View Poll Results: Do you prefer to stand or sit when you play jazz?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to stand when I play

39 24.38%
  • I prefer to sit when I play jazz

121 75.63%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 105

User Info Menu

As I get get older I always opt to sit. But I also got more comfortable playing jazz sitting. Since that's the way I practice my arms got comfortable with that so I don't feel I can really play at my optimum standing. I don't play a big arch top but rather a Gibson ES-355, so weight is not an issue. I have done recently a 6 hour gig where I was required to stand the whole time and I survived, and didn't really have a problem, which made me re-think my justifications for sitting, for about a minute.

How about you? Do you sit or stand?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

always stand. better projection, better for expression, better for the back.
    "Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

I like to sit either chair or like bar stool.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

I use a fold-up bar stool cuz my back has some lower back issues when I stand for a long time.

wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

Stand??? Are we talking about marching band???

User Info Menu

I use a bar stool. I bring the $20 one I get from Target. I've had to buy four now as I sometimes either leave it at the gig or someone takes it, thinking that it belongs to the venue.

User Info Menu

If someone told me to stand I'd pack my stuff and say have a nice life. No more standing or song and dance from Stevebol.

I better get a stool I suppose.

User Info Menu

I did a gig in England. It paid well and they flew me over. It was a big band, concert backing a bunch of singers. Part of it was a dance. 6 hours standing. I couldn't quite say no after they flew me over.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 04-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.

User Info Menu

I like to sit unless it's a gig that demands otherwise. I also play gypsy jazz, and nobody stands while playing those guitars so I try to standardize my approach that way so there is no big transition when I play the different styles. But I sometimes practice when standing up just to know that I'll be able to play somewhat decent if I ever find myself in a situation when I can't sit down, and for that reason I always bring a strap in my guitar case too.

I think whatever makes the player plays his best is the best way. But being able to play good standing up covers all bases so it's good to at least be able to do so if you ever have to.
    If you play rock, funk, soul, rhyhm & blues or any of those styles it is probably expected that you play standing up. But as a member of the audience I couldn't care less as long as the player can play. But some people do get hung up on things like that. Don't know why.

User Info Menu

I like to sit when I play Jazz. I use pretty much any armless chair available, but I have a cheap adjustable-height classical footrest that I use for my right foot. When I play rock or pop, I usually stand, but after 3 hours my feet are tired!
    "Thanks, but you should have heard what I was trying to play!" - T. Monk
    http://network.online.berklee.edu/profile/1200078

User Info Menu

I sit on as bartstool when playing my jazz gigs. I started with classic guitar so prefer this, but when playing rock stuff when much younger everyone stood. I think it is also more ergonomic for the hands when sitting, I cannot understrand how anyone can play well with theor guitars slung at waist level, thats just for show and has nothing to do with music.
    Ben Hogan quotes ... “It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get”

User Info Menu

How about the Jimmy Page style where he has his Les Paul down around his knees with both arms straight down?

User Info Menu

Stand, I hate sitting in a performance setting, takes a lot away from the visual aspect, plus I'm free to move around.
    I have a guitar which comes with no strap buttons, so I was forced to only sit, since I don't own power tools to install them. For the year or so that I owned the guitar, I tried those over the headstock straps and it was horribly uncomfortable, so I was confined to sitting, which is comfortable but if the guitar slipped or slid out of position, I had to lift it while playing to put it back in position which is distracting.
    While standing, the guitar is floating and a simple push or pull will readjust to comfort.

That, and I just like standing. I do keep my strap up pretty high.

User Info Menu

I think every guitar player should stand when performing. The problem is we tend to practice sitting down. And the guitar and how you play it can feel very different when standing vs. sitting. So I strive to stand while practicing but it's tough.

