage Lund talks about this concept a lot. And most jazz drummers that I talk to are EXTREMELY familiar with this concept of marking time at uptempos.

User Info Menu

Eighths at 220. Not at 240. I'm often frustrated by lack of speed.

During solos, I can prehear the occasional faster passage but I have to be careful because I often miss the time when I try.

Where other players can build excitement with great note choices at rapid fire tempos, I can't. Can't double time a medium tempo swing tune. Can't think that fast, can't play that fast. Although I can usually get written out passages up to speed for my big band and octet, I don't have much of a repertoire of licks I can play fast. And, I'm not very interested in improvising that way.

I've posted clips before -- generally trying to build solos with long tones, changes of octave, rhythmic ideas and whatever else doesn't require great speed.