User Info Menu

I have to sit. I have lower back issues and I also try to keep the back of the guitar off my body as much as possible. can't do that standing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    I use a bar stool. I bring the $20 one I get from Target. I've had to buy four now as I sometimes either leave it at the gig or someone takes it, thinking that it belongs to the venue.
    This reminds me. Years ago I bought a drummer's throne (-the top was more like a bicycle seat than a stool) and enjoyed it. (We parted ways when I entered seminary.) I use a chair from Goodwill now and it's fine but I wonder if any other guitarists have tried drummer's thrones / stools.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Drummer's thrones are cool - not too big, and you can adjust the height of the nice hydraulic versions.

I like to stand. But, I saw BB King a few years back (he was 80 or 81), and he said, "After 80, I've earned it. I can sit if I want to!" And, so it was.

User Info Menu

I have thought about a drum stool. But it sits too low. My compromise is a bar stool which is half standing. Many of my gigs I'm the band leader and do have to be cognizant of being on stage with people watching. I have to think a LITTLE about stage presence.

User Info Menu

I have thought about a drum stool. But it sits too low. My compromise is a bar stool which is half standing. Many of my gigs I'm the band leader and do have to be cognizant of being on stage with people watching. I have to think a LITTLE about stage presence.
    That's why I like a bar stool is you can just rest your butt on it without having to climb on it when mobility is necessary.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Do you sit of stand when performing?

I like two options...:-)

User Info Menu

If the booze is free, I'll usually lie down and play.
    Barney Kessel was asked, “What’s the hardest thing about studio work?” He replied, “Finding a parking place.”
    "I don't know what other people are doing - I just know about me."- Thelonious Monk

User Info Menu

Besides serious and permanent lower back issues, I prefer sitting down. I wedge the guitar between my leg and my chest so the back of the guitar is not in contact with my body and thus can vibrate better. (I like a mix amp and acoustic tone.)
    Richard

User Info Menu

Earlier years..standing....

Now....always sitting....on a piano stool...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

Depends on the gig/format.

Playing with the quartet, it's generally standing. I like the freedom of being able to move and it helps me to interact with the rest of the band. the music that we play is more lively and we tend to be the focus of attention in the places we play, so it's good for the audience to have something visual going on too.

With the duos, I sit. The gigs tend to be more background music for people drinking & dining in restaurants or wine bars. I have a bar-stool (one that folds flat for easy transport, great idea!); so does the double-bassist in that duo and it's more appropriate for that ambience.
    Last edited by mangotango; 05-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.

User Info Menu

You need to put "Both" as a voting option. It often depends on the setting/gig, etc.

User Info Menu

I didn't think of both. But I guess the questions was not so much do you do both or whatever is appropriate but rather what you prefer. I was thinking of preference as being a either or, not both.

User Info Menu

I sit...... usually on a stool for jazz and stand for rock and country..or blues
    But since your question was addressed to jazz....I sit.
    "If you play sweet child 'o mine again...I'm breaking your guitar"

User Info Menu

Interesting poll. I tend to sit when I play Jazz, it seems the proper thing to do. Fusion must be played stood up though

User Info Menu

I stand.

I just sit too much in general... at home I'm mostly sitting, at work I'm mostly sitting.

When I play guitar I like to stand whether I'm practicing or performing. I think it's good for my back to stand more often.

At my place of work, some people are getting their desks raised so they can work while standing. It's apparently better for your health.
    Last edited by fep; 04-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

It is much better for your back to stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango View Post
    I have a bar-stool (one that folds flat for easy transport, great idea!); so does the double-bassist in that duo and it's more appropriate for that ambience.
    What's the make/model of your folding bar stool?

User Info Menu

I always had to stand. If I had to stand then so does everyone else under 50 years old. Everyone. Unless they're legitimately handicapped or something.

User Info Menu

I usually crouch behind the nearest piece of sturdy furniture. (I'm not so good at this guitar stuff yet.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    I always had to stand. If I had to stand then so does everyone else under 50 years old. Everyone. Unless they're legitimately handicapped or something.
    So you have to stand if you're under 50? Whew. I'm ok. I can still sit.

User Info Menu

So you have to stand if you're under 50? Whew. I'm ok. I can still sit.
    Just kidding Henry. I just never expected to go down standing up.

No rest for the wicked they say
    Last edited by Stevebol; 04-27-2013 at 06:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Outside of previous problems in the back or legs or feet, standing is better for one's health, and better for the audience. Even some classical players are starting to stand, especially if there isn't a raised stage, so that the audience can see the fingers.

User Info Menu

I think everyone in a big band should stand, just so the trumpet players won't feel so special.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 06-11-2013 at 03:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm 68, and in general a bit worn out so I prefer to sit. I've never played a jazz gig where I had to stand but I do practice standing at times. I play a L5 CES and like it well tucked up. I use a drummers throne and being 6'6" find it puts my guitar into my preferred position quite well. Also, I like that the seat slides off the pedestal and the pedestal folds up to make for easy transport.

The stool was given to me as a gift and there is no name on it. I know it was one of the more inexpensive models.

User Info Menu

Eileen.........
    haw haw haw

User Info Menu

With a big band I will sit on a chair, but when I'm in a combo setting I will stand. If I am doing a duet with a singer, I will most likely be sitting on a stool/chair.
    I practice sitting with a strap, so the transition from sitting to standing is easy, and I dont have to change my technique that much.

User Info Menu

If you are strapped to the chair, how do you stand up?? OK, I'm sorry, I could not help it.

User Info Menu

Both.
    Pete Martin - just a mandolin guy but loves jazz guitar
    www.PetimarPress.com
    Www.Jazz-Mandolin.com
    Pete Plays Wes free download
    www.jazz-mandolin.com/PetePlaysWes.xht

User Info Menu

Both, but I probably mostly sit while practicing. I just recently adjusted my strap so that the guitar sits even higher - it's better in every way except picking the low fat E string...for that my right shoulder feels tense...and makes the transition to standing even easier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    Both, but I probably mostly sit while practicing.
    Me, too, pretty much. Sit when I'm home because I don't have a lot of floor space in my practice area, too many guitars and amps on the floor . Gigs I stand because I also sing and I feel it's better for the voice support to stand. Practice with my trio, usually stand except when working on new arrangements for some reason.
    Brad
    Guitars:
    1975 Guild Artist Award
    1986 Guild X-170
    1975 Guild Mark V
    1930s Metro B archtop
    1995 Epi Howard Roberts Custom
    1999 Godin ACS Nylon with synth
    ??? Giannini 7 string classical

User Info Menu

I prefer to sit and hold my guitar on to the thighs..i just hate the idea of standing while the guitar hanging around your neck..that is pretty much hectic and just annoying..so i choose to sit rather than standing.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I never replied to this. I bought it from IKEA.

FRANKLIN Bar stool with backrest, foldable - birch veneer/silver-colour, 63 cm - IKEA#

Bought it in a sale for £15, which kind of compensated a little for the sheer tedium of shopping in the flat-pack hell that is IKEA.

User Info Menu

I have a strong tendency to sit whilst playing the guitar in nearly almost setting, unless of course I am in a quartet with a bassist lead instrumentalist other than myself and a bassist, then I just feel awkward sitting.

I honestly believe it is more intimate, as the guitar was conjured to be.
    "Master your instrument, master the music & then forget all that & just play Jazz." - Charlie Parker

User Info Menu

As long as we are all sitting down (well, mostly) I'll re-ask a question i dropped into another thread. If you are playing a Tele, or other small-bodied guitar, which leg do you rest it on?

I find it easier to put it on the "wrong" leg (left leg -- and I am right handed). My gut gets in the way when going for the higher frets if it is resting on my right leg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    I find it easier to put it on the "wrong" leg (left leg -- and I am right handed). My gut gets in the way when going for the higher frets if it is resting on my right leg
    That's how most of the classical guys put it, I wouldn't say it's wrong.

I use left leg for my classical, and usually right for my electrics btw.

User Info Menu

I can't tilt the guitar back enough to see the strings and frets properly when I'm standing. This is due entirely to my absolute beginner level of playing.